AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2019 :  02:55:20 AM  Show Profile

I switched out our animal cam memory sticks the other day and had this surprise on them. We have seen the wild turkeys in groups of about 50 in the neighborhood, but we got 16 frames of them walking through the snow on our game trail out back. The snow is still fairly deep here but beginning to melt in places so they can scratch and feed. The bobcat is also around again. Best to you sisters! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2019 :  11:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Annie, that is so amazing! I would love to experience these wild animals in my yard. It would be such an exciting surprise seeing what pops up on the camera. My dad has one that only turns on when it notices motion. Is yours like that?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2019 :  10:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, ours is a motion sensor also. It has been so entertaining to see what is out back. And it helps our awareness of what's on the trail for when we take our walks, which are usually mid-day. Each animal seems to have its own hour so to speak on the game trail.

We were surprised to see Elk on our trail. It has been 5 years since elk were on our property. There was one Big Daddy and four female. So exciting! We have a garden hut out back that serves as a place we could quick duck into it if we were to encounter creatures on our walk.

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2019 :  10:51:08 PM  Show Profile

Here are two young deer surviving their first winter. The next photo is the same two born this past early summer. And the same one is in the lead! I hope the foliage leafs out fast as the deer are looking so skinny now.

Enjoy! Annie

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2019 :  10:59:56 PM  Show Profile

Okay sisters, I can't help myself. But I thought you would like to see a Varied Male Thrush, a male Northern Flicker and a Black Capped Chickadee. I have bird feeders out front and take photos from my window. Being a city girl I had never seen these birds until I moved to Idaho at the age of 61. So new adventures do still happen as one gets older. I am enjoying the natural surroundings for sure and the hymn, "How Great Thou Art" often comes to mind. Enjoy! Annie

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2019 :  05:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Annie, this Florida Farmgirl is enjoying your bird photos very much!! Like you, watching and learning about birds has become a great source of fun and pleasure too. Way over here and down in the South, we don't see the Varied Male Thriush or Norhtern Flicker, so I am excited to see what these birds look like close up! Black capped Chickadees, however, are year round residents here at my backyard and they are so cute and feisty!! Our variety, however, does not have a full black head, but rather just a small back cap on the top of it's head. Lately, we have been enjoying a small crowd of Goldfinches who have wintered here before heading north. It is wonderful to see the male feathers get brighter yellow as the days pass. They won'
t be here long, so we have been enjoying every day we get with them! Thanks for sharing your photos!! It is fun to see what other Farmgirls enjoy in their backyards.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2019 :  10:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie,
In my bird field guide map for your region it looks to be that your chickadee may be the Carolina Chickadee. They are brazen little creatures and somehow survive here even in the minus zero temperatures and snow storms. I imagine you get wonderful birds to watch! These birds below are Bohemian Waxwings! Also Mr. Marmot lives here. I hope to see him after the ground thaws. Thank you for your reply! Annie

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2019 :  12:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! How gorgeous! Annie, you are one lucky lady! Those deer and elk have me mesmerized. I can only imagine looking out my windows and seeing those beautiful creatures. Definitely sharing these photos with my husband. Hopefully we can find us a place like this. Keep sharing your photos! I love seeing them all!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2019 :  03:25:18 AM  Show Profile
thank you for sharing your fantastic pictures. The moose are amazing. stay safe.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Wild Animal Encounters Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page