Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:27:04 AM  Show Profile
There are a couple old large tractor tires on our property that someone dumped. We were wondering if they would make good planters. They have been sitting out in the sun and weather for years probably but our question is would we need to be concerned about leaching if we planted food plants in them? (Hubby was thinking about planting the bramble berries in them to keep them contained). If leeching is a concern I'll probably just plant flowers in them but thought I would see what others think.

Thanks!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:31:23 AM  Show Profile
I have done Potatoes and water melons in some in ours works great.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  06:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina, I would line the tires with garden plastic/cloth so water would drain out and plant the berries. Just to be on safe side you should contact your extension agent or a Master Gardener and see if my idea is a good one.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  09:23:28 AM  Show Profile
I had heard that it's ok to plant flowers,,, but not anything that is to be consumed/edible... due to the leaching of ...something, I forget what,, from the tire into the soil.. but I have not double checked into this...

That being said,, I use to have several old truck tires around the pipes from our leach field,,, and I planted marigolds and calundulas.. for color as well as to block us from accidently running over the pipes w/the tractor.

Sara... I like your idea of lining the inside of the tire...maybe even place super small guage chicken wire down first and then the plastic... we used sm. guage chicken wire to keep the moles/gophers from eating the tap roots of bushes & bulbs..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Apr 28 2018 7:56:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  5:07:34 PM  Show Profile
I've decided to make one tire a butterfly/pollinator garden and the other one a bulb garden with bulbs that will bloom different times so that something is blooming as often as possible. But I'm going to compost in them so I don't have to buy tons of dirt (they are huge tires) so it won't be this year when I get them planted. I'm also going to paint the outside some bright obnoxious color when I find a good color on sale at the paint store!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2018 :  06:05:10 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina that sounds beautiful. I think in the right setting anything like a tire or toilet can be pleasing to the eye. I have always thought my grandma in Tn. could put a toilet in her yard and it would look like it belonged there forever. She would plant something in or around it and it would be beautiful. Your huge tires bring this to mind. I am so looking forward to spring and gardening.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2018 :  09:51:07 AM  Show Profile
My mom had several tire flower beds when I was a child. My father notched the tires and they were very pretty.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2018 :  7:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina,, I like your idea of using the old tires to contain a 'pollinator garden' and I'll bet the pollinators would like it too!
>^..^<

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Would you plant in.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page