ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  6:54:22 PM  Show Profile
If you get a chance and hopefully have clear skies tomorrow night, April 11, take a look at April's full moon. Below is a excerpt from The Farmer's Almanac about the names for April's Full Moon:

April’s Full Moon, the Full Pink Moon, heralds the appearance of the moss pink, or wild ground phlox—one of the first spring flowers. It is also known as the Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and the Fish Moon.

Happy skies stargazers!
Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  7:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Dawn. I will check it out. We are moon gazers here, and tonight's has been absolutely incredible!
Looking forward to tomorrow night when we close up the barn and check out the sky!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  9:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Having technical issues tonight. Actual post to follow

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Apr 10 2017 9:20:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  9:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Someone not that long ago listed the names of the 12 moons. I love walking my little girl during full moonlight. One time I was out with my kids during a full moon. We heard coyotes in the distance. I thought how cool. Then a straggler answered them back. He couldn't have been more than 10ft away from us hidden in the brush. Probably we were in his path way. Nearly jumped out of my skin it was so loud and close. Not afraid of them. Just not hankering to be chummy. Luckily my pups stayed with me and didn't try to chase them. We decided to go back home.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Apr 10 2017 9:18:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  05:59:15 AM  Show Profile
I went back to my post in February about stargazing and copied this from our farmgril Marilyn:

Here is a list of some of the traditional names for the different full moons that the First Nations have used. They vary from group to group, obviously, but these are some of the more common ones.

January -- Wolf Moon or Old Moon
February -- Snow Moon or Hunger Moon
March -- Worm Moon or Sap Moon
April -- Pink Moon, Sprouting Grass Moon, Egg Moon, or Fish Moon
May -- Flower Moon, Corn Planting Moon, Milk Moon
June -- Strawberry Moon, Rose Moon, Hot Moon
July -- Buck Moon, Thunder Moon
August -- Sturgeon Moon or Green Corn Moon
September -- Corn Moon or Barley Moon. Sometimes the Harvest Moon -- Harvest Moon is the one closest to the Autumnal Equinox -- sometimes in October
October -- Hunter's Moon, Travel Moon, Dying Moon
November -- Beaver Moon or Frost Moon
December -- Cold Moon or Long Nights Moon

Looking at a cloudy day here in the Chicago area. I have my fingers crossed they will get out of the way tonight so we can see the moon. We should be able to see it in the Chicago area around 1 a.m I'm going to set my timer and hope for the best!

Nancy, I love your coyote story. They are great at disappearing and hiding. I was at the Morton Arboretum last Tuesday night in the woods for a frog monitoring talk and we could hear the coyotes yipping all around us. Fortunately they weren't as close to us as the frogs were!

Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  06:27:56 AM  Show Profile
We had a beautiful full moon last night and I was carefully looking for a pink hue. Right now the Phlox are blooming along roadsides everywhere in this part of Florida. While I tried hard to see a pink hue to the moon, I can't say that I actually saw that. However, I had read about the pink moon on weather.com and I was delighted to learn about all the names and colors that have been assigned to each month. Fascinating! A full moon is a thing of beauty no matter what month or color it is.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  12:40:37 PM  Show Profile
I am excited to look at the pink moon tonight. So far our skies look clear, so I should be able to see the moon tonight. Hoping to see the pink tint as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  03:55:09 AM  Show Profile
It was beautiful last night. I thought it was more orange as it was coming up.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  04:52:58 AM  Show Profile
We had a beautiful and slightly orange tinged moon last night here. I was so glad the clouds cleared away for us to actually see it. I did wake up in the wee hours of the morning, but couldn't convince myself to leave my warm bed to go stare at the moon. Seeing it in the evening was enough for me!

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  08:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Well here in N.E.Ohio around 10PM, high in the eastern sky, I just happen to look out while closing my blinds and low and behold, there was a big hazy moon with a wide pink ring around it! I don't know why it was hazy last night. It didn't rain or anything. But there was a huge ring around the moon and it was slightly 'pink!'
I'm so excited to have seen that!
*Thank You Lord for such a beautiful sight*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The serious go through life blowing far too few raspberries!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  12:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I was able to see the pinkish tint to the moon last night. It was beautiful! Thanks Dawn for sharing!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  7:58:09 PM  Show Profile
The moon was really beautiful last night but the day before we had 4 inches of snow...no phlox here yet!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Full Pink Moon Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page