Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 2017 Block of the Month (BOM) - February 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2017 Block of the Month (BOM) - February 2017 Next Topic  

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Each month a new block (or more) will be posted and a new thread will begin for each new month. I hope many of you will join in and we will have a lot of new quilts to show off in 12 months or less.

You can join in at any time. We'd love to have you!
NOTE: Please be sure to "Subscribe" to this thread so you don't miss anything.

This month there are 2 blocks. These were chosen by Beverley Baggett (THANK YOU, Beverley!) As always, you can do one, two, or none of them. Your choice. These blocks will be yours, so choose your fabrics and quilt away. Make table runners, quilts, wall hangings, or potholders with them - your choice.

NOTE: All patterns come from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn.
Please read her terms and conditions of use here. http://www.quilterscache.com/TermsPage.html

February blocks:
Four Part Strip
http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FourPartStripBlock.html
Attic Windows
http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AtticWindowsBlock.html
On the Attic Windows block please be sure to follow the directions. Since the last seam in in a corner, you cannot sew all the way to the end.

Both of these blocks are easy, and will make great quilts. Have fun with these blocks. Please post pictures.

I'd like some more people to select blocks. Please let me know f you would like to choose blocks from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn (www.quilterscache.com) website for future months, and send me the link(s).

Happy quilting!
Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 06 2017 09:11:41 AM

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1224 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1224 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  09:45:57 AM  Show Profile
Boy am I behind, love the blocks for this month. Thanks Linda

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
www.etsy.com/shop/markiebuck
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  10:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Me, too, Sherry. I need to find some time to catch up.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  1:14:24 PM  Show Profile
Cool blocks, Beverley! Thank you!
Thanks, Linda for posting them!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  5:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Here are my February blocks...
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  6:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! You, go, farmgirl! I love these blocks, too. And these blocks worked great with your stripes - some patterns are not so stripe-friendly. LOL! Great job!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  6:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Debbie - Would you like to pick 2 blocks for March? If so, please email me the links to the 12" blocks you choose on www.Quilterscache.com and I will post them the beginning of March. Then you can jump in and show your blocks. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  07:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad to see another farmgirl join us on the BOM. To be sure you do not miss anything, please "Subscribe" to the topics.

The number of blocks needed is a good question - and can be confusing. Here is a website that gives you measurements for different block sizes.
https://www.quiltkitshop.com/pages/blocks-needed-for-quilt
However, their number of blocks (42) only covers the top and does not include the overhang. Also, their mattress sizes are different than those on other sites. It is best to measure YOUR mattress and go from there.

Now the LONG description:
A standard American king size quilt (according to one quilt measurement site) is 76" x 79-1/2" on the top. To have the quilt hang over the sides I make mine at least 100" square, but usually 110" for me. You might measure the one you have now that you like and figure from there. Then the number of 12" squares you need would depend on whether you were sashing the blocks (putting a strip between each block) and adding a border or just adding a border. So with just a 12" border and sewing the blocks together without sashing you could make a king size quilt with 49 squares (7 across and 7 rows) plus the border. With a 3" sashing between the blocks, and a 12" border, this could reduce that number to around 25-30 blocks (depending on if you wanted the quilt longer head-to-toe).

Sorry this is so confusing. If you want sashing, I can figure it up on my quilting software and sent you a layout. Just let me know the size of YOUR mattress.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 09 2017 07:40:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  09:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Linda...yes, I will do that! I haven't checked in here for a while. I will get them to you this afternoon!
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  3:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Linda..did the links come through ok for you?
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  5:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
The March BOM blocks have been posted. Thanks so much, Debbie, for choosing them!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 01 2017 5:10:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  10:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Here are my two February blocks:

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Apr 30 2017 10:29:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2017 :  4:22:45 PM  Show Profile

Another one done!love your blocks ladies.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2017 :  05:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Way to go Julie!!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2017 :  7:24:54 PM  Show Profile
cute block Julie!
I need to get caught up one of these days....

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2017 Block of the Month (BOM) - February 2017 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page