danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2017 :  6:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Several of my herbs have went to flower before I had a chance to cut them back to preserve some for later by drying them. Specifically my lemon thyme , can I wait until the flowers die of and then still harvest ? Or have I missed out?

Thank you
Farm girl sister 4202
Danyel

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2017 :  7:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Danyel, Herb flowers are edible. I use them fresh or dried in teas, sugars, jams/jellies, and vinegars. I try to get a first harvest before flowering but I don't always make it in time. My last harvest in the fall is with flowers. If I have more than one plant of the same herb I will let one flower for the butterflies and bees.

Flowering does take energy from the plant so the herb may not be as strong if harvested right after flowering. Also the oils in herbs are at their strongest in the mornings. Wait for the dew to dry to prevent spreading diseases.

I grow Greek oregano only for medicinal teas so I have let it flower. When the flowers die I will dead head and keep them picked off and harvest it in the fall for winter tea for colds/flu. I grow Mexican oregano for cooking and since I use it often it does not have a chance to flower.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2017 :  03:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, i will go ahead and at least use it if needed and maybe wait a while to harvest to dry.
Farm girl sister
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2017 :  06:15:07 AM  Show Profile
ohhhh....Sara good info! Thanks, I can use this too! Need to get out and harvest a few of my herbs before they flower! I do save some for the bees specifically too!!! :)

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2017 :  11:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara. I wasn't aware that the flowers were edible either. I'll do some research to see what I can use mine for.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2017 :  3:04:49 PM  Show Profile
The herb flowers make great garnishes for soups & salads.

Enjoy!
Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2017 :  2:56:06 PM  Show Profile
My daughter stopped by and admired my expanding herb garden , commented on how pretty the lemon thyme looks in bloom and said I will gladly try it ! Not the least bit worried about the flowers. This is only my second year with my herb garden, last year we were only to harvest a little for drying to use over winter, this year the herbs are producing a little better. Especially the mint, it sure is aggressive, I think I will actually clip some of it way back. Chocolate mint is my favorite one.
Farm girl sister
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2017 :  6:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Mint is EXTREMELY aggressive!!! I planted a single tiny plant in South Carolina, and within a year or two it took over!!! This year, I am planning on putting my mint in a pot!!! Chocolate mint is delicious!!! It makes a lovely snack with a TINY piece of stevia!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Herb went to flower Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page