forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2017 :  5:03:18 PM  Show Profile
YES! Finally, I've come up with a recipe that works for DH. He drinks a few of those Starbucks Mocha Frappucinos a day! Yes, it is getting too expensive. Neither of us drink coffee. It started out as something that did not taste that great that would keep him awake on a road trip.

The price on those drinks just went up twice in a month. I thought I might be able to find a recipe on the internet. There are several. I found one basic recipe "AnotherTeenMom". That was -after several batches-#1. Too chocolaty. #2. Too chocolaty and too sweet. 3. Too bitter and not enough coffee. 4. Too bitter and still too sweet. #5. Too bitter.
(These attempts included changes in brands of coffee and going to 2% from whole milk.).
#6. Eureka for this kitchen! The result is more of the coffee taste; but, he likes it! Yay! Here is the recipe:

-1 1/2 cup brewed coffee. (Use 1/3 cup Folgers French Roast ground coffee and 2 1/2 cup water to brew.)
-1/4 cup sugar
-2 tsp. 100% unsweetened, powered Cocoa (I used Ghirardelli)
-6 cups 2% milk

Brew your coffee. Pour into medium to large size pot. Add sugar and cocoa. Stir until dissolved. Add milk and stir until well blended. Funnel into glass storage containers and refrigerate.

( At first, I stored the batch in quart containers.) Now, I funnel them into the used Starbucks glass bottles. I wash the lids and reuse them also. One batch fills about 4 1/2 bottles. I made 2 batches yesterday as this drink goes so quickly. And, this from a man who did not drink milk until just recently.)

It costs less than $.50 per bottle to make compared to approx. $2.46 per bottle.

What do you think?

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Feb 07 2017 5:05:04 PM
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bottled Frappuccinos Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page