Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Brenda's Sheep Instructions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Brenda's Sheep Instructions Next Topic  

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  8:05:06 PM  Show Profile
For the best results read all the instructions first.

Here is a list and a picture of needed supplies.

Lion Brand Homespun Yarn, felt, pipe cleaners, thread, sewing needle, tacky glue, scissors, wire cutters

Begin by sewing felt heads, and cutting out ears as in the next picture.

I have found that it is easier to pin the felt to hold it in place and stitch a row of heads and then cut them out. They are about 1" to 1 1/4" long and about 1/2" to 3/4" wide. I usually just free hand stitch them using my sewing machine. That way they have more character. They can also be hand stitched. Leave enough room between each one for a small seam allowance for each head. Also, leave the tops open for turning right side out. After cutting out the heads cut ears out of one layer of felt as seen in the picture.

Two pipe cleaners are needed for each sheep. Cut one pipe cleaner in half for the legs. Turn up very small ends on both pieces of pipe cleaner. Just enough to keep the wire from scratching any surface the sheep will be sitting on. Place the legs in position and wrap them around the body piece. They are easier to work with when wrapped around the body instead of just placed there.

Make a loop in the end of the second pipe cleaner and slide it into the sewn and turned head. Thread and knot a sewing needle and stitch the head on to the loop enclosing the entire loop inside of the head. As you sew take the needle around the neck and into the loop to keep the head from sliding off the neck. Fold each ear in half and stitch on to the sides of the head by running the needle back and forth from side to side a couple of times and knot off at the underneath or at the neck edge.

The picture below shows how to bend the pipe cleaner into a basic sheep shape even though the head is not attached yet. I have found that it works best to put the heads on first. The end for the tail is twisted around itself to make a nice firm tail. It may seem kind of long, but is necessary for the amount of yarn that will be wrapped around.

Begin by placing the end of the yarn along the center body and wrapping over it a few times to secure. Then wrap the yarn around the pipe cleaner to the tail. Put tacky glue along one of the legs about half of the length of the leg. Leave enough leg showing for the bottom part of the leg and foot. The glue will keep the yarn from sliding down the leg over time. Wrap the yarn back up the leg and do the same for the other leg. As you go up and down the legs place more glue sparingly along them to keep the yarn in place, but not so thick that it makes a mess. Wrap along the body and do the same for the front legs and up the neck. Use glue on the neck also.

As you wrap back and forth around the body it will begin to look more and more like a sheep. There will be little triangle shapes at the tops of the front legs. Use a little glue in these areas and gently pull the yarn and hold it there for a bit to hid these areas.

Also, once in a while on the back legs bring the yarn from underneath and around the tail to secure the back. A little glue on the tail will keep the yarn from slipping up off the tail.

This picture shows under the body of the sheep. Kind of bend it back and put some tacky glue in the split and tuck the end of the yarn into the glue and close up. It will hid the yarn end and keep it secure.

A touch of tacky glue placed under the yarn at the top of the head will keep it in place.

All finished except for a name maybe.

Here are a few more hints.

Don't pull the yarn tight while wrapping or it will take a great deal of yarn for each sheep.

Also, you don't want to let it be too loose or it will not be firm enough. With a little practice it will come out just right.

The size is easily adjusted by changing the length of the pipe cleaners. Each one will come out just a little different in size anyway. I never do seem to get them exact. It shows they are hand made and one of a kind.

Don't be afraid to put a little glue on a toothpick and tuck it into the yarn to hold it where you want it to be.

A string, yarn, or ribbon can be inserted after the sheep is finished by threading it down into the sheep's body and back up through the body to hang it on a Christmas tree or peg, etc.

Ribbon and a bell can be tied around the neck. The ideas are up to you.

These would be quite whimsical done out of pastels or bright colors to decorate a child's room or for Easter maybe.

Be creative everyone and enjoy! If any of you have any questions or trouble making these please email me and I will help you.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  9:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much, Brenda! Looks like fun!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  9:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Hope you have lots of fun making sheep.#128522;

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  06:35:52 AM  Show Profile
Wow...you really do put a lot of work into those as well as love. They are adorable! Thank you for such detailed instructions Brenda! Hugs...

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  08:02:01 AM  Show Profile
Very cute Brenda, you did a great job with the sheep!

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you! Enjoy#128522;

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  10:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Brenda! I can't believe you are sharing your "sheep instructions"! Oh, yes I can! That's just who you are! Can't wait to try it! They are so adorable! I love working with Homespun. Thank you!!!!!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  11:41:40 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, your sheep look super cute! I think the pastel colored sheep would be adorable for Easter. Hum... something to consider!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  12:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Brenda your sheep are perfect!! so cute and fun. What a fun and clever project too for both Spring and Chistmas.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

sargesproudwife
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Christine Marie
NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  2:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Brenda! They are beautiful!!

Christine

Sister #7295
www.etsy.com/theginghambow
www.theginghambow.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  4:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, your sheep are beautiful. I would like to try my hand at making one but don't know when I will get around to it. Thanks for sharing your 'how to' with us.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  4:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone. If any of you do make any sheep, I would love to see pictures of them.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7501 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7501 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  5:39:15 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try it.

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  5:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Darlene that's great. Let me know how it goes for you.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  04:37:31 AM  Show Profile
Brenda
The sheep are so cute1

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  4:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Well Brenda, it took me a while to get here but I am so excited because I think I can make some of your little sheep. Thank you for your time and effort getting the instructions done for us. I know it was a big job. Hugs.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  09:16:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking there should be a badge in here somewhere! (for your effort and the directions and sharing.)

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, that's adorable! Thank you for sharing!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 02 2017 09:35:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  5:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Never thought about a badge. Just Happy everyone is enjoying these Sheep.#128522;

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2017 :  7:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,,, Ewe are sew talented!!! Bahhhhh,,, sorry I just had too!...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Mar 02 2017 7:02:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2017 :  06:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Grace you made me laugh Ha Ha Ha........

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Brenda's Sheep Instructions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page