Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Organize with Me! 2018 off to a good start...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Organize with Me! 2018 off to a good start... Next Topic
Page: of 2

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  07:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

This winter is one of the worst that I can remember! So, I have been taking a little time here and there and organizing! At Christmas, I organized the closet that has my gift wrap supplies. Cleaned and organized everything in there. Made Christmas wrapping a breeze and fun. I have organized several drawers, etc. Every week I will organize something else, big or small. Sometimes things just need to be redone, even if we organize. So, let’s motivate each other and post here what we have done! Don’t get overwhelmed, do a little at a time.

This week: I cleaned out the fridge, freezer and pantry. Got rid of “mystery frozen food” and anything past its date. Check your cans! They can expire, too. Made a list of what I was missing, and meal time has been a snap!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like this! I have been working on a bit of this myself! I cooked up a bunch of freezer burned meat for the dogs over Christmas and made me realize I need to clean out my fridge and freezer! I want to organize under the stairs and slim down the amount of *Stuff* we have. It would be so nice not to have every closet, drawer and cubby over flowing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  10:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
A great idea, Nicole. I need to do a lot of organizing - unfortunately, I have more LARGE jobs than small ones. LOL!

This week I am washing the Christmas quilts and other cloth items before packing them away. I also cleaned out the freezer of past dated items, packed up some wine glasses I don't need and got them in a box ready for the thrift shop, and found some games and puzzles for the thrift shop.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  06:00:28 AM  Show Profile
Organized my sewing room! I try to keep it neat but sometimes it gets out of hand. I went through the little credenza and re-folded all my fabric, organized my yarn stash (whew, a job in itself), and stacked the books and magazines and patterns neatly. My sewing supplies were already organized, but needed to be “spruced” a bit.

Alee, totally hear what you are saying! We have been taking a bag of “stuff” to the Goodwill drop off each week when we go to the dump for our trash. (Our town has a drop off there at the dump. Also a recycling bin, and “cubbies” for used electronics, books for the library....very organized there so it makes it easy).

Okay, farmgirls, don’t lose momemtum! I don’t have lots of time today but while I cook dinner I will organize a kitchen drawer!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  06:28:00 AM  Show Profile
My house is in fairly good shape but there are a few things that need organizing. Today or tomorrow I would like to tackle my garden files. I have folders for plants I no longer grow and probably never will again need to come out and folders for the new plants I am growing put in. I haven't kept it up over the last three years.

Nicole I have recorded the herb plant order to be delivered in April in the garden journal you gifted me. It sits on my computer table under weekly planner so it's always handy.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  06:31:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, Happy New Year! So glad you like the journal. I really use mine a lot!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  07:53:01 AM  Show Profile
We have bad weather coming in today. I started cleaning out my pantry this morning. Everything came out, and on the table. I'm even organizing my garden seeds for the upcoming season.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  10:38:37 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I have already been on that organizing path since after Christmas. For some reason, taking down the holiday decorations and thinking about a new year just inspires me to get busy. That being said, what I am also discovering is that every time I do some clean out, I come across more things that need change and cleaning on top of just looking through stuff!

I have started a monthly list of mini goals of what I want to try and accomplish with the decluttering and cleaning so that it doesn't feel so overwhelming. When I see something, I add it to the list so I can eventually get to it. It is looking like a very busy year ahead!!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  4:32:05 PM  Show Profile
My next thing to organize (maybe tomorrow) is Christmas stuff. I still need to put it up and was planning to go through the boxes and organize and reduce a bit as I'm putting it away.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com
*Journal Through The Bible*The Life Giving Home Study*Homemaker's Bookclub*

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  4:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Good post everyone! I am starting one step behind organizing. First I am getting rid of stuff I have accumulated over our 55 years of marriage. That will take some time! Then I can organize what I am keeping. You're right, winter is a dandy time to start this.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2018 :  05:28:02 AM  Show Profile
First step is thinning out, second step will be organizing. I have lived in the same place for 32 years and it is amazing how much stuff we have saved over the years. Time for major purging!

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2018 :  06:36:37 AM  Show Profile
My plant file is now in order. I did hold on to the lavender file though I have never been able to grow it in my area of Texas but someday I am sure I will give it another try.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2018 :  5:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nicole,, this doesn't quit count as 'getting organized'.. but as I unpack boxes (from our move),, I am being diligent in what I really need and what can be put in the Donate boxes... oh, if only I had done this when I was packing up... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

Sara, let me just say as that lavender is difficult to grow everywhere it seems. I have tried many times. This summer I finally planted it in a pot and so far it has lasted but I have to watch it. Brought it indoors for winter.

Grace, a move is a great time to organize, though I haven’t done that in 23 years! We did do a major cleaning out last summer of the garage, etc. Isn;t it nice to have a fresh start?

I didn’t do any major cleaning out or organizing except for one drawer which holds hair stuff. Still, every little bit helps.

What are you all organizing next?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  05:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Organized the storage closet.

Biggest feat: Getting my teenager on board to organize her room. To inspire her, we made her room look spiffy with a new rug from Ikea (needed it, the other one was from her nursery days, and it was TIME for it to GO), and a strand of lights with little purple flowers. So far so good, she is working at it.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  07:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I have been doing this over a period of time. It seems there is always something to purge and organize. I need to purge before I organize because I tend to organize everything and end up getting rid of nothing.
This is a good time with the start of a new year to get the house in order because before I know it there will be outdoor areas to organize and purge.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  07:56:17 AM  Show Profile
My husband likes to joke that I'm not happy until I throw something away every day! Haha! I'm going to join you girls. Right now I'm working on a cabinet in my office. It's one of those that is about 4 feet deep and things can get pushed way to the back. I'm wondering what kind of surprises I'll find.
Does anyone live with family members who want to SAVE everything?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Debbie,
Yes! It isn't that they want to save everything but they don't take care of their stuff and put it away.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  2:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Ha, nothing like cabin fever and being under snow for weeks at a time that makes even closet cleaning exciting! Yes, I too cleaned every drawer, cupboard and closet. So now when I take to the outdoors under sunshine and greenery(yes I am counting...uh several more weeks to go),the inside is all done and no worries. I will frolic outdoors for months! Over the Christmas holidays, when I am making all the fixings I usually put up in the freezer homemade chicken pot pies, enchiladas, homemade broth so I can just do quick soups, my ham bone went into making a huge batch of split pea soup for the freezer. I experimented and made a brandy, dried fruit ice cream, and of course peppermint ice cream. My biggest excitement was to see the linen closet all organized. Yippee. I bet you all even re-organized your Christmas decorations this time around too. Hee hee! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

1Anne
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Anne
Lebanon CT
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  12:04:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading all the comments on getting organized and thinking about where I should start. I think about this a lot!! But wait, we just got 5 inches of snow and my snowshoes are calling to me!! Maybe I'll start a project tomorrow... I'll have to think about this!! LOL :-) Anne

Yes, in God I trust.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  5:35:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm cleaning out. Went from a 5 bedroom house to a small 2 bedroom doublewide mobile home. I had 5 storage units and am now down to 2 units. Still have much more to go. I like the idea of writing monthly goals. Never thought of that, so thanks. I think I will start there.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page

GGBQuilter
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

60 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2018 :  7:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Greetings! I recently retired and also enrolled as a Farmgirl. My first goal is to organize the entire house! We have lived in our home for 28+ years and if we should decide to downsize to a smaller house, it would be nice to know exactly how much space we would need. We have collected our own 'stuff' as well as items my folks gifted as they cleaned out! The kitchen was my first room, and last evening I decided one more change to the dishes is necessary, maybe tomorrow after some quilting time, while a snow storm rolls through. The guest bedroom is good to go, just need to finish binding the quilt (quilt is on the bed). Next up will be two bedroom dressers and the master bedroom will be finished. My sewing room is an on-going project and it will come together when I finally finish sorting through the quilting magazines. The dining room and three season room are both in order. The basement will be the final area to focus on. I am determined to stay on track so when the nice weather arrives I can spend time outside working on yard projects. Two hail storms rolled through last May with a tree landing on the shed and professional help was needed. The list was long, so when the crews finished we were still cleaning as fall arrived. Keep in mind that our unorganized areas didn't happen over night, so clean up isn't going to happen in 15 minutes! A little time each day and the projects on the list will disappear!
GGBQuilter
Farmgirl #7534
Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  9:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello GGBQuilter! You and the others seem to have good action plans underway :) I've been reading FLY Lady emails, trying to get myself into the habit of getting a little bit of decluttering each day. I'm thinking with spring around the corner, getting things done will feel great!!

Diana
Farmgirl #6578
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  05:52:45 AM  Show Profile
Hay there. I'm off to get a few more tubs to put away and store the remaining Christmas items that are still laying around. Then its pay bills and hit the guest room to make room for baby item storage. I'm going to be a GRAND MOMMA !!!! My DD lives in a 5th wheel and has little storage and with baby showers and items being purchased they will need a space to store items until time for use. We are very excited. Its our 1st grand baby. TaTa. Hugs.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  07:48:46 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Daizy!!! You will love being a grandma. We just had our 4th, our first granddaughter. It doesn't matter how many you have, they are all special ! There's nothing like sitting and holding one for hours.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  11:22:32 AM  Show Profile
Daizy...congrats! How exciting!!! You must keep us all posted. What a blessing!

GGBQuilter, welcome! Congrats on your new retirement!

So...I have organized a major storage closet, and that felt great! My daughter has been organizing her room still, and bathroom. Great progress. I really need to go through my closet but I am waiting for a bit of a thaw as I don’t want to try on spring/summer items in the dead of winter.

Hubby recently cleaned his closet out.

Cleaned out a junk drawer. Also cleaned off my desk, as from time to time that needs to be done.

The closet will be a big one...

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Organize with Me! 2018 off to a good start... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page