True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2017 :  04:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Waste not - Want not

This morning I'm flash freezing leftover tomato paste from an eggplant dish I made yesterday.

I also used anchovies with capers in the same dish so they're next to the tomato paste on a tray lined with parchment paper for easy clean up.

In my kitchen I am frugal with my time and energy too. I use a lot of parchment and wax paper so I only buy them on sale. Haven't paid full price for either in decades.

How do you keep your frugal kitchen? Share how/what you do with us.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2017 :  06:33:27 AM  Show Profile
Great idea here, Sara! I plan my basic menu for the week and shop for what I need. We also use up leftovers so nothing gets wasted. When something like soup or chili is on day 3, I will freeze it in single servings for that quick needed lunch in the future. My goal is always to have a near empty fridge when it is time to go to the store. I also try and only purchase fresh organic produce each week and make sure it gets used up quickly. Like many other cooks, I am often using up veggie bits from the fridge in a vegetable soup with either lentils or beans added for some extra protein. It is amazing how good these Kitchen clean out soups end up tasting.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2017 :  06:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie for sharing how you keep your frugal kitchen. I buy groceries for the week like you do but I haven't developed the habit of menu planning. Maybe I'll add that to my 2018 do something new list.

You're right about "clean out the fridge soups" being some of the best soups I have ever made.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2017 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile
I do meal planning also. I like it because it helps me know what to get from the store and how much. I think it really helps with not over buying and wasting of food. I also really like meal plans because then I know what I'm making instead of staring in the fridge wondering what to make with a starving family in the background. Also helps to plan for busy days.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2017 :  12:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Another meal planner. Krista, I may have to see how that works for cooking for one.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2017 :  12:57:57 PM  Show Profile
I bet meal planning is much easier for one rather than 4! With a picky husband, stubborn toddler, and a baby new to eating picking meals is very difficult right now!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2017 :  05:48:29 AM  Show Profile
This morning I'm pressure canning 4 pints of broth made from leftover Thanksgiving hambone. The hambone broth will be good in beans, greens, soups and casseroles.

I make and can vegetable, chicken, beef, mushroom, and now hambone broths. Broths are made from leftover parts and pieces we usually throw away so they are a good thing in our frugal kitchens.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2017 :  07:04:45 AM  Show Profile
Today is the first of the month so I took inventory of all my home canned goods. Keeping the inventory is part of my plan to keep a frugal kitchen. It lets me know what I am using and what just sits on the shelf. I want to spend my time, energy, and money on what works for me and to keep a well managed pantry I need to know what I have.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2017 :  07:46:24 AM  Show Profile
I go between meal planning and not. I do try to keep a full and organized pantry, though, so that I can make pretty much whatever when the mood strikes.

Sara, I have also been making broth and stock lately with leftover bones. We had a couple of rotisserie chickens over Thanksgiving, so I threw the bones/leftovers in the freezer. The other day that really came in handy because my youngest was sick. I made a really nice chicken stock in my pressure cooker. Have you used your pressure cooker/Crock pot to do stock?

I made beef stock from bones a couple of weeks ago in the Crock pot, but after doing it pressure cooker, I think that's how I will do it from now on unless I have somewhere to go during the day. It only took about 45 min. in the cooker and the bones were already disintegrating.

Using my Crock pot or my pressure cooker keeps things frugal because you can take cheaper cuts of meat and turn them into something amazing.

I also try to use up leftovers, too. The other day, I made chicken and dumplings but the dumplings were cooked too long so the mostly melted, lol. I took that, added more chicken, peas, and cooked and cubed taters, and made it into a chicken pot pie 2 days later. :)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2017 :  08:02:35 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, I use my crockpot for broths. My 10 qt pressure canner is also a pressure cooker but I haven't cooked anything in it.

Good way to use your dumplings that melted. The chicken pot pie sounds tasty.

Today I am pressure canning mushroom veg broth. I bought the portabella mushrooms to use but all the vegs were bits and pieces or passed their prime.

I've decided meal planning isn't for me. I will continue to buy what's on sale and eat out of my pantry.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  12:28:20 PM  Show Profile
I try to utilize my freezers to their utmost. The trick is keeping track of what goes in them!!! It's been hard to meal plan lately, DH is on Keto diet, DS has certain things he will eat and only those things and I can't eat at all right now :( Got a stomach bug 2.5 weeks ago and still not symptom free - dr says there is something else going on and has started me on an antibiotic. Really hope it helps soon! I'm down a dress size but come on!!!

When things are normal I like to make batches of chili, red and white, then freeze in single serving portions for lunches and dinners. I also mix old fashioned oats with cinnamon, nuts and dried fruit and then scoop out what I need for breakfast in the morning. I like equal water to size of scoop - usually a half cup measure.

I freeze nuts to make them last longer before using in baking or oatmeal mix.

I buy bread from bakery outlet for 1/4th the price of the normal grocery store.

I buy meat in bulk from butcher at a significant cost savings.

Although I don't coupon much I do check the coupon blog for my favorite store every week and often will be alerted to a good deal on something we will use.

I shop at Aldi for most of weekly items - can't beat them!

I buy produce in the summer - strawberries and blueberries mainly - and freeze for fruit all winter long for DS and for DH when he makes smoothies. They also stir into muffins and quick breads well and I can make sauces from them if needed, like for topping a cheesecake, etc.

I pop my own popcorn in our Whirley Popper instead of buying microwave packets.

I do buy some things in bulk from Sam's and freeze - shredded cheese, all types of cheese really, chocolate chips, nuts, vinegar and coffee come to mind.

If I use part of a can of something I will freeze the rest. This often happens with tomato paste, green chiles or enchilada sauce.

Slow cooking cheaper cuts of meats is another good skill to learn. Low and slow - can't beat it!

Baking is all done from scratch - although I might use a cake mix from time to time - SO much cheaper than buying premade. I like to bake bread, just have gotten away from it since DH has been doing low carb. I like to hit the discount bread rack in the bakery section at our store - the day old loaves for a significant price savings. They can be sliced and frozen for use as needed.

I make my own chicken stock as well and freeze or can.

I keep heads of fresh garlic in the freezer in a ziplock. Keeps forever! You just snap off the number of cloves you need. After they sit on counter for a few minutes they are thawed enough to slice off the flat end and then you can squeeze the garlic right out of the paper - ready for mincing!

I also juice bags of lemons and limes then freeze the juice in ice cube trays (1 T each) before transferring to ziplock bags for longer storage. I wash the outsides well first so that I can freeze the empty rinds. When a recipe calls for lemon zest I just pull one out and use the microzester.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  12:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Thought of a few more things!

For white chili I get bags of dried white beans, soak overnight then cook in the crockpot before using in the chili. If you grown your own red beans, which I have, you have to google the proper way to prepare them as they have something about them that can make you sick if you don't prep them properly. White beans, pinto and black are fine though!

I make my own DIY cream of soups and freeze.

I make my own refried beans - from dried pinto beans - and freeze in sizes equivalent to what you get from a can.

I use one "can" of refried beans to 1 lb of ground beef when making taco meat to stretch the meat farther.

I make my own DIY Taco Seasoning from spices I always have on hand and keep in mason jar in pantry. 2.5 T = a packet from the store

I buy hams on sale at the holidays - you can dice them up and freeze to have on hand for adding to casseroles, omelettes and pasta salads. We also like to use our meat grinder and make ham salad sometimes.

I buy turkeys when they are on super sales at the holidays and tuck in freezer until we get a chance to make them. Once roasted I freeze the carcasses for making turkey stock another day.

I wrap celery in aluminum foil to keep in fresh and crisp in fridge for a long time. When it starts to get past it's prime it can be tossed into a pot of stock! Great way to use up carrots and onions that have almost seen their better days too! Wrapping in foil works for heads of lettuce too!

I soak fresh berries and grapes in water with a few healthy splashes of vinegar for 10 minutes, rinse twice and then air dry before putting in airtight containers in the fridge. They keep much longer this way.

I freeze leftover buttermilk right in the container - I measure what is left, pour it back in then write on the paper carton with Sharpie. Good for making pancakes, quick breads, etc.

I make my own cake flour as needed. You just measure out what is needed for recipe. Then remove 2 T flour for every cup. Add 2 T cornstarch back in for each cup. Sift 5-6 times then it's ready to use.

I make my own cornbread mixes, dry ingredients and keep in pantry. I just add eggs, milk, etc. when time to make it.

I make DIY brownie mixes, dry ingredients, and keep those on hand as well. And pancake mix too!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  1:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Jaime you do keep a frugal kitchen. Proud of you. Some of the things you do like making my own mixes and freezing or drying leftover tomato paste/sauce I also do. I like the idea of adding refried beans to taco meat.

Edited to add: Jaime you mentioned it was hard to keep track of what you put in your freezer. I finally worked out a plan to keep track of what I can. I enter date, item, quantity, and any notes in a spiral notebook that I keep in pantry with a pen. If it's not easy and handy I won't do it. First of each month I inventory my panty. Tells me what I use, what I need to can, and what just sits on the shelf.

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 12 2017 2:05:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2017 :  05:42:01 AM  Show Profile
Jaime-wow that is an awesome list!! I do a lot of this but will definitely be using some of these ideas!!

Hi Ladies! I love this thread. Getting my grocery bill under control is one of my main goals for 2018. I have 5 kids. They aren't allowed to be picky. They eat what I make or they don't eat. (I make sure to alternate things someone doesn't like with things that person does so nobody really goes hungry but I won't/can't cater to 7 different people). We are a gluten free family so that adds a challenge to our grocery budget. I also try to buy as much as I can organic but I focus on the dirty dozen to prioritize and save a little. We do shop at the farmer's market some but not a lot. We get milk from a local farm and I try to get meat from local farms but right now we are out and I probably won't be able to get more until we get our tax return. I make stock, make my own butter and yogurt, buy dry goods in bulk from a coop (we can get Azure, UNFI and Frontier, I'm still working on learning what is cheapest). We don't have a Sams or Costco but my mom does and I'm thinking about making quarterly trips to see her and go to one of them if the prices end up being better. We do have an Aldi but I haven't figured out what is best from there yet. I need to go without kids and figure it out.

I will be following along here, maybe we can share what we find that helps keep grocery costs down throughout the year??

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2017 :  2:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara, thanks for starting this thread and making us all aware of just how much good we are doing in our own kitchens! Sometimes we forget that most people in our country aren't living like we do, and we've already made a difference in our corner of the world.

Sara, you are underestimating your own planning skills. Your planning just takes place ahead of the point of consumption. I've been thinking about this while following your canning and drying threads, and I have realized that you have really streamlined meal-fixing by doing a lot of the prep at the putting-up stage. Your meals are 2/3 prepared by the time you open your pantry door, and all you have to do is open a container and put it in a pot! While dealing with your health limitations, I'm sure this relieves that difficult work of cooking if you don't have the energy.

I believe that the first step to reducing your food bill is to swear off fast foods and impulse meals out. Never plan a shopping trip at meal time. If you've been shopping and now everyone is tired and hungry, go home and find food that you bought at reasonable prices. You could feed lunch to a family of four for a week on the cost of one fast food lunch for four. Going on a road trip? Plan ahead and take sandwiches and fresh fruit. If you start this policy when your kids are young, they won't grow up to associate shopping and traveling with eating out.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2017 :  3:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I hadn't thought about it that way but I guess I do plan my plans maybe it's more like I plan for my meals.

Great point about fast foods. I have a sister who lives within a mile of me and we share fast foods. One day a week a Stop & Go has a special on double meat cheese burger basket which includes drink and fries. The burger is big enough to share so we do. Bobbie gets the drink because I stop drinking caffeine after noon. So supper cost each of us $3.00 and we don't have cleanup .

One way I save money and time at the grocery store is I don't go down the prepared food, cookies, or chip aisles.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2017 :  3:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina, buying and cooking for a large family does have its challenges. Sounds like you do a pretty good job of managing your kitchen.

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2017 :  06:25:56 AM  Show Profile
On the note of avoiding fast food...we have started cooking double on some meals specifically to put some in the freezer. That way on days we may be tempted to go out we have something quick and easy and we didn’t pay a fortune for a packaged meal with lots of additives. Last night we made two shepherds pies and froze one. I have some freezer meal books as well (the kind you dump everything in a bag and freeze then dump it all in the crock pot the day you want to eat it) so I’m going to try out some of those.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2017 :  06:46:11 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina that's a idea to cook double and freeze one.

Wednesday I found a Angus beef roast in the marked-down bin and cooked it with vegetables. Had two meals then I made soup with a little of the meat and all the veg. I flashed froze rest of the roast in small portions to be used in soups, hash, and casseroles.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2017 :  07:49:09 AM  Show Profile
If you have spare time in this week before the New Year you may want to get your frugal kitchen in order. It's a great time to straighten shelves, clean out drawers, and take inventory of food in freezer and panty; supplies you will need to freeze, can, dry, or store.

I'm looking forward to the coming year and learning about your frugal kitchens.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2017 :  11:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina - I definitely think you'll be excited once you get a chance to peruse at Aldi! They are great for everything but they do have a lot of gluten free products now too - and organic produce and other items too! Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2017 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jamie, I'm going to take a clipboard and check it out some day when I can just browse the isles and write down prices BY MYSELF!!! The key is not taking kids lol.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  05:39:28 AM  Show Profile
I receive a newsletter from the heirloom bean company where I order the dried beans I can. In the last newsletter he made soup using the broth from cooking wild rice. I have used leftover bean broth from canning to make soup but never thought about broths from other grains or vegetables I cook. I will start saving those broths.

Awhile back I dried fresh Pico de Galleo I got in marked-down bin. I drained it first and froze the liquid in ice cube tray and kept in freezer zip-lock bag. I used the frozen liquid in my New Year's black-eyed peas. Just enough heat from the jalapeno peppers.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  06:47:43 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to lower my grocery bill, but am struggling to figure out where to cut back. We are a family of ten (only nine eating), but have numerous allergies... no gluten, no cow milk dairy, no beans, no squash except zucchini... I think those are all the big ones.

Here is what we already do:
- buy our meat in bulk, or raise what we can... every year we buy a whole cow to put in the freezer, we also have some wild game, as well as chickens that we raised. Oh and fish are in the freezer as well - primarily locally caught trout. The wild game we got from my brother and a farmer...
- raise as much of our own food as we can... as I mentioned, we raised meat birds this past year, which are in the freezer. We also have laying hens, though we are having to supplement them right now, as they are not laying enough. I love to garden, and freeze, can, or dehydrate whatever excess we have. I also buy excess when it is on sale, to do the same with.
- buy in bulk from Azure. I can get Frontier out here, but haven't ordered from them since moving. Like Sabrina, I need to make a cost comparison sheet, comparing Azure, Frontier, Amazon, and our local stores.
- Bread is homemade sourdough bread primarily
- Meals and bakes goods are from scratch
- Freezer meals are made and utilized as needed
- I menu plan... though this month I am trying something new... I planned out the month of January, leaving Sundays empty. Inevitably, we end up eating leftovers once a week, or pull out something from the freezer that is quick and easy... this way I have it already built in and can just shift meals as I need to. Every week I make a grocery list based on what is on the menu for the upcoming week.
- I make my own vanilla (which I need to do today!)
- We have goats for goat milk, which we use for making butter, cheeses, etc.

Things I want to start implementing:
- I really want to start making my own seasoning blends...
- I need to make a price comparison book
- I want to start making my own gluten free pasta
- Grow more produce in the garden
- Start an orchard and berry patch
- Raise more critters for food

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2018 :  07:05:21 AM  Show Profile
Shannon reading the list of things you are now doing I think you do a marvelous job of keeping a frugal kitchen. Your plans for the coming year will add to what you do now. I can't imagine what else you can do but knowing you if it can be done you will find a way to do it.

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  05:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shannon, Wow, you really do have a frugal kitchen!! Great job!! There are a couple of things I can recommend that will help you. If you have been keeping track of what you purchase, grow to put up for use later and what you still need. . . you can begin a different approach in 2018.

First, make a list of the items you use a lot of. Whether it's food, laundry detergent, etc. Look at what your purchasing habit is now, see how often you run short and make a note next to each item. This becomes like a game. . . I love doing this part. I have the money set aside and patiently watch for when an unannounced sale shows up for the items we use a lot of. Purchase twice what I normally would. This starts stocking us up quicker, lasts longer and it was on sale.

Next, look at the items left in your pantry this spring. What do you have a lot of still remaining? For me it was green beans. Then look to see what did you run out of back in December that you would have loved having more of. Make a note about those items too.
This now gives you a better look at what to grow and can for your pantry needs.

This year I am looking into wheat berries and making my own flour. If this is as successful as I hope it will be, I'll stock up on wheat berries instead of flour, since those will store better and longer.

There are things we use that cost more by brand. Things like sugar. Try a different brand until you find one that you like that is less money. Then, stock up on that whenever they run a sale. Sugar is expensive where I live, so when I travel to a city area, I hit their stores to save on this much needed item.

And, one more thing. Don't forget to barter!! I get my fresh from the hive honey from a couple local gals in barter for my wild onions I forge each spring. I clean and dry the leaves for use in salads, soups, stews, seasoning mixes etc. They in turn, trade their honey for this wonderful herbal treat. (if you have not tried wild onion, it's known as wild garlic since it has a garlic flavor which is very mild) When I have the opportunity to gather the seeds, those are like gold! One small packet will trade for a box full of goodies for my pantry.

Hope this helps!

Joanna #566

JojoNH

http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/joannavaughan
http://www.GiftsandHomeDecorUS.com
http://www.RusticMountainPrimitives.com
http://www.eastwooddesignsinnh.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Our Frugal Kitchens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly