True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  12:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so I have two questions:

First, can anyone recommend an indoor plant that will grow in water with no other medium? I’ve heard golden pathos will do this? I have a skinny jar with a bulb at the bottom that has Marino moss balls in it, but it looks unfinished and I’d like a semi-aquatic plant to come out of the top. I just don’t have any experience growing these yet!

Second, I repotted an orchid in orchid growing medium (recommended in one of the recent MJF magazines). The roots were mostly rotten or completely dry in the moss they came in, but I submerged them in water and removed all of it. I cut off the dead roots, replanted it in the medium, fertilized it, and have been spraying it lightly (once a day) or drenching it (once a week). Thinking of the kind of habitat they have in the rainforst.

It seems the two healthy roots that were left don’t look too healthy anymore. I’m trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong? I live in a humid climate, but it gets to hot in the summer and too cold in the winter to leave it on my covered porch, so I put it in front of my kitchen sink. Maybe it’s not getting enough light? Any orchid lovers have advice for me?

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

www.tinybirdsnest.com

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  09:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Ashley!

I have a similar 'bulb' jar that I have ivy growing in. I also have both English ivy and pothos rooting in water at the moment. They grow pretty well in water.

As far as orchids, is it a Phalaenopsis (moth orchid)? I also live in TX and I have successfully grown them in the house year-round. When we moved, I didn't have a good place for them and with the new work I had to do I ignored them and they died. BUT! I had a few years of success before I killed them. Lol.

Mine were in an east window, right by the glass. They would rebloom close to February. You should always repot them and remove the dead roots, just as you did. What potting medium did you go with? I used to use a bit of orchid moss (to retain moisture) and orchid bark mix. I potted it pretty loosely.

I think you may be overdoing the watering a bit. I'd personally wait until the medium is almost dry before I drenched, and this might be closer to 10 days now that it is cooler. Misting every 2-3 days should be fine. I don't remember my misting schedule, but I am a lazy gardener and so I probably only misted 2x a week. You can also set the pot on a pebble tray with water to raise humidity, too. Just make sure the water in the pebble tray isn't getting into the pot. Orchids won't sit in water without rotting.

How do the leaves look? Are they firm and smooth or wrinkled? If it is a Phal orchid, you don't ever want to see wrinkles, unless the leaf is old and about to die. Are there any new root tips trying to form? I would hold off on fertilizer and cut back on the drenching/misting and see what happens. If you can get a photo on here, that would be good, too.

Come spring or summertime, a weekly drench would likely be just fine, but in fall/winter, the water just won't evaporate as fast and can lead to root rot. I have a whole bunch of African violets, and they are the same way. A little fussy, but beautiful! This time of year, I might do the soaking every 10-14 days, maybe even longer as it gets colder. I just check the soil before I do anything. Typically, they are in a South window with no issues from late spring/summer, but fall/winter, I have lace curtains over that window or it will cook my leaves! If you have an east facing window, or perhaps a southern one with some kind of shade, your orchid would do good with that amount of light.

Hope this helps you. :)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2017 :  4:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for your thourough reply! The only two living roots are the ones that ate looking dried and sad. I have it in an orchid potting mix (it’s thick bark and charcoal). I’ve moved it from a shelf in my living room to on the window sill above my sink. The leaves are slightly wrinkly (the leaf texture, but the leaf shape is smooth). The roots underneath just look sad. Maybe I should start with a new plant? I was trying to save this one, but maybe it’s too far gone?

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

www.tinybirdsnest.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2017 :  07:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Ack! I am sorry I missed your post, Ashley!

I would stick with this plant. Orchids are remarkably resilient! I might put a couple of pieces of orchid moss (it's long and funny looking, like a weird caterpillar) underneath those roots, just so that they don't dry out 100%. I think, come spring, this plant will put out more new roots for you. Those roots actually look fine. As long as they are not brown and gross, they are okay. The fat green ones are what you want to see. :)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2017 :  07:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh! And when I am babying a plant (wanting roots to grow, wanting to get it growing), I use dollar store, clear, disposable shower caps and put it over the plant. It has saved many an African violet for me by keeping the soil from drying out and increasing the surrounding humidity. Of course, we are getting into the coldest months and tropical plants are going to be taking a little break now, as far as putting off too much new growth.

I also wanted to say that I brought back a plant that had NO leaves and just a healthy root system. I couldn't believe that thing pulled through, but it did!

Here is an article about winter time orchid care: http://www.aos.org/orchids/additional-resources/preparing-orchids-for-winter.aspx

:)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2017 :  04:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley,

I am an Advanced Master Gardener and also MaryJane’s Suburban Farmgirl Blogger. I recently wrote a blog a few months back that is all about orchid care. Thought you might like to check it out: http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/11989
Also, pathos will grow in water. I have a hanging vase that is just for that. I keep pathos in it, but change your water frequently or you will get green algae.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2017 :  2:39:06 PM  Show Profile
That's cool, Nicole!

I didn't know you were a MG. I did that when my daughter was a baby but I couldn't keep up with the volunteer hours with two little ones. But it was fun and I met a lot of 'plant people' that I would never have met otherwise. :)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2017 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both! That’s awesome Nicole! Maybe I’ll get into that whenybabies are older, they demand a lot of my time right now lol! I’ll try pathos! Amanda, the shower cap is a great idea! I’ll try that. It seem to be happier next to my parlor palm by my kitchen sink. I guess the humidity is helping them. I’ll water it like my air plants. Once a week soak, and see how it does.

www.tinybirdsnest.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  09:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Ashley... it's been awhile.. how is your Orchid doing???

Mine a straggly looking right now,,, but they always manage to come back and all of them have re-bloomed each year.

this one, like yours has the fat tub type roots,, then come and go,, but the plant is 2y/o and its keeps on hanging in there..

as for my other ones,, they have the white skinny roots... and they to just keep on,,, keeping on...

Orchids are very slow growing plants and like humid settings... so I kept mine in the master bathe out of direct sun light.. and they bloomed every year... now that we are in a new home.. I am trying to figure out where to put them.. the bathrooms do not get hardly any light.. and Orchids do like lots of light, just not direct light..

Hopefully your Orchid is doing better... don't give up on it...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  1:25:44 PM  Show Profile
That's great! It didn't survive though :( I think I just had too much root damage, then when I transplanted it, I may have kept it too dry. Parlor palm and pothos are the only house plants (outside of my aerogarden system) that has survived me, haha!

I just got one of the pink leaf plants though, and a red-tipped grassy one? I can't remember their names. Also some tillandsia air plants, so hopefully I can try an orchid again after I keep these alive!

www.tinybirdsnest.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Aqua plants and Orchids advice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page