farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2017 :  4:02:55 PM  Show Profile
So I finished up my beginner level of Green Energy today and thought I'd share some of what I found. I say some, because I tend to write a full length report for everything (can't take the teacher out of me!)

Our energy provider is Met-Ed.

I was surprised to find that it was made up of more than one source. The largest, coal, is what I assumed the generation would be. I was very pleased to find out that it our electric company is one of the region’s largest wind power providers.

I also learned that a byproduct of coal is calcium sulfite. One of our major coal mines in Pennsylvania developed a process to eliminate the need for this to be dumped in the landfill. They convert the calcium sulfite into gypsum which is then use by a nearby factory to make drywall. To me this is a good solution to a bad problem!

Here are snapshots of a comparison table I did of the major methods of energy production. I found the website http://energy4me.org/all-about-energy/ to be an excellent source of information!

Sorry for the quality of the picture in the "cons" column. My table didn't transfer to a JPEG too well.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Green Energy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page