Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Sprouted wheat flour-Anyone every make it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sprouted wheat flour-Anyone every make it? Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  07:54:20 AM  Show Profile
I have been looking into sprouted wheat flour. Its suppose to be easier to digest and better for the stomach.By soaking the grain and sprouting it removes the phytic acid which causes problem in the stomach and is also an anti nutrient.After that its dried and ground.

I have not tried this flour yet. I found it on King Arthur's website and its $4.95 for a 2 lbs bag. So I decided to try and do it myself.

I ended up soaking 2 big bowls and they grew into 3 bowls!! I am at the stage of trying to dry all this grain so it can be ground. My kitchen looks like a grain store. Grain all over screens in front of the wood stove. I think I bit off too much at one time. They suggested drying the grain in the oven but I have way to much to fit in there.

Hoping this works out because I don't want to pay that price for it already done. I already have the wheat here so I thought why not. I just wish I had a better setup or better way to do this at home.

Has anyone here tried using sprouted wheat flour? Did you like it? Have you made it yourself? Thanks for any suggestions or experiences with this.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 31 2017 07:55:57 AM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  09:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Linda, if memory serves, there was an article on sprouting wheat and making flour in MaryJanes Farm magazine a while back - have you seen it? If you don't have it, I can try to find it and send it to you. I have wanted to do this for a while, but just haven't had time. It looks fairly easy, and the sprouted wheat is supposed to be so much better for digestion. I am excited to see how it turns out for you! Your "grain store" sounds just lovely to me! LOL! Just think: when you're done, you'll be good to go for quite a while! It'll all be worth it in the end! ;) Please do keep us posted as your process progresses! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  10:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Nini I did not see the article in M.J. about the wheat. I do not have a subscription at this time. Would love to have read it. I bet it was a super good article.If you could that would be wonderful!Will keep you posted on the grain. Its still drying in the kitchen in front of the woodstove. I stir it with my hands about once an hour. Its slowly getting dry but still chewy inside.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  10:42:01 AM  Show Profile
Well the wheat is finally dry and back to not looking like so much. I think the wheat doubled in size once it had soaked 24 hours. Now its back to normal and not looking like so much. I did get it ground today. I think it seems softer in texture than before. It seems like the regular wheat felt a little rougher even though I am using the same setting on the mill. I have about 25 cups of milled wheat.

I would like to be able to do this in larger amounts but not sure how to go about it. I thought about a food dehydrator but not sure if that's the best way to do bulk. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with something. Right now its winter and I can put it on screens in front of the stove. Crowded,time consuming, but works. But spring, summer and fall is going to be the problem with no fire and its so humid hear then.

Later today or tomorrow morning I am going to bake bread with it. I hope it still rises the same. I used a mixture of 80% white wheat and 20% Einkorn wheat. So hopefully it will work out. Will let you know the results later today or tomorrow.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I can't seem to find it anywhere, Linda! Does anyone know which issue it was in? I have them all, but I can't find the article! AGH!!!! I'll keep looking...

Sounds like things went well, Linda! I have read of people putting larger drying screens (i.e. old screen doors) in their cars, propped up to the windows, leaving the windows open a crack, but I've never done that. Maybe that might be do-able? Even in winter?

I am wondering - I can't remember... do you use it just like regular wheat flour, or is it more like Einkorn? Can't wait to see how your bread turned out! YUM!!!

Ugh... I have GOT to find that article!!! I probably set it aside somewhere, intending to try it myself, but never had the time to actually try. I am so sorry! I will keep looking, though, I promise!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  10:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Well I made the bread last night. My bread taste good but its so soft.Something I have never had happen before after taking the loaf out of the pans. It kinda collapsed on the sides........weird. The bread almost seems like it didn't want to cook all the way even though I know its totally done. Even though its very brown on the outside the inside it so soft almost a little bit gummy?

I did put part Einkorn wheat mixed with the prairie gold. If I remember from the past the Einkorn sort of cooks up weird and the texture is different kinda like the way my bread turned out this time. I think next time I am only going to sprout the prairie gold by itself and then try it again. I shouldn't have mixed it like that. I didn't get a true reading on the wheat.
I used 19 cups for 4 loaves of bread. I think I have enough wheat to maybe do another 4 and then I am out again. Time to do more.

The bread taste great its just a little too soft and hard to cut. But I made some homemade tuna/egg,sweet pickle salad and toasted the bread and it was awesome!!!

Nini if you find the article I am all ears. Thanks for trying.Also the idea of putting it on screens in the car might be an excellent idea in the spring and summer.I will try that for sure. Hugs!

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Feb 02 2017 10:13:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sprouted wheat flour-Anyone every make it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page