Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  2:27:45 PM  Show Profile
This past week, I visited a friend in north Georgia and we went to Mercier's Orchard for some of their early apples. Available now are Ginger Golds and Zesters. They are tart, crunchy, and perfect for baking, canning and eating.

I decided today to make some thick and chunky applesauce. I keep the skin on and then mash it all up with a potato masher to give it a thick consistency. The sauce has only 1 cup of sugar for a huge pot of apples, two teaspoons of apple pie spice, and 1 table spoon of vanilla extract after they have completed cooking. The Vanilla extract is a carry over from what my Mom always did. It adds some sweetness without more sugar.

It turned out delicious and I love that I will have some canned for when apple season is over and we are back to store apples! There is nothing so delicious as a freshly picked apple in season!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  5:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Looks wonderful Winnie! I'm looking forward to apple season, I used the last jar of applesauce this past week and I refuse to buy store bought if I can hold out. I bake with it occasionally, though, so I don't know if that hope will become reality. Good pickin'!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  5:55:40 PM  Show Profile
BTW - are the Zesters red, green or gold? I have never heard of them.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2017 :  06:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Zesters are a light green apple with a pretty red blush over the top. They are an early apple here in the lower South like north Georgia. This is the first time I have ever tasted Zesters too and they are quite good with a firm flesh, and a sweet/tart flavor.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2017 :  11:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Looks so delicious! I love making my own applesauce. I typically only make enough to go in the fridge. I will have to try canning some!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2017 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I do mine in the crock-pot. It does all the work. I core the apples (leave the skin on) and cut them into sixths (sorry, former math teacher.) I put them in with a little organic apple juice, turn it on low and let it be. I couldn't tell you how many apples, I just fill the pot until the lid just barely goes on. If you put too much juice in you can always cook it down later. Then I either mash it with that 4 prong thing that chops ground beef (does that thingy have a name?) or I run it through a food mill depending on whether I want chunky or smooth. YUMMY!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2017 :  2:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I meant to ask at the end...how do you do yours?

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Katie! You're probably past applesaucing by now, but I'll still jump in.
I have one of those handy apple peeling/coring/slicing gadgets that clamp to the counter. You put an apple on the spike, turn the handle and !voila! the whole apple is ready to go into the pot! The other day my 4-year-old grandson turned the handle for me until we had enough to fill my 9 dehydrator trays. Any gadget that gets kids interested in food prep makes me happy!
I use the same tool for sauce. Thrown in a big pot with just a bit of water in the bottom to prevent scorching, they cook down in a short time, and I don't have to do any processing other than breaking them up with a wooden spoon.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  11:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Katie, I'm not sure if you are asking me or Winnie how we make our applesauce but I can tell you mine. Since I only make small little batches mainly for my boys, I will peel, core, and slice and then put them in my steamer. When they are done steaming I put them in my baby bullet which is basically a small blender and blend them up. I don't add anything to them except a tiny bit of water. That way my boys are getting straight apples in their applesauce. I will start leaving the skins on when they are older.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  12:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Fresh is so good enjoy

Farming in WI