Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Feeding pets raw diet?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Feeding pets raw diet? Next Topic  

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Temperate Rainforest Oregon
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  4:25:41 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if this is the place to start this post; but I didn't see anywhere else to start it. I'm thinking of switching my old cat to a raw meat diet because her food gives her stomach aches and makes her throw up. What do you think of giving your cats and dogs raw meat?

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile
I give my dog, Annie, raw beef from time to time. Never chicken or pork. I have given a sick dog cooked chicken and rice. When I had cats I gave them canned tuna, salmon, or sardines several times a week. I hope you find something that will agree with your cat.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  06:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Our pets are not at all similar to their wild ancestors. They have evolved beyond the need for a raw diet. With that in mind, I would be very sparing about giving raw food to a domesticated animal. I know that cats have difficulty digesting anything plant based. There are several good, well-balanced, all meat cat foods that can help digestion and have the added benefit of reducing there stool.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  6:02:38 PM  Show Profile
We feed our dogs raw game meat as their dog food and have for about four years and prior to that raw beef. When we make our own game dog food we add carrots and veggies from our garden. One is a lab/shepherd 13 years old and the other is a shizu and he is 15 years old. Never take them to the vet and are not on any medications. We started because the lab/shepherd was allergic to dog food.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  04:27:02 AM  Show Profile
The greyhound kennels would make a stew of meats and vegetables COOKED.
A number of the raw, refrigerated dog foods are continually being recalled due to various bacteria contaminants.

That said, my hubby's dad raised and trained bird dogs. He fed bagged dog food and big knuckle bones from the grocer/meat market.

Dogs are omnivores... cats are carnivores. What ever you choose to feed add veggies to it. Dogs need carbs to. If you give a hamburger etc.. my Vet recommends giving him the bun to eat too.
My show dogs ate dog food... beautifully healthy.

My jack russel/bird dog mix got Pancreatitis because his previous dog food has too much FAT in it. That's why dogs get gastritis after July 4 th eating hot dogs.. they can't digest too much fat.. So as long as their diet is balanced, and they have no vomiting or diarrhea, feed what works for the pups.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Feeding pets raw diet? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page