Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Oh dear...a SNAKE!! It's a saga...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oh dear...a SNAKE!! It's a saga... Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  1:05:36 PM  Show Profile
So you know my dd is a country girl at heart and loves, loves, loves animals. I am thankful that she is comic book and animal crazy, instead of boy crazy like a lot of kids her age. She is a really good kid and doesn't ask for much. She even earns her own money teaching violin lessons and babysitting.

We have two dogs, a cat, a bunny, three hermit crabs and six chickens. The opportunity came up to adopt a pet corn snake.

Now, I was so mixed. I was raised in Texas, and my dad has a ranch in the hill country. I was taught to spot, respect, avoid and (depending on the breed and where it was sitting), fear snakes. I am only afraid of the snakes I can't see, or ones that can hurt me. I don't flip out here in Connecticut over the garden snakes in my yard. If I come across a snake in my flower bed while I am tending it, I respect it and often will take and remove it to another part of the yard (using a rake and bucket) so I don't step on it. I was bitten twenty years ago by a non poisonous snake because I stepped on it clearing brush. I would've died in Texas. I have petted pet snakes and once as a kid babysat a 6.5 foot long boa constrictor (you should have heard my mom when she realized what was in my room)! That thing was nasty but it was a short time and I was 15. I respect them and don't mind them in nature as they are part of the ecosystem.

DH on the other hand is AFRAID of snakes. Screams like a little girl and runs, freezes up in fear and has cold sweats. Nightmares over them. But dd convinced him that she would bring "Noodle" home for just a few days as a trial and we would never have to touch it. We had all the stuff for it already, so we didn't have to put much into it.

It is a corn snake which I am told will never get too big. It's mama snake is on the small side. It is actually a pretty specimen. I have been assured by two reptile experts that it could never get big enough to eat my chihuahua. Yes, I had to ask.

DH is less nervous now that we have had him awhile. He stays away from the tank and seems okay as long as it never is handled when he is home.

DD has kept her word. She has been very responsible with it. But if this snake ever gets loose in my house, my husband will move. My brother has stated he will never come visit now. Don't think I will tell my mother in law, either.

I talk to my parents everyday. My dad surprised me and doesn't see anything wrong with said snake. (It eats frozen mice, not live ones. Ick.)

Then last night, I had a nightmare that Noodle got loose...

Am I overreacting? Being silly? I guess I just prefer furry pets.

The funny part is, a friend of my daughter's mother is SUPER STRICT. More strict than me, which is surprising. When she found out I allowed Audrey one, she gave her permission too! LOL!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Edited by - texdane on Apr 23 2017 04:59:16 AM

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  4:30:07 PM  Show Profile
I think I'd move also. Snakes and spiders are not my thing. I'm not scared of them, I just don't want to live with them.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LilDebbie
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Debbie
Days Creek Oregon
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  10:01:20 PM  Show Profile
You are braver than I am. Snakes are a no go in this house. I hope and pray Noodle doesn't get loose.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  5:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear! You are brave! I would never allow for a snake to be in my house. I do have a fear of them and was terrified when a baby snake got into my home many years ago. The worst past was that it blended in with the carpet and was almost stepped on. I prefer furry pets as well! I hope noodle doesn't get out either and hopefully with time your husband will come around.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  1:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh, my, Nicole! You are such good parents! I wouldn't be able to handle a snake in our home! And no, you are not overreacting - it's always possible that a snake gets loose, but I know your daughter is a very responsible young lady! Worst case scenario, though, if it were to ever happen, just remember snakes like dark, warm places. Friends of ours had a snake for a couple of years, then one morning the snake was missing - the last person to hold him forgot to batten down the hatch! They knew it was in the house, because they would find evidence from time to time, and there was no longer a mouse to be found on their property! After a couple of months of searching (yes, it took that long!), they found their snake cozily coiled around the bottom of their hot water tank in the basement. I cannot remember how they extracted it, but once it was back in the tank, they quickly found a new home for it! ;) Let's just pray Noodle is content to stay put! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2017 :  2:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Corn snakes are beautiful specimen!!!! And they are great to have around the homestead. Would I have one in my house - errrrr no!!!! I am terrified of snakes ever since I moved to SC and had a copperhead try to get in my house! No snakes for this chicky! With that said, as long as they are outside... and leave me alone, I'll deal ;) You are a better parent than I!!! And a braver one too!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  07:21:35 AM  Show Profile
Sssss

Edited by - texdane on Apr 23 2017 05:01:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  11:03:40 AM  Show Profile
I would have moved already! In my head I would always be thinking it got out once it will do it again. In all honesty I don't know what's worse. Big snakes terrify me but they are easier to see when they get out. Small snakes don't seem as bad but they can hide in all sorts of places and I would b afraid of it being in my bed, my clothes, my shoes, everywhere! Your a brave women! I could never do it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  12:42:11 PM  Show Profile
I am not scared of snakes, but like mice, they belong outside.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Nicole. Your story is so funny. What we mom's get talked into. I am glad noodle is docile. This too shall pass.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oh dear...a SNAKE!! It's a saga... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page