Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Putting Away for Winter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Putting Away for Winter Next Topic  

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2017 :  03:54:55 AM  Show Profile
I looked for this one and didn't see it so I decided to start a new thread. I'm sorry if I missed one that was already started.

For my beginner level, I researched three veggies that I plan on freezing for this winter from my garden. Here they are with an explanation for each. I also included an explanation of blanching because that is so important when freezing vegetables and even some fruits.

How to Freeze Three Different Types of Fresh Produce

1. Carrots –
Wash, peel, and cut into rounds, chunks, matchsticks or keep whole
Blanch. For cut and shredded put carrots into a steamer basket and put into boiling water and blanch for 1 – 3 minutes. For whole carrots put in boiling water for 5 minutes
Put in an ice bath for 3 – 5 minutes. This stops the cooking process.
Drain and pat dry to remove any excess moisture
Pre-freeze cut carrots (not necessary for whole or shredded). Lay carrots out on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 – 2 hours. This helps reduce the carrots from sticking to itself.
Package, date, and freeze for up to 9 months

2. Zucchini –
Wash, cut into about ½” rounds, chunks or shred it. How you cut it will determine how it will be best prepared after its frozen. For instance, shredded would be the best choice for making bread
Blanch. For rounds and chunks put into boiling water and blanch for 1 – 3 minutes. The colors should turn a bright green but they should not get really soft. For shredded blanch in a steamer basket for 2 minutes. Don’t cut more than your pot can handle because the zucchini can turn brown.
Put in an ice bath for 3 – 5 minutes. This stops the cooking process.
Drain and pat dry to remove any excess moisture
Pre-freeze rounds and chunks. Lay zucchini out on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 – 2 hours. This helps reduce the zucchini from sticking to itself.
Package, date, and freeze for up to 1 year

3. Tomatoes –
Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 60 – 90 seconds.
Plunge tomatoes immediately into an ice bath. (Skins will fall from flesh)
Prepare tomatoes. Stem and core, leave whole or cut (cutting reduces space needs especially if you make every effort to freeze lying flat), make sure to save juices!
Pre-freeze by laying tomatoes on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 – 2 hours (check to make sure whole tomatoes have frozen)
Package, date and freeze for up to 12 – 18 months

Blanching is a way to stop enzyme action that can cause loss of flavor and texture. It also brightens the color of the vegetable. While this is important, dirt and organisms are removed during the blanching process so blanching times are critical.

You should boil water, then add the vegetable, bring the water back to a boil, then begin timing.

A comprehensive list of blanching times for vegetables can be found at the following website:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2017 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile
This is some great info! I plan to freeze some zucchini this year as well. I already have a ton ready to be picked. I will see how many tomatoes I get before I decide if I will freeze them. Nice job Katie!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2017 :  2:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Krista!

The nice thing about freezing tomatoes is when you have that day where you harvest 50 pounds and you just can't make another jar of sauce or soup; you can freeze them and save them to process in the middle of winter when a pot of fresh sauce on the stove would smell oh so good.

Good luck with the zucchini. I picked my first one of many today!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Putting Away for Winter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page