Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  12:50:08 PM  Show Profile
I found these old recipes in my Mom's dessert cookbook that she made several times when I was growing up. Basically, it is nothing more than Rice Krispie treat mix formed into fun little Easter dessert ideas.

Here is the first one.

When Mom made these, she would add some cocoa powder to the rice krispie mix to make the baskets a light brown. Then she would also color some flaked shredded coconut flakes with green food coloring and add them in the basket before she added the jelly beans. The end result was that you had a rice krispie treat in the shape of a little Easter basket full of jelly beans or you could add foil covered chocolate eggs. They make a darling and easy dessert for Easter dinner that everyone will love!

A second idea is shown here.

Here you shape the rice krispie treat into either a large egg or as smaller individual eggs. The smaller eggs are decorated with frosting so that they look like sugar eggs. You can add flowers or jelly beans using the frosting to hold them in place. It is also easy to make the eggs any size that you want. Mom also would make the smaller eggs with each child's name written in icing on top and then decorate the sides of the egg with flowers made from frosting.

For those of you with grandchildren might enjoy making these for them or making them with the children. So easy and the end results are fun and unique!

Let me know if anyone tries this out and what you did to make them special for your family!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the memories Winnie! I wish I had the talent to decorate my cupcakes like that.

Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  5:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Love this idea, Winnie! I vaguely remember my Grandmother making some of these. She would make the larger ones I believe. I will need to try them now!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  7:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone besides me made jello eggs from blown eggs (thoroughly washed out of course). If you different flavor so of jello they make an attractive salad or dessert that kids love.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  4:54:52 PM  Show Profile
I used to make Jello eggs, but I made mine with a Jello mold.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Vintage Easter Dessert ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page