texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  09:35:49 AM  Show Profile
My dh and I have dreamed of owning a (vintage) camper forever.

Twice in the past month we went to look but passed both times. One was a 1972 but the pop out was not what we were looking for. The other was a 1962 but was so roached out and rusted, we wouldn't know what to do. It was not quite right for us either.

Still dreamin!!!!! I am wondering, for those of you who have "new" but look "vintage" campers, do you like them? If you have a "new but doesn't look vintage" camper, how hard was it to "glamp" her up? Advice appreciated.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nicole,, it's all a matter of what one wants,,, comfort or vintage or in between...
I luv my lil Serro Scotty w/no potty... but I would not mind a new(er) trailer w/a potty & shower...
My Scotty is a 1963 and cozy,, but small and can get bone chillin' cold in low temps... (that's where a down comforter comes in handy).. I keep a small room heater with a thermostat and set it at 65 through the night... takes the chill off,, but I have to be hooked up to electricity.

Now my my '72 Aristocrat has a built in propane heater, and a chemical potty in a closet, but no shower... I have it up in Washington,,, to play in, when I am there.
I also have a 1949 Viking Cub Cruiser,,,, 12 feet small, and it is a total ground up restoration... $7.000 just for the basic resto...

So, simply said,,, the older the trailer,,, the more time & $$ you will put into it,,, the new ones may cost a bit more,, but most likely not in need of major (I hope) repairs...

Do your due diligence,,,, you have to be willing to put time and money into any old trailer... I have seen to many gals buy 'resto' trailers and end up scraping them...

As for the new 'retro' trailers,, of the gals I know who have bought the Shasta and Scotty trailer retro trailers,, 1/2 loved them and 1/2 hated them... I believe Holiday House has a retro trailer as well, but I have not heard positive things about it.

It might be better to get a later model trailer,,, like mid 1970's and camp/play in it to see if it something you really want to do... and then you can either go newer or older, depending on your wants & needs... or,,, better yet,, see if there are any vintage trailer rental companies where you live,,, rent one for a few days... to help you navigate living in tiny quarters,,,
There are several companies here in California that rent trailers.... one is called 'Tinker Tin'....

Don't give up your dream,,,, and when you least expect it,,, that perfect lil trailer will pop up!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  11:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole! I can't address your actual question about the new trailers they are making now that look like vintage trailers, except to say what a great idea! There is a manufacturer in my state that is putting out a line and they cost under $20k and have all the modern amenities, plus you don't have to wonder if it's going to fall apart on you as you start down the highway! I can see lots of reasons to go that way if it's in your budget.

I would suggest you make a list of what it is you are wanting in a trailer and figure out if it really needs to be vintage or not. I got here kind of accidentally; I just wanted to be able to camp with my grandkids, but sleep on a bed and not have all that dreadful clean-up and put-away that comes at the end of a tent-camping trip. So I went on Craigslist to find a bed on wheels that could also store all my gear for me. I kept those two criteria at the top of my list while looking. I soon began to realize I was gravitating toward a certain look which called to my inner soul, as well. That's when I knew I was looking for a vintage trailer.

If you aren't in a place in life where you want a project, stay away from the oldies. They just weren't built to last half a century---but they have. And if you can't stand the look of fake wood grain, plastic paneling and cupboards (like I can't) then be honest with yourself. Some people really love the 1970s decor. And if you want to feel like you are in a home-away-from-home, a new trailer is what you are going to be happy with.

If, on the other hand, you both feel like you could take on a little bit of a project, I have this advice for you: Don't try to do it all at once, and always have your trailer in traveling condition when the camping season starts. I'm convinced that the reason for all the gutted vintage trailers out on the market today is that people dive in with too much gusto, get overwhelmed, and really just want to go camping. So they ditch the project and find a finished trailer instead.

I ceremoniously pulled my trailer out of the workshop last week to signal that I am NOT doing any more projects on it this year. Time to start camping! But, I have a long list of things to tackle on it once winter sets in. It's my 2018 renovation list, and I won't let myself look at it until then. So in the meantime, I put up with the off-square door frame, the unmatched formicas between the new dinette and the old kitchen, and the lack of upper cabinets over the stove. They can wait. I still have a bed on wheels, and the cutest storage system for all my outdoor camping needs I've ever owned!

Keep on searching!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  7:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Well said Sara...
The first priority is that the trailer be 'road worthy, road safe....

New tires...trailer tires not vehicle tires...
Wheel bearings greased/packed...
Windows and doors in operational order.
Water and propane lines working....

You can always remodel and decorate in the off season....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Almost but no cigar Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page