Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic
Page: of 8

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  2:01:31 PM  Show Profile
Sowed one pot Chervil - on deck.
Sowed one long container - sorrel - east side of house.

Baby greens are growing like weeds.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  9:07:49 PM  Show Profile
I've just found this thread and am loving reading about what everyone is doing. Unfortunately my greenhouse took a lot of damage in the last windstorm and I need to do a lot of repairs, then I will get some tomatoes started. I am also planning to create some new beds for dye plants for my wool dyeing this year. Lots to do just getting beds cleaned up. I've been working all winter on bringing in loads of cedar chips to put down between my raised beds.
I want to put in automatic watering on a few more beds each year and not having to mow between them will make it possible.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  9:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Jill, so happy you found us - we do enjoy talking about our gardens. I'm sorry about your greenhouse's damage. Hope you get it up and running for your tomatoes.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Pesky nasty squirrel dug in my chervil pot so I will have to re-sow today. To keep him out I will turn upside-down a wire hanging basket. Have already tried it and the basket fits over the sides for about 2" so there is plenty of room for the plant to grow.

Squirrels also dug in baby greens containers so will have to think of a way to protect what's left. Squirrels are nasty rodents and we're overrun with them.

I moved the little bay tree out on the deck this morning. Will keep an eye on it to make sure it likes the move. We usually get a cold snap at Easter so will have to watch for lower temps.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  2:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I know what you mean about the squirrels. As a nut farmers we aren't too fond of them either. They leave holes in the orchard floor.
I also have to protect my seed beds from intruders, but mine are cats looking for an easy litter box. I have to lay chicken wire across new beds until the seedlings are all up.
Would it work to arrange all your pots together on a table and cover them with one large piece of netting?
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2018 :  6:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies, needless to say from my previous post that mother nature played an evil trick on me! As I said, the weather had been gorgeous and unusually warm for a few weeks, trees were budding out, bees and butterflies returning, purple martins returning, volunteer seedlings coming back up in the flower garden and asparagus bolting up through the warm soil! ( I harvested a handful already!!) Had to mow twice and weedeat around the pond! BUT, just as I was making up my rows and mapping out my garden plans a cold front came in with several nights of below 30, a slight warmup and again another front with below 30 temps. Killed all the volunteers, and I had to cover my perennials ( yes they made it)!! Lots of rain again so now I sit and wait it all out with seeds in hand! :) No squirrel problems as they have PLENTY of wooded areas and my bird feeders to feast on although SOMEONE tugged out my celery plants and ate them completely gone! So as we begin to warm up for the 'true Spring', I am re-thinking my garden plans and just might take up Sara M.'s suggestion of making a few raised garden beds but keep my flower bed and herb bed where they are because they tend to stay fairly dry. SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  05:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, Spring is such a fickle lady! You just have to rein in those urges and keep one eye on the calendar at all times. I have great admiration for raised beds and those who maintain them, but I only have one at this time. They really cut down your spring prep and weeding and help to maximize use of space. I think you have they same problem I have, which is too much space and giving in to the temptation to plant it all. Why wouldn't we? There's room for 20- ft rows and no one likes to leave seeds in the opened packet! Ah, Spring. I always think I'm capable of superhuman things in the Spring, and the air is full of optimism and potential!

Do you have a garden tractor? I've been wanting to plant a small block of shelling beans that could be maintained with equipment (that I don't really have)
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  05:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Jill, I just noticed your post above. I would love to hear about your dye-plants beds! Which plants are you planning to grow? How much dyeing do you do? Do you have your own sheep? And finally, you must be a spinner? I have 4 alpacas and have dyed fiber in the past but I'm currently limiting the number of projects I'm working on and fiber arts are not allowed, but I'd still love to hear what you are doing!

I'd also love to have a small greenhouse....(sigh)
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  12:11:49 PM  Show Profile
Today I attended a Seed Swap hosted by our local Farm Extension. I came to learn (or re-learn) how to garden and left with lots of seeds: oregano, white sunflower, morning glory, bush beans, peas, lettuce, corn,yellow and spaghetti squash. Plus my mom gifted me wanna bulbs, lavender, and 4 I'm clock seeds. Just have to wait for April.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  12:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Darn spellchecker! Canna bulbs and 4:00 seeds.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  12:24:40 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, the seed swap sounds like it would be fun.

Sowed small bed of yellow 4 O'clock seeds in front of Yellow Rose Cottage today. They came from my sister Betty's farm. They come back for her each year and since she only lives 30 miles from me I hope they do well for me too.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  2:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jill! We need to 'talk'!! I've been growing and experimenting with dye plants for about a year now! I have had lots of failures and incredible successes! I am slowly learning and I am loving each and every moment of it!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  2:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Our Springs are unpredictable for sure Sara! last year I had hummers by the middle of February and it STAYED warm, straight from winter to SUMMER!! I thought for sure this year was going to be the same with those 3 weeks of humid warm weather but it wasn't so. It's ok, I am Gemini so I can fluctuate WITH the weather changes easily! lol! Yes, I love the garden tractor but it IS the weather that makes the 5 acres VERY difficult to plant and keep weeded so I am genuinely considering raised beds for this year! Time to get out the man tools and start building!!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2018 :  06:49:41 AM  Show Profile
I have been visiting my daughter in Baltimore this week and she is wanting to grow some vegetables in pots on her deck this summer. Do you all have any advice for her? Varieties that work well, things to avoid? Has anyone ever grown beets in a pot?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2018 :  1:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Sara I grew fennel a couple of years ago in a pot and Swiss chard.

I think any veg could be grown in the right pot for it's growing conditions. Root vegs would need deeper pots than greens. I've seen pictures of cucumbers and tomatoes grown in pots in tomato cages.

Received Republic of Texas yellow rose today from the Antique Rose Emporium. Planted it in a pot in front of Yellow Rose Cottage.

Two of my orders for herbs should ship March 27 and the last order first week of April. I'm going to need more potting soil and energy to get them all in containers.

Go to Top of Page

DesignsByJennMiller
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jennifer
marlin Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2018 :  5:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Cleaning up after winter has to be the worst job next to pulling weeds! Wow, I am worn out and I've only scratched the surface. :( It's amazing what is discovered after all the snow melts! LOL Here are a few quick shots, what I worked on today:

Strawberries and my faithful helper, Winnie

The front most bed it chives and will be basil and cilantro. I trimmed the roses in the background today too. My wild roses are infested with galls! I am trying to get a handle on that. The other beds, don't look, they're a nightmare!

Jenn M.
FarmGirl Sisterhood #6804
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByJennMiller
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2018 :  08:17:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jenn, you do have your work cut out for you! Good thing you have your faithful helper at your side. I LOVE your massive posts for framing! And you have the whole area fenced? That's a nice thing. I've always pictured a lovely fenced veggie garden with no dogs, cats or deer. Are you all past the snow season up there?
Go to Top of Page

DesignsByJennMiller
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jennifer
marlin Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2018 :  5:49:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes and no for snow, we could still get snow up until early June. But, this year the forecast has been good and very limited snow. The posts used to be dark brown railroad ties but they are super old. The railroad is replacing all the ties on our line here soon and I am apt to snag some discards from them if I can. The garden is mostly fenced, but the deer can still jump the fence they are very talented at jumping. Luckily they only come through after most of the growing is done because they stay out on the range most of the year.

Jenn M.
FarmGirl Sisterhood #6804
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByJennMiller
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2018 :  10:09:34 AM  Show Profile
Chervil is emerging.

Received e-mail from Mountain Valley Growers (I order herbs from them) asked if they could combine 3 orders. I said yes and it saved me $39 in shipping. They refunded my account and it will be there when I order in the fall. Fall is a good time in Texas to plant herbs. Should be here tomorrow. I like the quality of their plants and their customer service is excellent.

Today I will pick baby greens to go in spring soup. So much fun to have them at my back door.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2018 :  08:19:47 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever cooked with nettles? I know they are edible and packed with good things -- AND they are all over my property -- but I have never tried to eat them.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2018 :  09:24:47 AM  Show Profile
Potted today: caper bush; Kentucky Colonel spearmint; apple mint; pineapple mint; and pennyroyal (member of mint family).

Republic of Texas yellow rose has one wee bud.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2018 :  06:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Raised bed built. Need a lot more to fill it.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2018 :  06:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Nora that's going to be a great raised bed. I like your design.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2018 :  5:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara. Hopefully it will work well also.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6789 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6789 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  10:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Planted 6 prostrate rosemary plants along sidewalk to front porch. Three on each side between pots of herbs. Later today or tomorrow hope to plant 4 dill plants along same sidewalk between pots of herbs. Running out of sunny places so herbs are going in front yard.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page