saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  1:47:21 PM  Show Profile

I have discovered, as an adult, that I love beets and my family does too. But I realize that whenever I cook them we really don't finish them. I'm thinking its the presentation. I generally remove the greens (which I cook separately) and boil, peel and cut up the roots. Maybe some pepper or butter on them. I'm hoping there are some irresistible beet recipes out there that will change the way we enjoy them.

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  1:56:08 PM  Show Profile
After cutting off the beet greens and washing/drying I wrap beets individually in tin foil with either fresh or dried herbs of choice. Rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme are good choices. Roast in 425 oven on a cookie sheet. When cool peel them and add salt and pepper. To serve you can leave whole or slice. I like cold roasted beets with a dab of sour cream.

I have a roasted pickle beet recipe that is very good. I can't remember If I sent you a copy or not. If I didn't and you want a copy let me know.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile
That sounds yummy! I think I'll try some tonight. I had to pick some because a gopher was munching them!

You did send me that recipe, thank you! Yes, our favorite way to eat beets is pickled on a green salad. But I've already put up about 20 1/2-pints and I don't think we need any more than that so I'm trying to branch out some.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  04:07:41 AM  Show Profile
Slice them very think and add feta and thin slices of red onion for a delicious salad!

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, three of my favorite ingredients!! Thanks for the great, new salad idea!

Maybe I'll toss on some fresh walnuts...!
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh I will have to try these recipes. I want to add beets to my diet. I tried beet juice and no bueno. Tried it with other juices and muy Malo.

Went to you tube for help. Will give the recipes a try and see.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  08:05:41 AM  Show Profile
Nancy you are hilarious!

I've never made beet juice. And beet soup sounds overpowering, but an entire nation enjoys it so who am I to question?!

Do try some boiled or baked beets Nancy. They are so sweet and earthy! My 4 year old grandson would rather have a plate of beets at the salad bar of a pizzeria than the pizza. And the sweetness of beet along with the tang of Bleu cheese or Gruyere on a green salad is the best. Which is why I'm looking forward to Dawn's salad recipe.

The baked beets with fresh herbs are delectable...I peeled and ate one like an apple! I think next time I'll try more than one twig of herb. Our first autumn rain is falling here and its finally becoming a season of roasted veggies and cozy dishes.
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  10:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, I will try cooking them. Will they turn my tongue purple red like blue gatorade turns it blue

TW

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  12:03:43 PM  Show Profile
I haven't personally tried this recipe but it sounds delicious!
It's MaryJane's Roasted Beet Soup

http://www.raisingjane.org/journal/45766

Krista
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  12:26:17 PM  Show Profile
Apples carrots beets Julianne matchstick size. Your favorite Coleslaw dressing. Yummy

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  9:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! At this rate I'm going to run out of beets just trying all the recipes!

Dawn, the beet/red onion/feta salad was hands down amazing! That is going to become a staple for me!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  9:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Apples carrots and beets, hm? Interesting! And very much a fall salad. Great idea!

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  9:26:15 PM  Show Profile
I have to admit, Krista, the beet soup recipe does sound amazing. I guess I'll take the plunge and give it a try! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  5:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I bought some beets and roasted them. While they were roasting I sauteed the greens in olive oil and garlic, little s&p. Greens were great. When the beets came out of the oven, after finishing the preparation took a taste. They were actully really good. I think I found a way to add beets to the diet.

TW

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  9:40:04 PM  Show Profile
Yay! Another convert!

I think I love the greens a little bit more than the root. I boil them and top with butter and pepper.

If you are a gardener and buy seeds, there are certain varieties with better greens. Beets are one of the veggies I love to grow almost more than I love to eat. They always germinate and grow quickly. They are so rewarding to see in the row, all bushy and leafy. They are a three-for-one vegetable because you can pick greens for salads while they are growing, and then you get a dish of steamed greens and the root at harvest time. And every time I decide one is ready to harvest it's like opening a long-awaited gift. A gentle tug and that big, red bulb comes up, moist soil clinging to it, and it gives me a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and happiness. I always over-plant beets, too, because the thinnings are delicious in fresh green salads.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite Beet Recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page