Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Chasing a Dream Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  05:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Do you ever have something that keeps showing up in your life, over and over, and it just won't let go?

Well, since I was a kid, I have had a side job of pet sitting- everything from your basic cats and dogs, to the odd farm animals and even a llama once. Yep...lol

I made a nice side business when I was in the military and I have done it off and on over the past 20 years.

It has reared it's barking head again in my life and I decided to really go for it.

I have had a dream to own a brick and mortar doggie daycare- nothing fancy, very simple, lots of fun and love.

It's also my dream and goal to live on the premises, living small and minimal. I don't care much for things and prefer to keep it simple.

So that is just what I am going to do. Right now, I am in discovery mode. I will continue to work as a teacher to have income coming in, but it is my goal to have my business up and running by summer. I won't have a brick and mortar yet, but I can dog sit at my house and locally (within miles to make any profit) and to build my clientele.

It's one of those things that keeps coming up in my life and I have soooooooooo many people who tell me I would be perfect for a business like this.

I have met many people in the pet industry and what I find lacking is passion. I try to listen to their ideas and input, but I don't think they understand the value of hard work and perseverance, like it's getting to play with doggies all day. One gal own a "barkery" but she seems so out of touch with her customers and she seems as if she actually hates what she does. It was a little taken aback when I talked to her by how debbie downer she was.

There have been several attempts to open pet themed businesses in this town and 90% of them have failed. I am trying to figure out why. This is small town with a big opportunity.

I understand hard work, sacrifice, marketing, TIME and more TIME... dealing with the public, local municipalities, money, etc....

I have 100's of ideas for additional revenue streams once I am up and running for some solid time. Things that I think would make money and be an asset to what I have established.

It's just something I have to do.

Edited by - catscharm74 on Mar 05 2017 05:37:07 AM

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  06:50:43 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea and I know it is a big success in the bigger towns. My daughter lives in the the phoenix area and she takes her two puppies to "Camp Bow-Wow" a couple days a week which they love and they have a puppy cam so you can look in on the puppies to watch them play. A co-worker has been taking her dog to a puppy day care five days a week and loves it. I say go for it and have fun!

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  07:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
thanks Jana!!! This is the encouragement I need. There was a bigger daycare here but the gal gave it up to become some sort of THRIVE product promoter???? Again, all I heard was I will never give up my business and it's all I love to do and bam..gone after only 2-3 years. There are groomer/daycare types in town too, but they are more focused on the grooming.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  09:17:23 AM  Show Profile
"Dare to Dream "....
I think to many people are afraid to follow their dreams and saddly miss out on so much....
Not all dreams are meant to be followed.... but we can grow from them...
Don't be afraid to fail... it just means you need to try again.... and when you succeed.... oh the Joy!
I agree with you.... about compassion..... to many people do not put their heart into their endevor and it shows.

Follow your dream... and yes, do your 'homework ' to gain a good working business plan....

Who knows.... maybe there is someone out their who enjoys pet grooming and would like to start up a mobile pet grooming business.
You might be able to help someone else, 'follow their dream'...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  10:37:09 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I forgot to mention the grooming, evening training classes and boarding portion of the business! The place in Phoenix also fosters dogs at their facility, which plays with the daycare dogs and have been adopted off to good homes of the families who attend, all positive aspects of the business. While attend an event in San Diego, my daughter took her two dogs to "Camp Run-A-Mutt" (http://www.camprunamutt.com/) which was an incredible place, three play areas each with different activities and it even had a cute store front that they sold doggy products (collars, leashes, doggy toys and quality food).

My husband has friends who opened a pet food store in Atlanta Georgia 10 years ago selling quality food, treats, climbing trees and dog beds and they are doing very well, so much so that they opened three other stores. People care about their pets, treating them like part of the family and really want to pamper them!

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

Edited by - janamarieje on Mar 05 2017 10:38:12 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Chasing a Dream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page