Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Homeschooling thru high school years
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Homeschooling thru high school years Next Topic  

savycarmen
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Carmen
salkum Washington
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  07:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Well, this is my first year of doing homeschooling. And it's thru the 10th grade. My son is doing ok so far. It's been a challenge of coarse. But were helping him thru it all. I have found it's hard to keep my son focused. He doesn't really like school at all. So it's like playing tug of war most of the time just to get him to keep focused. Anyways, we'll get thru this year I'm sure. It's just a little frustrating. As a teenager he knows everything don't you know? Ha! Ha! Crazy stuff uh?

SavyCarmie

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  5:55:32 PM  Show Profile
My kids were in 2nd, 6th and 9th when we started homeschooling. Have two teens was no easy task but we kept at it and even managed to have some fun,

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  7:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Carmen,

We have graduated 2 students and currently have our 16 year old in our homeschool. The way we have worked with our high schoolers is that we meet with them once a week. During this meeting we go over what they will do for the week and then leave them to do it. We also take any interests the teens have and allow/help them to make a course of it. For example, my oldest son was in 4-H during high school and for 2 years we created a 'poultry science' course - Poulty Science 1 and 2. We are in PA, one of the strictest homeschooling states there is and they were fine with this. For our 16 yr old, he has requested that he be allowed to design his own history course. That is his passion and i said, as long as he has documentation, that would be fine.

We did/do include the boys in deciding what to study during those years. There's so much flexibility inherent in homeschooling that it really pays to get their input. This will only help to make them enjoy school and want to be life long learners. This is especially true for students with special needs. I am always cutting my guys breaks on stuff i know isn't crucial; i have always believed relationships and character trump academics any day of the week. I'll confess that my homeschool wasn't the most academically challenging, but now, with the boys is college, they are showing that they learned the importance of doing a good job at what ever they do.

Hope some of our experiences give you ideas that may help your son begin to enjoy home education. It is so typical for students that have been in school to need some time to decompress from the structure of public/private education. It can even take as long as 6 months!

Feel free to post any questions that come up. We all would be happy to help if we can :-)

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Homeschooling thru high school years Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page