Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Need help on material list Next Topic  

Carol1981
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  12:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Hello, all,

Recently I've purchased DYI chicken coop plan with an included material list, but I'm not so sure if it's made according to the US standards and if I'll be able to find all materials in some shop in Houston where I live
Please check the pictures I've attached. Can anyone help me on this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2017 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carol!

I can't see it very well because when I zoom in, it's blurry. However, I think I see what you mean; there are some odd sizes there. I'd have to have some clarification, too. Surely they mean 2" x 4"'s and not 5" x 3"! Lol. Hope you get a got a good answer! :D

One suggestion, no matter what you build, is to use nothing larger than 1/2" hardware cloth (wire) when building the coop. Anything bigger and you are going to have a ratsnake eating your eggs and possibly your young birds. Take it from another E. TX farmgal! I have pulled out so many ratsnakes from our coop that I have lost count.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile
I live in Magnolia, I use Lowe's and Tractor Supply Company for all of my building and fence needs. I agree with msdoolittle, about 1/2" hardware cloth to keep snakes out. I don't mind a snake, they help keep the mice and rats under control. Once I locate where "snaky" is hiding at in the daytime, I give it lots of room and leave it alone. That said, I always look in the nest box before inserting my hand to prevent heart palpations. An egg or two now and then vs rodent control is a fair tradeoff here.

Find something to smile about every day. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2017 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Exactly, Kathryn! Once upon a time, I relocated all of the rat snakes I had found to another snake-safe location. About two months later, it was MOUSE HEAVEN and looks like a Biblical plague was upon my house. Never again. I actually found a rat snake in our woods, caught it, and put it in a known 'mouse hole'! Ha!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  04:39:45 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

I am not sure whether I am too late to chime in on your chicken house project. I have created several houses for different poultry. I live up north so we have to consider snow load in the winter for the roof. I would think, without seeing a picture of the finished house that you could use pressure treated 2" X 6" lumber to lay flat along the ground for a base or you could use pressure treated 4" X 4" standing up to lift the house off the ground.

I think that you probably could make the rest with 2'' X 4" lumber. I do not know what a 3" X 5" piece of lumber is. I too can not see your numbers on the chart. Maybe the 5 is the length and not the width and is in feet.

We have snakes and I cultivate them but we do not have poisonous ones up here. Cold, cold winters are good for keeping the poisonous beings away from our neck of the woods. lol We do have weasels and raccoons and fox and coyote though.

I think you should take the picture and the list to you lumber yard and ask someone there. I usually do that and the nice people help me figure out what I need.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Need help on material list Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page