MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  1:04:10 PM  Show Profile
What do you do with your green onions? I still have quite a few left in my garden and want to pick them and save them for winter. Do you dry them? Do you freeze them? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Krista

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  08:15:46 AM  Show Profile
Krista I dry green onions. Some of the dried green onions I put in the blender with herbs and spices and make all kinds of mixes. I especially like to do Tex-Mex or eastern blends.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  11:49:14 AM  Show Profile
That sounds really good, Sara. Thank you! What do you store them in once dried?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  12:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Mason or other glass jars. Store out of direct light.

Check out the blends in MJF Ideal Book starting on page 129. I have made and liked Indian Flavor; Mexican Flavor; Caribbean Flavor. This winter when I'm looking for something to do I hope to make the Thai and African Flavors. I also like to make up my own blends.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  10:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Great. Thank you! I will look up those blends. Thank you so much for the tips. Let me know what you think about the Thai and African flavors.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  10:09:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a lot of onions, too. I believe they are called Egyptian onions, and they take over!! Sara, how do you dry them? :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  04:01:01 AM  Show Profile
Anne, I only dry store bought onions in dehydrator. The green onions I slice thin and lay in single layer on tray.

If drying mature onions I chop in food processor and spread on tray. Pat dry with paper towel if onions are wet. As the chopped onions begin to dry stir them to keep from clumping together.

I also thin slice mature onions in rings and lay in single layer on tray. Dried Texas 1015 sweet onions and yellow onions are good this way.

Drying onions will smell up your house. I don't mind the smell but some people do.

I don't grow onions so I haven't dried them whole for winter keeping. Always thought it would be neat to tie them in bunches and hang from the rafters.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  4:02:42 PM  Show Profile
I never thought of drying big onions. I used all of my big onions this year but if I have any extra next year I will have to dry them. Do you leave them in rings once dried?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  4:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Krista, it depends on the size of the onions. If rings will fit into wide mouth jar I leave them whole but if too big I break them up.

Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  4:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips, Sara!!! :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2017 :  11:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh nice! Thanks Sara! You have been very helpful. I'm planning on picking my green onions today since we are just getting colder and colder.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2017 :  8:57:59 PM  Show Profile
I have planted some indoors and put near a southern window. I am in USDA Zone 8, so usually I just leave them outside, but of course we also don't typically stay frozen for long. ;) But if it is mid-winter, I will take bought green onions that are about to go bad and stick them in a coffee can with good soil and just let them grow.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  05:13:07 AM  Show Profile
Never thought about growing them. Thanks for the tip, Amanda.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  11:23:30 AM  Show Profile
I read that if you cut off the roots and replant them they will regrow. So when I was cutting all my onions I saved the roots and replanted them. We shall see if I get some more that regrow. If not that's okay. It's all for fun!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  10:10:19 PM  Show Profile
They are really just a bulb, so I don't see why that wouldn't work. I have taken some pretty funky green onions (like wilty messes) from the fridge and they always have rooted. Pretty cool! I just pulled off the nastiest leaves and that was it.

I grew celery once that way, but then I tried several more times with no luck. I don't know how I got lucky that first time!

Oh, you can also plant garlic...that's pretty cool! Here in Zone 8, we are supposed to plant garlic in October and then it's ready to harvest sometime late May, but I'll stick it in the ground or a pot anytime. I just hate to let something die. Lol!!!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2017 :  11:15:59 AM  Show Profile
Awesome! I'll have to keep you posted on what it does. Fingers crossed it works.

I have been wanting to grow my own garlic. I LOVE garlic. But by fall things get to crazy and I never get around to it. I made myself a promise that I will plant some this next fall. This will give me plenty of time to do my research and see what kind I want to grow.

That's way cool about your celery. I wonder why the rest of the times didn't work.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2017 :  1:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes, fall gets crazy! I just now got my fall garden in, and only because I know we will have at least a week of 80 degree weather. I am always late getting it planted, but who wants to be in the terrible TX heat, planting stuff all summer??? Not me! We are supposed to plant fall tomatoes July 4th. Yeah, right...sure. ha!

I think maybe that my other celery were trimmed more on the bottom than the others? There wasn't any way for them to root, I guess?

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile
I am always late getting my garden in as well! Luckily my dad gets after me and helps me get it done. I'm glad we don't have to plant in summer heat so I don't blame you for wanting to wait. What did you plant?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  1:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Krista, aren't there some garlic varieties that can be planted in spring and harvested in early summer? If so, you don't have to wait a whole year to fulfill your goal!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  12:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know that! Thanks Sara. I will look into that and see if I can plant some next spring!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  2:33:27 PM  Show Profile
Krista,

I planted broccoli, cabbage, chard, kohlrabi, carrots, turnips, collards, lettuce, beets, two kinds of kale....ummmm, that might be it? Bear in mind I do square foot gardening, though, so this is only in four 4'x4' boxes. It looks like a lot, but it only took a few minutes to do. :)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  11:35:29 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had that much room! We only have a small box that I try and fit everything in. But I grow some of my herbs, green onions, and tomatoes in pots to help save room in my box. If we move we plan to find a place with more land for my garden.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  10:08:40 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, very impressive in that tiny space! But your system is SO much easier than out in a field of weeds, like mine. I'm making a plan to switch to some raised beds next year.
I've planted all the same as you, except not kohlrabi or turnips, and I have Brussels sprouts instead of broccoli. Your winters must be similar to mine.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile
I have to chuckle....this thread is about green onions, and we don't seem to be growing any! I have successfully grown bunching onions, but this year they didn't germinate.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  12:15:38 PM  Show Profile
That is true, Sara! We seem to have changed topic directions. But that's okay. I love getting to know everyone.

My tiny garden is raised as well which really does help with weeds and such.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  07:56:57 AM  Show Profile
And I apologize, Krista. I see that you DID mention your green onions growing in pots.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Saving green onions Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page