Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Build It Green - Intermediate Requirement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Build It Green - Intermediate Requirement Next Topic  

cyndieparz72
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Cyndie
Port Vue PA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2017 :  8:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Without really realizing it, I actually do decorate my home rather Green! Plants . . . natural elements, such as Seashells, unfinished wood, rocks, crystals, etc. . . . but even more importantly - up-cycling, re-purposing and reuse.

Some great examples of up-cycling, repurposing and resue:

Wine bottle vases
Tree stump tables
Concrete cinder block planters
Christmas card ornament balls
Candy tin diaroamas
"Fancy" empty bottles just placed out and about
Recycled Sari rugs

For natural decorating, always opt for Organic fabrics and furniture if possible. If you have wood furnishings, make sure they are natural wood and that they are not treated with tosic chemicals.

Instead of buying overpriced, imported junk" , decorate shelves and coffee tables with natural elements:

Reused wide mouth jars filled with collected seashells . . .

Carved natural statues/candleholders/etc (like soapstone) - but make sure these are "unfinished".

Handmade, fair trade and natural
baskets.

A pretty bowl (from a thrift store!) of Amethyst or other crystals

Geodes (natural - not dyed)

Here are some of the examples of things I have done:

About 5 years ago, I took an old 1940's newspaper page I found in my Grandmother's Cedar Chest passed to me and had it professionally framed with a reclaimed wood frame.

I have a large piece of Presili Bluestone on my coffee table a friend brought back for me from Pembrokshire, West Wales. In case you are wondering, Presili Bluestone is the stone that Stonehenge is made from. It can only be found one quarry in the entire world.

I have live plants as curtains in my Kitchen instead of toxic, synthetic fabric curtains.

I have bamboo blinds in my bathroom and several bamboo plants in my bathroom.

I have Aloe plants all over my home (it will not stop growing!) in various vintage, thrift-store purchased containers or clay containers. It adds a lot of "nature" feeling in my home.

I have random stones all over the house on shelves that were acquired in various places and have special meanings (example - a stone my husband found in his Mother's driveway that was simply out of place)

I have large Tridacna seashells I purchased at an estate sale on my dresser in my bedroom.

Most importantly - NEVER purchase store bought flowers unless you can be sure they are organic. Most Florist flowers come from other countries where workers are exposed to toxic and dangerous conditions and paid slave wages.

With Eco/Green Decorating, you can get quite creative - you are only limited by your imagination. You don't need to spend a lot of, if any, money, and trust me, you will feel good doing it!

Farmgirl #7407
“I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” Hippolyte Taine

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2017 :  1:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful, Cyndie! Keep up the great work! I love having live plants in my house as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Build It Green - Intermediate Requirement Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page