Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Dottie Angel frock? Anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Dottie Angel frock? Anyone? Next Topic  

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  9:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever heard of the Dottie Angel frock? It's Simplicity pattern 1080. It's called 'granny chic'. I just cut out the fabric this evening and plan on finishing it this weekend. Google an image and let me know what you think!

It screams "farmgirl" to me!!! I was able to use vintage fabric given to me by a friend and I'm really excited about it. It's similar to a housedress of days gone by. My Mamaw used to wear them and I think they are just adorable.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog

sargesproudwife
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Christine Marie
NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  05:42:53 AM  Show Profile
It's adorable!

Christine, Sister #7295
www.theginghambow.etsy.com
www.theginghambow.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  08:20:02 AM  Show Profile
Deborah,

I sure will! Off to buy some bias tape makers today and then I can continue on it. I have heard some negatives about it on PatternReview.com, so I am not putting in the 'bust tucks' until I have tried it on myself. There are also complaints that the sleeves gape to where you can see too much. I'll work on it and let you know. The last thing I need to do is scare off the FedEx man with my 'too revealing' granny chic housedress. LOL.

Christine, I think so, too!!! :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  11:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Super cute! They actually look really comfortable. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile
I hope they are, too! I am all about some comfort. I just got the bias tape makers, so I'll be a little behind on finishing it, but hopefully this week!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

Brosia
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Ambrosia
Massillon Ohio
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  3:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I love this pattern! Granted, I haven't had a chance to use it, yet. I do most of my sewing when I'm stuck inside in the winter. But I have all of the Dottie Angel patterns and the fabric for them stashed away. Please keep us updated on your progress!

Peace & Love,
Brosia
Farmgirl #7494
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile
So I finished about 90 percent of it today, y'all! Some observations:

I sized it to my bust size, as recommended, but it is a little (and I mean just a very few inches) snug in the booty. I"ll note this for next time.

The armholes, as noted by others online, are ginormous. Try this baby on over your head first and mark where you want the armholes to end.

I found the usage of some of the bias tape odd. If it isn't going to show, I am either going to use the tape as you normally would finish a seam (I did this for the neckline), OR I will do a French seam. I actually ended up just turning under the armholes. I didn't want to fool with bias tape and it looks just fine.

I wish that the contrast material on the bottom of the dress came up a bit higher. I'm 5' 4", so that may make a difference. I am sure the model is quite tall on the front of the pattern, based on where it falls on her.

I have not put on the pockets, the "bust tucks", or the tie backs yet. I am glad I didn't, because there is zero room for any tucks in my bustline, lol. And I am a picky pocket person...I need them just so. I think I'll go ahead and baste on the bias tape, then position them tomorrow and get them right where my hands would naturally fall.

There is a bit of extra fabric in the back above my buns. I hope that by careful placement of the tie backs, maybe I can take up some of this.

Overall, it's cute! I do agree with online reviews that they make it unnecessarily complicated in some areas, but I think it will come together much faster in the future now that I know where modifications need to be made. :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  8:07:25 PM  Show Profile

Here she is so far! I wasn't wild about the top fabric, but I didn't want to use my favorites until I had the pattern figured out. It is a little 'bunchy' at the mid back right now, and my mom is going to help me make a better fit. Oh how I wish I wouldn't have stopped sewing...I would be so much better at it by now!!! It's altering clothing that I am so clueless about. Oh well, one more thing to add to my "Things I Need To Learn" list!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  4:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh Amanda... you smock/apron turned out sew cute!
How fun to mix & match your fabrics....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  6:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Grace! I wanted it to be 'farmgirl funky'! :) I still have to put on the ties and figure out the fitting, and then it will be done. I can't wait to wear it!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

Brosia
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Ambrosia
Massillon Ohio
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2017 :  09:41:27 AM  Show Profile
I love it!

Peace & Love,
Brosia
Farmgirl #7494
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2017 :  10:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Brosia! :) It definitely prompted me to purchase a few books on fitting. I am clueless! I can't wait to get it done, throw on some leggings and try it out in true Farmgirl fashion. :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2017 :  12:19:53 PM  Show Profile
It turned out great! The colors definitely say Farmgirl!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2017 :  5:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Krista! I hope to make more of them. These are my autumn/winter colors. :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Dottie Angel frock? Anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page