Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Scorpions - How can I get rid of them?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Scorpions - How can I get rid of them? Next Topic  

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  1:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have found 7 scorpions in my house in the last month and a half. I'm sure that means there are more here - hiding. Do you have any ideas on how to get rid of them? Since they do not "preen" themselves, they have to get sprayed or "hit" in some way with something that will kill them. I do not want me or any grandkids or guests to get bitten by one of them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  2:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Linda
My chickens love them. So we capture them and toss them out....gone in seconds! But they are awful when you get too many entering your home. We have only had two so far. But again I think chickens capture them outside before they make it in. I hope you can get help with better answers.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  8:09:00 PM  Show Profile
oh yikes! and where do they come from? I found one in my car,,, below the cup holder.. and I live in the mountains!!!!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  8:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
They supposedly come in with new wood. My neighbor built a new house 2 years ago, and that's when they started getting bad. At least more than 1 or 2 to me is bad.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  05:57:35 AM  Show Profile
YIKES!!!! I have no suggestions, sorry, but I must admit scorpions scare me!!! I'm 99% positive we are too cold here, but I'm going to look it up now, lol. I had no idea chickens would eat them though!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  07:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yep - I think I'd heard about chickens. I think there may be a nest of scorpions under the house. It's been sprayed a couple times, but doesn't seem to have gotten rid of them. Maybe I need to borrow some of my DIL's chickens. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  07:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Linda
When we used to have our office sprayed for bugs we were told to kill scorpions it had to be different than standard chemicals used. But that was 20 years back so it may be different now.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  10:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yep - it is the same now. They need to get the chemical directly on them. I think that's why they have been coming up - because of the spraying. I hate thinking about one falling out of an air vent on me.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  12:01:07 PM  Show Profile
I know, that scares me also. I check ceilings each night before bed but the vents are always another possibility. Good luck and pray for a hard winter. My kids make fun of me living in Tx and wanting a hard winter. But I figure it's worth praying for.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, a hard winter would definitely help kill them. We haven't really had one for several years.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  11:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Linda, my cat, Gracie, attacks all the scorpions coming into the house! She flattens them with a fast swat, then brings them and places them on side of her litter box.
My hubby and I are amazed at how fast she is. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  6:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Marly - my cat brings me pieces of bird and mouses at the front door mat. I wish she'd get the scorpions.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  10:11:25 PM  Show Profile
I heard once that lavendar helps... Fresh lavendar bundles or sachets, but I'm not sure it's realistic to out near every door and window, but thought I'd throw it out there. Otherwise, I know my sister in law sprayed the perimeter of there house twice a year.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  07:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love lavender! Maybe I will try that. At least it would make the house smell nice. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Scorpions - How can I get rid of them? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page