Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Singer Featherweight Machines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Singer Featherweight Machines Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kathy.goins
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kathy
Lucasville Ohio
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:50:57 PM  Show Profile
I would love to hear from members about their use of, knowledge of, search of, Singer 221Featherweight sewing machines ...

I'm just starting my love affair with these little treasures!

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I've purchased 3 Featherweight 221s from eBay over the years. I still have 2 of them. Love them. I learned to sew on my mother's Featherweight.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Kathy.goins
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kathy
Lucasville Ohio
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  7:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda, this was my first attempt to chat since signing up for the Farmgirl Connection. I'm so excited about meeting so many new friends! Have you ever bought a colored featherweight or are all of yours black machines? I've seen some white and some red ones...
Go to Top of Page

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  03:43:29 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely love Featherweights. Not only do they sew beautifully, they are actually light as a feather! I used to sew on one that came with its own collapsible table (like a card table). Even the table surface was a lovely finish.

I also have 2 66s that I love late 1920s - 1930s). These are small, black, portable machines with a top-loading bobbin, that operate with a knee lever. They sew only forward straight stitches, but are such good workhorses. I have had them serviced (cleaned and oiled)many times, and they just hum. You might recognize these in antique and vintage shops because they have a wooden cover that is dome-shaped. The thing about my 66s ... they are NOT light as a feather. But I do love them.

... braiding away in VT's beautiful Northeast Kingdom ...

http://etsy.com/shop/woolenbrae
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  04:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I, too, love my featherweights. I use them most of the time for piecing. I have one of the FW card tables - it was my mother's. I love using it - when I have the room. I am currently using my dining room to sew, and there is not enough room for another table in there.

I guess you couold say I collect sewing machines. I have 24 sewing machines - at least 15 of them are antiques. I have 2 Featherweights, 2 Singer 301s (one has a table just like the FW table), 3 treadle machines (a Singer, A Wilcox and Gibbs chain-stitch machine, and a Franklin in a parlor cabinet), 3 hand-cranks, one treadle head-only, an old electric Singer with the black orange-peel finish, a Kenmore in a cabinet I need to refinish, a Singer Pinker, and a Gimbel (I think). I also have 2 old children's sewing machines, a Pfaff that has died, a Janome I inherited from my cousin, a low-end Singer from WalMart, a Brother PE150 embroidery machine, a serger, a Singer with cams, and one I can't remember.

Have fun with your Featherweight.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  04:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Ok...Linda, sewing machine collector, I have two machines from my grandmother's house. One in the treddle cabinet and one in a little case. One or both, ????, has/have been "electrafied".sp...I have not looked at them in years as they are stored in the old garage. How would you suggest I learn more about them. Such as the company who made them, etc. I used to treddle away at grandma's house as a kid, stitching just to experience the motion/action. Have you had yours serviced, if so where???
Several years ago, at 4-H sewing camp, a mom brought her young son and their featherweight machine. He made his projects on that machine. I asked her about service then. She said they had gone to Arlington.
I would love to get them cleaned up and sewing...if they are fixable.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 06 2017 05:07:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  05:07:49 AM  Show Profile
:) Yes, quiltee, I guess you could say that you are a collector of sewing machines ... :) Wow! so many stitching spirits in your home ... nice!

... braiding away in VT's beautiful Northeast Kingdom ...

http://etsy.com/shop/woolenbrae
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  11:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Many of the sewing machine repair places (most in quilt shops) service Featherweight machines. The parts are readily available for them by most any sewing machine repairman. Newer machines can only be serviced by authorized repair centers because only those authorized can get the parts. I love my featherweights.

The manufacturer name and model numbers should be on the machines you have - many are on a plate and some are underneath the machine. I have not had mine serviced, yet, but I know once or twice a year there is a group that meets here in Lone Oak (TOGA - TreadleOn) and there are repair people who work on all the OLD machines including treadles, hand-cranks, and other. A treadle is awfully heavy to lug to a repairman, but it is really only the machine head itself that would need repairs or a tune up.

I may get the book written by a farmgirl that tells how to repair and clean most all vintage machines. You can get a link to it here http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77742 . I did buy a large bottle of sewing machine oil - it can be used to clean the machines but you have to be really careful on the decals. There are How-Tos on the Internet regarding this. I will also check with one of the TOGA people to see if there is another book that they refer to for cleaninig and servicinng vintage machines.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

nancydear
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach Florida
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:28:00 PM  Show Profile
I have a Featherweight that I love. I did get my first one back in the 50's but it was stolen some years ago. The one I have right now I found at an antique store. There is a site on the internet called Singer Featherweight. They have lots of info and things to help with those who own the machines. Even though I have a couple of other sewing machines I still love using my little black Featherweight.

annie laurel
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:33:02 PM  Show Profile
I own three now. Purchased the latest one on Ebay. It was horribly packed. Filthy machine. I was able to get back 3/4 of what I paid. It is now completely fixed and running beautifully. It's worth learning how to clean, oil and lube these machines. Right now it's sewing an UFO I dragged off a shelf. Love how they stitch. Her name is Rogue. My other two black ones are Lavender and Eliza. She wears a spool pin quilt block done in 1800 reproduction fabrics. Rouge will wear a red block and Lavender, a lavender one. Such fun!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:40:44 PM  Show Profile
I love that you named your machines, Sylvia. Thanks to all of you for the information. Perhaps I can get my husband to help me get them out when it warms up next week. He and my son cleaned out the old garage and put them neatly in the very back.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 06 2017 3:41:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sylvia - Mine wears a crocheted spool "doily." I guess I should name all my machines, but I haven't done that yet. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  9:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn,
You'll need to oil them if they've been sitting around. I use Zymol to clean them and wax. Mine all have lacquer missing here and there. The wax coating protects them. I use one to go to a sewing meeting every month. One runs attachments and pieces. One stays in my office and will be used for UFOs. I'm so happy to have this one. They are so worth preserving.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Love my little Featherweight. She has accompanied me to many a quilting class (as a student and as a teacher) and even outdoors for some piecing in the sunny sunshine. So reliable! They really knew what they were about back in the day.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  4:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi!

First off, welcome!

As for your post, I am a serious collector of vintage sewing machines now, though my Featherweight machines are what started me on my obsession with vintage electric machines. I have a white one and two black ones, one scroll plate and one striated plate. Total, I have 26 or so machines, though Featherweights are still my favorite.

There are two great vintage collector groups on Facebook I can recommend, one is strictly for Featherweights. I write one of the blogs for MaryJanesFarm, as the Suburban Farmgirl blogger, and last year I wrote two blogs on the subject that you might like to read:

http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/10461#more-10461
And

http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/10723#more-10723

I also recommend Connie's book. It is awesome!

Featherweights are so cute! They did not come in red, if you see one in red it has been repainted, but that's okay too. They are usually pretty pricey too, when repainted. I personally prefer original ones with their histories. The main thing to look for when buying one is to find one with good electrical (I bought one and returned it because it was smoking whenever plugged in) and make sure to look that it has the bobbin case. They are hard to replace unless original, and sellers often price them at around $80, so watch for that. There are some great sources for reliable and reasonable parts, if needed.

I love mine. They sew beautifully.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Edited by - texdane on Jan 07 2017 4:55:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I agree, Nicole - Featherweights are the best of the vintage machines. My two machines are also 1 scroll plate and 1 striated. Do you have a Featherweight 222? I'd really like to get one of those, but they are super expensive.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Kathy.goins
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kathy
Lucasville Ohio
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  8:03:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm so thankful for all my new featherweight friends who took the time to comment on this thread! I'm looking for a white or beige featherweight if I can afford one!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  05:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,

ANOTHER thing you and I have in common - VSMs! No I don't have a 222 either. They aren't easy to find, and I think I would pass on one with the prices I have seen on that model.

Kathy, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I also have some reliable sources for you if you are looking for a featherweight for purchase.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  06:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Nicole -

What is VSM? Very similar machines? Or what else. LOL! Haven't seen that acronym before.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  12:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole and all of you,
I collect some other machines, too. Have two 301's, black and a tan/cream one. One stays out for visiting quilters to use. And, the beauty of them all, a German-made Singer, 431G. Slant like the 301s, have several plates, does embriodery and machine quilts with a walking foot the smoothest ever. I own two large quilting machines and many other modern machines, this 431G stitches so darn pretty! I got to know another machine collector and quilter in Norway. Saw her quilting and had to ask her what machine? it was this one. Started a long search for it. It's from England and needs a transformer. No problem for me. Just absolutely enjoy how these older machines work and stitch. Several groups on Facebook worth joining as Nicole pointed out. As if we need more fun???? and temptation? My goal is to acquire a tan FW and the coveted 222K. They are easier to find in Europe as my Norwegian friend does find hers a whole lot cheaper. Sniff, sniff. So I enjoy her pictures which show up close stitching and her projects. It's all good for now. Maybe this year, we should finish all our UFOs on FW??? Anyone up for the challenge?

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  1:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sylvia -

My two 301s are also a black and a cream. One has the short "flap" (not sure what it is called - I just went brain dead) and the other has the long.
I had never heard of a Singer 431G so I looked it up. There is one for sale in my area. It is white and looks to be super clean. It is also 110, so I guess it has been converted? Has several plates and disks. I may have to go look at it. Is it that good?
I already do MOST of my sewing on the FW. Only thing I do on other machines is the blanket stitch and other decorative sewing. I'm working on the first 10 UFO projects on the FW now.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  10:00:25 AM  Show Profile
Linda,
It's worth it to look at this machine. There are some that were made 110. Maybe this one actually was shipped to the US. I had to wait over two weeks while mine was trucked across England, rode a plane across the Atlantic, stayed in customs for quite awhile, across the US to me up in the upper left corner! So if this machine is relatively close, go check it out and sew some embroidery stitches. Mine sews so smoothly. Love it.
So you're already doing the UFOs on the FW. Super! Me, too. My last UFO will be done by hand. It was hand pieced and I guess I'll hand quilt it. Once I get to it, I"ll send pictures.
Have a great day,

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile
I have featherweight envy :) What is a good price for a working featherweight? I been browsing ebay, but yikes!

Bridge
Put your lipstick on & be Happy!
http://stitchthrifty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  6:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I found out the seller had this one converted to 110 by a machine repair person, but she said she has converted several Featherweight machines and that it is very easy.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile
I asked my local Featherweight repair guy if he would convert mine. He feels totally inexperienced in doing so. Don't know anyone else. It doesn't hurt the motor to run it with a transformer he assured me, so run it I do. So glad you found one.
What is everyone stitching today?

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  8:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have to bid on it - without seeing it. I sent you the link - is it a good price? Have to bid by tomorrow. What would you suggest?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Singer Featherweight Machines Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page