Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mean ol' Rooster! Next Topic  

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  5:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think I've had it! We have this really aggressive rooster and yesterday, he got me. I forgot all about not turning my back on him and he jumped on me and gouged the back of my leg. It may have not gone through if I wasn't wearing leggings, but I was on my way out and had to help feed the animals. But I was, and his spur or whatever it was went right through and now I have a hole in the back of my leg!
At first, I thought having a rooster would be good because he will protect the girls, and he is so attached to one of them, but he's gone after all of us, except DH!
So I think it's a soup pot for this one. I feel kinda sad because he's really good looking, and I like hearing him in the morning, but now that DS #2 and I have matching holes in our legs, I think it's time to say goodbye.
Has anyone had similarly mixed feelings about roosters? Anyone ever had a gentle roo, and is it possible to raise them to be not so mean? Or is it just the luck of the draw?

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  01:49:59 AM  Show Profile
I have had roosters turn like this. None of my chickens are pets, they are raised gently but they sometimes turn. Always when you have something else on your mind and not paying attention. It does seem to be as they get older, but i am sure everyone will have their own stories, young and old. It is not worth having someone get hurt, so soup pot might be the right thing to do. I was without a rooster for over a year, and like you i did miss the crowing. I think the chickens kind of got lazy too, laying later in the day. Hope you can find a new boy to watch over the girls.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  06:19:58 AM  Show Profile
When I was about 5, we lived on a chicken ranch in the Cascade foothills of Washington State. We had a really nasty mean rooster who we all called "Miss Macaroni." He had this wacky comb that flopped and there was some kind of "Yankee Doodle/feather in his hat" kind of connection. At any rate, my brothers just HATED having to go out to feed the chickens, because Miss Macaroni would come at them and peck the bloody tar out of their knuckles when they held the corn cans. I still remember that sunny day my mother grabbed old MM by the neck, gave him a vigorous whirl -- SNAP went his neck -- and pinned his body to the stump in the chicken yard. One quick chop with the beheading axe and Miss Macaroni was no more. He got the final revenge, though, by being absolutely the toughest and stringiest old bird we had ever stewed. Ahhh...good times, good times.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  4:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Ally, I'm sorry to hear that your rooster is mean and you now have a hole in your leg. I've never had one so I'm not much help, but I hope you can figure out what to do.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  11:06:50 AM  Show Profile
Goodness! I hope that hole in your leg heals up alright! We had quite a nasty rooster when I was growing up. His name was Rhett, and boy was he mean! He got my mother in the legs and my brother on the arms. When he got me in the face, my daddy wasn't having that, and Rhett ended up in the soup.

When we let a couple eggs hatch, we got Friar and Tuck- both friendly roosters. Maybe it's a combination of luck and breed. I was very small at the time, but I remember Rhett being a big dark colored rooster, while Friar and Tuck were smaller and lighter colored.

~ Becca Louise
Farmgirl Sister #7224
Go to Top of Page

TinyChinaCows
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Rebecca
Seminole County FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, our meanie was mighty tough, too! He made a good broth and then good food for the barn cats. And good riddance, too! My mother still has a rooster scar on her leg from more than twenty years ago.

~ Becca Louise
Farmgirl Sister #7224

Edited by - TinyChinaCows on Jan 11 2017 11:14:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  11:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Growing up we had a rooster that thought he was a cat. No kidding!!! He would rub against your leg like the cats would and eat from their dish - yes he ate cat food! He met his despise though with our german shepherd. Whenever she had puppies, he would peck her nose and then go eat her food (my parents kept her chained to her doghouse and when the puppies were first born, she wouldn't leave them to even eat!) Anyways, one day she broke her chain and got ahold of that rooster. She flopped him back and forth on the ground multiple times! And then she left him! She never ate him.. she just killed him!

We are looking to eventually have roosters... hopefully they will behave and be nice!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  5:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I had a rooster that became aggressive and we killed it. After he was gone the hens turned on each other. They killed two. I have a new rooster now and the hens are more passive. But if Roger goes rouge I will get rid of him also. I'm not going to have to be on guard everytime I go outside.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  05:21:04 AM  Show Profile
Ally,

I hear ya. I have a huge one myself. He is part Sussex, part Rhode Island red, and part Leghorn. Raised him from when he was two days old. Always have been gentle with him, but he is now as big as a tom turkey and can be aggressive. I have a love hate relationship with him. I love his crowing, and how he announces anything or anyone in the yard, but I have to keep my eye on him when I am in the coop. Roosters tend to get that way as they get older, and mine is now three or four.

It is a tough call, for sure.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile
I guess it really is just luck of the draw! Thank you all for sharing your experiences! Today is the day and hopefully we'll be able to find another roo in the spring. I'm not looking forward to the battles of supreme hen!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Brosia
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Ambrosia
Massillon Ohio
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2017 :  3:48:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm having this problem right now with my roo, Charles. He came in a batch of pullets, and was just the sweetest little thing as a chick. Now that he's grown, though, he's one mean bird. He doesn't go after me or the wife, but he considers our little girl and all of the hens fair game. We're going to be having chicken dinner sometime this week.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2017 :  06:50:55 AM  Show Profile
I wrote a blog about this very thing recently. Broke my heart when I had to give him up, but in the long run, it was for the best. See if this echoes what you are going through:

http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/12469#more-12469

I’m happy to report life in the coop is much, much better . I am so sorry you got hurt! Take care of yourself and big hugs!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mean ol' Rooster! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic