saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  11:11:35 AM  Show Profile
I have a stash of alpaca fiber left over from my former days as a breeder. I am looking for people who are willing to pay shipping to have it in their hands. I put out this same offer last March, and got a good amount of my 100+ lbs of raw alpaca fiber into worthy hands. It's almost shearing time again, and I still have about 40 lbs of various shades and cuts to give away. I don't want anything in exchange, just to move them out of my garage and to imagine that there are happy crafters receiving them at the other end!
Let me know if you are interested. And if you responded last year, and I never got back to you, please accept my apologies. Once spring starts I change gears, so let me know ASAP, before I'm off on another project!!

Sara Marquez
Northern California

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Yes please!!!!! I desperately want to learn how to card and spin! I am more than willing to pay for shipping!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  1:17:24 PM  Show Profile
Sara! If you have some for me also I will happily pay shipping! A long awaited desire of mine! PLUS...I have something special for YOU! SEND me an email. K? :) :) :)

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Sara, if you have any left I would love some!!! This is very generous of you! I have processed a wool fleece from sheep but never alpaca! I will gladly pay postage! Thank you!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

u.p.farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

annette
bruce crossing michigan
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  8:22:10 PM  Show Profile
If there is any left I would love some. I think we talked about this before. What are you into now sheep?
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  08:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Ok girls, this is wonderful! I will email each of you directly. My questions to you will be: What color do you prefer? I have white, a range of browns from light tan to rich brown, and possibly a bit of black. Also, how much do you want? I can squeeze close to a pound and a half into a gallon ziplock bag, for example. If we use flat rate, 2 day boxes we know what it will cost, but are limited to those boxes. Whereas, last year a 20 pound box shipped to Washington cost $23, and a 24# box sent to Texas was $54. So the further away you are from me, the more it will cost.
Also, please be aware that this is raw fiber. I have skirted it somewhat to remove large pieces of organic matter, but it is still not cleaned or combed. The best fibers come from the "blanket" area of the animal--this is #1. #2 comes from the shoulders, neck and chest. It is a little more coarse than the #1, but still less coarse than sheep. If you know about fiber and want one or the other, let me know.
OK! I'm so happy to be able to share! Talk to you soon!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  09:27:05 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you made my day Friday! I sent you an email back as to why and as to the fiber! Thank you so incredibly much and I am so happy you are back in your home safe and sound! All is well now, yes?

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  10:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Dianna, we escaped the crisis without any real crisis, praise God! Folks downstream didn't fair so well, but general flooding just doesn't grab the imagination of the press like a good old dam failure might!!
Of course, with almost 200% snowpack looming on the top of the Sierra Nevadas, and warm weather coming, we are all still keeping an eye on those lake levels, and everyone I know still has a packed bag sitting near the door. We all hope we don't have to use them. Meanwhile, life marches on....!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  10:31:16 AM  Show Profile
One other thing--this is Suri alpaca. Alpacas come in two varieties: the Huacaya has crimpy fiber like a sheep that grows perpendicular to the body. The Suri has locks of fiber with waves but not crimp, and it hangs like little twists on the animal. Suri alpaca is amazingly silky and drapes beautifully, but it doesn't have the memory that crimpy fiber has. Just keep that in mind as you decide how to use it.
Go to Top of Page

jodyburd
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jody
Mint Hill Northd Carolina
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  3:56:26 PM  Show Profile
I would like a gallon bag full please of the darkest you have and a gallon bag of the whitest you have. I will send you the funds

Have A Blessed Day.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  08:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Great Jody!
Send me your mailing address on email, so that it isn't out there in public. Just click on the envelope icon right above this entry, where it says when it was posted. It should open an email window with my name on it.

I'll get the fiber in the mail as soon as I have that!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  09:22:19 AM  Show Profile
So, I have 25 pounds of fiber boxed and ready to put in the mail and I still have a LOT more! So if you are watching this post and hadn't decided, consider this your chance to have free alpaca fiber to play with and make that commitment! Spinning, weaving, felting, knitting and crochet, experimenting with dyes, needle felting...just think of the things you could do!

Don't be shy!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  10:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Sara, if you don't have more takers (I still don't want to be greedy), but: what a deal!! I would take 10 lbs. more of "1 this time if you have it." Otherwise, #2. Thanks for explaining the difference! I am so excited! Let me know if others want it though.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Mar 13 2017 10:57:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bleeni
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

Aimee
Jefferson Maine
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  12:00:27 PM  Show Profile
I took advantage of this before-if there is enough, I'l LOVE to do it again!!
Thanks Sara!!!

Bleeni
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  12:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Sara, did you get my other email? I sent one with an attachment and then another this morning asking for 20??

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  08:43:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! Got all your emails and will respond after noon!
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  08:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Sara,
I am interested in some alpaca fiber. I think about 20 or so pounds. I did send you an email, but sure if you received it.
Thanks
Becky

Friends, like heirlooms, are a special treasure
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  3:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello from Minnesota! I would love some as well! if you have any available I would love a fluffy care package.

Thank you & I will email with followup.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  4:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Sara? I am still working on my fiber and love it and appreciate all that I was able to acquire.
Just worried about you all near the fires. I see they are south of the dam which means just to the east of you, right? Are you all ok so far? Keeping everyone, you all included in my prayers.

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  09:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Do you have any left? and yes are you OK?

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  08:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh goodness girls! I'm so sorry to neglect this site and to leave you all worrying!

No, we are fine where we are. The fire is indeed about 10 miles away as the crow flies, but up on the wooded ridge. I am on the valley floor, across the river, surrounded by irrigated farmland which is not susceptible to wildfires like our foothills and mountains are. How touching to have people thinking about me and concerned! Thank you sisters!

As to the fiber, so sorry! I got into summer mode and still have it on my back burner but just really distracted by other things. I will put my focus on all your requests this week because it really serves me well to move it, also. So glad you all can make use of it!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile
SO VERY GOOD to hear you are safe Sara!!! TY! A letter is in the mail to you! Xx

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Free Alpaca Fiber Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page