katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  7:30:31 PM  Show Profile
As a little girl living in both the USA and in Germany,,, we moved a lot (daddy was career Army)and so we had to have/live with minimal possessions. For me it was my Barbie doll, and her large wardrobe case filled with costumes and shoes...
I recently found a wonderful book at our local Thrift...that cataloged Barbie and friends and clothing from 1959 to 1967.
I was such a delight to read and reminance..
Barbie was quit the trend setter as well as very practical...

to protect her cute outfits, Barbie wore an apron...

she was demure in her night wear... and she was very interested in maintaining her perfect 110lbs, and even had a book on how to loose weight,, you could tell by her scale which showed she weighed only 110lbs...

Oh and she knew how important it was to wear the proper undergarments. Garter belt, stocking and all!
I think the only outfit Barbie never owned was,,, sweat pants and sweat shirt! Silly Barbie,, she had no idea how comfy it was to put your hair in a ponytail, put on your fav fluffy slippers, grab a bag of pretzels and a glass of wine and watch a great old Audrey Hepburn movie wearing your sweats!!!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on May 26 2017 7:33:13 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, Gracie!!! I love your Barbie memories and clothes!!! Me, my sister and our friends would play Barbies for HOURS when we were kids... Gosh, how I loved when we'd open our cases and clothes would just come popping out... So many fun outfits... I never saw GARTERS before, though!!! LOL!!! I had a Barbie airplane and camper, and we would make them into houses and use them for all sorts of other purposes - a hospital, a restaurant, etc. We would make play dough food to serve at meal times, and GI Joe would always clean his plate! Oh, the memories!!! LOL!!! Thanks so much for bringing them back and making me smile. I'm going to have to call my sister tomorrow and reminisce, too... Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  8:14:13 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I only had the red swimsuit Barbie with the red high heels. My Mama made some really nice clothes for her though. I made her a closet out of a cardboard box, complete with a wire hanger rod going across to hold all of her homemade outfits. I hung her clothes on those little hangers that Daddy's socks came on. Talk about a little girl using her imagination. Wow... I guess I truly did. The man in her life was Johnny West. He and his palomino, Thunderbolt, visited often. Does anybody else remember him? My sis and I were horse crazy back then. That's why we went the 'rancher' route. *giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The serious go through life blowing far too few raspberries!"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  8:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh my.. yes,, GI Joe and Johnny.. I didn't have them, but some of my friends brothers did...tho I think even back then,, a lot of dads didn't want their sons playing with dolls, even military/cowboy ones...

I remember one of my dear friend's grammy knitting/crocheting dresses for Barbie... oh how I wish I had had a granny who knit/crochet...

My sister would get into my room and pillage and plunder my Barbie wardrobe..my dad order me to give my Barbie and everything to my sister,,, and with in a few weeks all was lost or ruined.. I was devastated,,, it was like walking away from a dear friend in need...

I have purchased 2 replica Barbies in the black & white swim suit w/blond ponytail,, one was a 35yr Anniversay doll and the other was a 50yr Anniversary Barbie.
Some day I will find a sweet vintage Barbie in decent shape that doesn't cost 3 arms and 4 legs! lol!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on May 26 2017 8:45:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  2:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Grace,, friend,, you are killing me. I never knew Barbie had garters. LOL! I loved playing with Barbie also. One day I became so agitated because her tiny hi-heels would not stay on her feet. So I glued them on.

Now that I have aged, I assumed Miss Barbie also has aged. And do I have some questions for her? Using myself experience of course.
LOL!!!!!

Barbie,, Do you..

1. Have thinning hair? Mine is so thin, you
can read my thoughts.
2. Do you have crepe like skin? My skin is
crepe like that my grandchildren spray
paint my arms and use them as streamers
stretched across the room.
3. Do you have to pluck out an occasion chin
hair? So do I! This is why my hair is so
thin. It is traveling downward.
4. Do your hands and fingers still look
soft and silky? Mine don't. Arthritis has
my fingers going all kinds of directions.
5. Do you still have pretty little bottles
of perfume sitting on your vanity?
Not me. Mine have been replaced with
tubes of Ben Gay, Icy Hot, Knee and Joint
pain relievers. etc..
6. And how about bladder control? Enough
said.
7. Do you have night sweats with menopause?
I do. Wake up drenched. LOl!

Guess I better stop here. Becoming moody and irritable. How about you Barbie?

Grace, You have me busting a gut from laughing so hard at some of your comments that follow the pictures. Friend, you are a real HOOT!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  5:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Deb and Grace you have me ROFLOL! Wow, never had a Barbie with garters.She must have been rated PG! LOL! I wanted to glue these shoes on too but never did! Memories and laughs. Keep them coming girls!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  8:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Yes... those awful shoes. If I would have had a friend back then that had braces...I would have asked
for some of her tiny rubber bands and found a way to use them to keep those silly shoes on.hahaha
Deborah, you cracked me up girl! Thanks for the giggles!
Grace, yup, that was my Johnny and Thunderbolt. Sis had the brown horse with black mane & tail. She said she googled it and there was a whole bunch of horses and figures, even an Indian to that set. WHAT?... and we didn't know??? Had we known, we would have pestered our parents till we had more of them!hahaha

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
FGOTM:Jan.2012
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The serious go through life blowing far too few raspberries!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  11:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Love it Grace. I don't recall my Barbie being that fashionable. All I really remember is that she went around barefoot almost all the time. Keeping her shoes on was overrated!

I do have two Christmas edition themed Barbies with stands. Still to this day I wish I had her beautiful blue and white snowflake dress. Maybe one day if I ever get super talented I'll make me a matching one!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  08:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Krista... ahhh... but you have the talent of crocheting... you could crochet a lovely Winter frock for Barbie...
hmmm....
;)

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear Grace! Don't give me ideas! Lol! Now you know I am going to try it!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My Friend Barbie... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page