dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  08:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Meet Birdel and Grace - our 10 year old chickens! Our oldest son bought them 10 years ago as show birds for 4-H and other local shows. They are Buff Japanese bantams, brother and sister pair. .
Now that our oldest is at college, i have been taking care of them - so precious!

We've always worried/wondered what would happen if one died before the other - how would the other one cope alone (we are in between flocks right now so there's no one else to hang with). Well, it finally happened in December. I came home one saturday and found that sweet Gracie had died while i was gone. So sad, but she was 10...
Birdel definitely went through a grieving period. Then one day he seemed to perk up and act more himself - i try to visit and talk to him more, which he loves!

They have been so precious to us and with Grace's passing, i just wanted to share them with you all - because i knew you would 'get it'.

Thanks for letting me share these cuties with you!

Dena
Farmgirl 5620

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  08:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Dena, I'm sorry about Grace passing and happy Birdel is his old self. I had never seen that breed before - beautiful.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  09:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Sara, thank you - i know, aren't they beautiful! I am a sucker for any buff colored chicken!

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Dean, your chicken story is very sweet! I am so happy that you have been able to comfort Birdel in his grief. I had a similar thing happen with my cat when our first Lab dog died. Animals really do have relationships that are important and deep to them.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  1:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Winnie. Animals are so much more complex than we probably give them credit for.

I'm trying to hold him a bit more than i use to - he just seems happier to see me than he use to so i'm guessing he might be a bit lonely.
Today he actually was clucking for joy while i carried him around the yard with me during chore time! It was so precious.

He's in a medium sized coop and its hard to catch him. I bought a little rabbit hutch to move him to so i can pick him up easily if I have to catch him for any reason. I don't want to move him there yet because its too small for a heat lamp and i worry about him freezing now that he is sleeping alone. We actually had a rooster freeze to death one time while sleeping alone - so sad! Just didn't really think about that when we first started keeping chickens. Now i know...

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Birdel and Grace Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page