Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic
Page: of 8

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  07:58:58 AM  Show Profile
This morning I'm getting ready to sow my fall garden in the morning. First I marked off the two raised beds with the help of a permeant marker and yardstick. When I sow the seeds tomorrow I will know exactly where to put them. Beets every 4" - Carrots every 1" - Swiss Chard every 8" which yields 23 beet plants - Carrots 92 plants - Swiss Chart 6 plants.

Second I have counted out the seeds for carrots, Swiss chard, and beets into little bowls. The package for beets says to soak them up to 24 hours before sowing so I have them soaking. My Square Foot Gardening book says to soak the carrots and Swiss Chard 30 minutes to help jump start them. They are all ready to add water to in the morning.

I enjoy the planning and getting ready as much as I do tending the plants and watching them grow.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  12:45:57 PM  Show Profile

Sara sounds as if you are ready for your Fall gardening...I hope everything grows and multiplies in abundance for you!!! You make me think of my Daddy...He loved planting and watching his garden grow!!! He usually planted Turnip and Mustard Greens for the Fall and we would freeze them in abundance for the Winter months...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  2:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Judy for blessing my little garden. When someone hopes something for me I receive it as a blessing. Greens seem to be one of the fall favorites here in TX. I have two 1' X 8' beds for fall garden so I had to pick what I really wanted to grow. Swiss chard is $3.98 a bunch in the stores and greens are 99 cents - 79 cents on sale so that helped me to decide on growing Swiss chard.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  6:43:07 PM  Show Profile

Sara I can understand why you would grow Swiss chard!!! Something I never eat so I didn't realize how expensive it is!!! I sure hope it does well for you!!! Have you ever eaten fresh leaf lettuce cut up with green onions chopped to go in it and pour hot bacon grease over it...That used to be a family favorite when I was growing up...Folks around here called it "Lettuce Killed In Grease"!!! Delicious with Pinto Beans and Cornbread!!!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  7:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Judy, us Texans call it wilted salad - no matter what you call it it's yummy! Have you had red-eyed gravy with buttermilk biscuits?

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  12:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I hope you get a great Fall garden harvest this year!! Sometimes the cooler weather can bring out the best in greens too. I love Swiss Chard and eat it all the time. The baby leaves are delicious in a salad to replace lettuce, I think. Greens are always a welcomed addition to Fall meals as there are so many ways to enjoy them. Beets are another favorite of mine as well and always delicious whether hot, cold or pickled.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  6:14:50 PM  Show Profile

Sara...Not sure if we are speaking of the same thing...but my Mom and Granny used to pour a bit of water in a hot skillet where pork had been fried...especially pork chops or ham...We would pour it over breakfast gravy with biscuits...Oh so delicious...I still make it from time to time...Some people made it from coffee...However...we never did...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  6:20:26 PM  Show Profile
Same thing, Judy, I've only had it made with coffee.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  04:57:48 AM  Show Profile
This is what my grandparents did but I never watched or cared. My grandfather poured this over his biscuits every morning---I never liked it but oh how I would like to go back in time and try it now.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  11:01:40 AM  Show Profile

Hi Sisters, This is some of my bounty. I have made several batches of soup from my zucchini and tomatoes. So delicious and great for winter time. My freezer has just enough room for a few more loaves of zucchini bread. I am such an amateur at gardening and learn something new each time. This time I learned about cross pollination. I knew about it with corn, but not pumpkins and zucchini. But the yellow pumpkin is so delicious! A blend of pear, apple, pumpkin and zucchini flavors. Added a sprinkle of nutmeg and some herbs along with chicken stock. My 3 year old tiger lily is over 7 feet tall this year with multiple blooms. Amazing! My gladiolas were beautiful this year but the heat melted the blooms so quickly that I cut myself bouquets to enjoy inside the house. I have had a fun time and got a 3rd place ribbon for my zucchini over 10" at our local Northern Idaho State Fair. Yeah! Have a great fall. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  12:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Annie great harvest and beautiful pictures. Congratulations on your 3rd place ribbon.

Not sure yet but all of my beet seeds may make. No sign of carrots or Swiss Chard yet. I am keeping the top of the soil damp by watering in the mornings and evening. High 90s temps are brutal on young seedlings. Even though the temps are still high the sun seems to have lost some of it's harshness. Looking for the mellower sun of the fall.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  2:20:58 PM  Show Profile
I should be outside transplanting and cleaning up my little garden vinettes,, but,, nahh! I am having fun crafting today.. maybe tomorrow I will work out in my garden.. or Sunday,, or Monday or... lolol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  3:03:41 PM  Show Profile
lol Grace I have faith you'll get around to it.

Received an email from Botanical Interest (I buy seeds from them)about sowing perennials now. Perennials start to drop their seeds the end of summer and early fall so it's a good time to sow them too. In the next week or so I hope to sow mallow rose (dwarf hollyhock); four O'clocks; bread poppy; and outhouse hollyhocks. Need to order milkweed seeds for monarch butteries.

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2018 :  4:16:42 PM  Show Profile
As soon as the smoke clears here, I have my fall garden all planned, I'll be outside planting. Tomorrow is the all clear for clean air here. Temperatures are down where I like them, 60's & 70's.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thecopperedsea
http://vintagegathering.blogspot.com
Love The People God Gave You Because He Will Need Them Back Someday.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  12:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia, glad to hear the smoke has cleared. Happy fall planting.

Carrots are starting to show and Swiss chard is up so all the seeds I sowed are making. Won't be long and the beets will need thinning. It's still in the high 90s here but the raised beds get afternoon shade which is a must for fall gardening in Texas. Still watering the seedings twice a day.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile
Pulled out most of my deck pots this weekend - they were just done. Some bell pepper plants are still doing well so I left those - and most of the marigolds are going like gangbusters still.

I'm hoping to pick up some pots of mums this week and I'll put those is the empty containers. Toying with the idea of throwing some into a few of my hanging baskets that are played out. Two baskets of Million Bells are still looking very pretty but the petunias are kaput.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  1:15:21 PM  Show Profile
My mums just exploded this year, can't wait for them to bloom. I have pulled out petunias and some Zinnias. Plan on planting some Turnip Greens as soon as it gets cooler. Last week I have had so many bees! It's been years since I saw that many at one time, there were at least 40 Yesterday! We have a Beekeeper down the road now and it has made all the difference in the world!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
FGOTM August 2014, September 2018
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  7:14:25 PM  Show Profile

Connie your pictures are beautiful!!!I love Zinnias...Speaking of bees...we hardly have seen any at our place this year...That greatly concerns me...We need the little critters around!!!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  06:48:47 AM  Show Profile
I also LOVE zinnias! We have some growing in a deck pot - the survivors from a packet of wildflower seeds I let DS plant as an experiment :)

I ripped out all the petunias and last of cucumbers this weekend. Discovered a couple of asparagus ferns hiding in the middle of the petunia baskets so I saved those and moved them to a deck pot with some marigolds.

Replanted 3 hanging baskets with mums. Planted two wooden barrel looking planters with more mums and transplanted marigolds from various deck pots that had been emptied of veggies. Moved the planters to the front porch and they look great!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  07:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, zinnias and mums - your porch must be beautiful.

I took out two herbs in the raised beds that did not do good in our heat. Will not try growing them again. Yesterday I planted 12 garlic cloves from grocery store. This morning I mulched with last years leaves. While I had the sack of leaves handy I mulched the two beds of herbs so they are all set for the winter. When leaves start to fall they will get another layer.

Beets, carrots, and Swiss Chard are doing good. We've had rain so that has helped and it's been cooler.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  11:03:50 AM  Show Profile
These gardens and bounty are inspirational!! It is way to hot and humid for planting right now. We need to get the days dries and temps down in the 60s at night before the veggies will be happy again. However, Florida can grow huge volumes of leafy greens like turnips, kale, collards, and chard most all of our late fall and winter season since we don't get too many really cold temps.

My daughter did get this HUGE crop of Florida Seminole pumpkins this year!!

I have about a dozen here now and several packages of meat already frozen. They just about took over my daughter's side yard and even after she tried pulling up most of the plant, there are more bools and tiny pumpkins forming on what was left of the plant!! LOL!! The meat is dark orange, it has a thin skin like butternut squash, and the meat is very sweet and delicious. I have already made pumpkin bread with the first batch I cooked. Lots more to process and will then most likely give some away for others to make pies around Thanksgiving time. The meat is perfect for a pie with it's deep flavor!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile
One of the things I like about gardening are the unexpected joys. This morning I prepped two small beds along sidewalk leading to front porch to sow bread poppy seeds. After finishing I opened the old mailbox I keep on the front porch for gloves and garden tools - a wee lizard scooted out. I like lizards so I was happy to see him. Hope he finds a new home.

Old mailboxes are great to keep gloves and small garden tools handy. Keeps me from going to the garden shed in back yard when I need something in the front yard.

Go to Top of Page

GardenSpells
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Maria
Lewiston MN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2018 :  12:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Hello, garden lovers! Oh, I think I found my people! lol. I love gardening too, and I am sad at how the growing season went by so fast. However, this transition between summer and fall is always my favorite because everything is blooming, especially my dahlias!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2018 :  12:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Maria, your dahlias are beautiful.

My fall garden is struggling since temperatures went back up to 101 heat index and the rain stopped. Hope the seedlings hang on until cooler weather arrives.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2018 :  3:20:42 PM  Show Profile
After three days of rain my wee fall seedlings are beaten down. Have seeds left from first sowing so I will re-sow beets and ruby red Swiss Chard. Will not re-sow the colored carrots. I just don't like fooling with those teeny-weeny seeds. Hope the second sowing does better than the first. Can't complain too much about the rain because we really needed the rain and could use more.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens 2018 - Harvest - Fall Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page