melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  11:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Is it me or am I noticing a surge in prices for quilts? My first love as a seamstress began with quilting. I'm debating whether or not to take down my Hinterburg Quilting frame and going thru my stash of quilt tops I have accumulated over the years and pick up my needle for a respite between my embroidery and weaving.

What is your opinion regarding the climate for selling quilts?

Thank you gals I appreciate your input!

Melody

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  11:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I haven't sold one in months.
But go for it.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  11:20:17 AM  Show Profile
I was just scanning thru ebay and I was flabbergasted at the prices of finished quilts and even quilt tops.

I used to take my quilts once a year to a local Amish auction---this was years and years ago and I did very well, but then there was a huge influx of 'fake' quilts coming in from China and the bottom fell out.

Sorry to hear your sales are down Diana.

Mel
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  5:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
No one wants to pay even the price of what you have IN the quilt, let alone a bit more for your time. I donate more quilts then I've sold. Or give as gifts for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, etc.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  10:21:49 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor moved here and she had a huge stockpile of quilts she had made over the years. She had a sale and large queen size quilts sold for $80. Just over the past holidays she went to a craft bazaar at a local church and sold the remaining quilts. Most quilts sold for $80. I know the size, fabrics, machine designed quilting cost so much more. Just having it machine quilted cost her $80 and all her work, fabric, and batting was not recouped. They were complex blocks too. It was very sad to see. But she was glad to have the cupboard space again and quilts for the creativity which she can afford as a hobby. It irked her fellow sewing club members quite a bit she let them go for those prices. It is such an art and unless you have notoriety as a published quilter or known quilt instructor who do get thousands for their quilts at a show, one may end up quilting for the enjoyment factor and not for profit. Best truly to use scraps and creativity. I even hand-quilted an entire quilt. It took me five years. I gave it away as a wedding gift. The only way I think one might be able to earn some money at this art is to quilt mini wall quilts. I still paid a fair penny for a felted art piece that was 6 inches by 8 inches, so perhaps a tiny size and hand-stitched quilt may be another avenue to earn a few dollars. Hugs! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  12:03:45 PM  Show Profile
I think anymore it's really hard to sell anything handmade. Most people nowadays don't understand or appreciate the time, money, and effort that goes into hand making things. They think they can always get something better for cheaper. In my experiences many want you to make them something for free. If you end up selling quilts I wish you the best of luck and that it will be worth all your effort!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  2:02:44 PM  Show Profile
I haven't sold any quilts in over 10 years, not beause I couldn't sell any, but the fact that I've been totally concentrating on my weaving rag rugs and I have to say sales are very good.As far as quilt sales I think it's the culture of our society--people want something comparable to 'hand-crafted' or the look of something hand crafted but what with Amazon and products made cheaply overseas, the vast majority of people just do not want to spend the money on true crafted items-be it rag rugs or quilts when they can spend way less on replicated items from Amazon and overseas. With the price of basic necessities people have to be very careful about what they spend their hard earned cash on. It's really a shame but I kind of understand now why so many traditional crafts are falling by the wayside. In my mind, it's more than selling my hand crafted ART it's the idea that I am continuing a time honored tradition of quilting and weaving. I am --in my own small way---keeping the art alive.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2681 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2681 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  7:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Last summer I was finding old ratty tatty quilts at estates sales selling for around $60 - $90 each... I was tempted, but they were not worn with my families love so I didn't purchase - but, there is something so very special about a handmade quilt. My mother gifted me one for Christmas this year, something I will treasure every day forward. It breaks my heart that society has moved so far away from valuing such craftsmanship and family heirlooms. Seems society feels its so much easier to discard and replace rather than mending something. I do still think there are many out their who still value such beautiful things. Sisters, Oregon has their annual quilt show every summer... I've attached a link for a peek - AMAZING!!! Enjoy!

http://sistersoutdoorquiltshow.org/

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  9:08:07 PM  Show Profile
I was at a rummage sale a few years back when I stumbled across a lovely hand quilted beauty. The price was very, very low. I went up with the quilt and asked the two women (sisters I later found out) sitting there-- did they realize what they had and how low the price was...that it should be priced WELL above what they were asking--Sorry, but that's me-I say what I feel! They told me that their mother had quilted for as long as they could remember and that since it was obvious that I had more than a passing knowledge of quilting-and they knew I would appreciate the handiwork that they would give it to me for $10.00. I could have cried. I paid them and thanked them--told them I would take very good care of it. Best $10.00 I ever spent. I never understood why they would have their moms quilt in a rummage sale....made me sad.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  9:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have purchased several old quilts at antique shops. I love old quilts and try to think about the stories behind them. Most I paid only $40 or less for. One is a postage stamp quilt with over 7,000 tiny 3/4" squares (I multiplied number down by number across, LOL!). You can tell it was hand pieced and hand quilted. Now that took a lot of work and a lot of scraps. I, too, don't know way family members don't take and love and cherish handmade quilts from their older relatives.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

GGBQuilter
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

60 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  6:47:51 PM  Show Profile
Greetings: Vintage quilts in antique shops seem to be very expensive lately $400 plus, and not all are in excellent condition. I also feel that if the quilts are not worn with my family love, I'm not interested in purchasing them at that price. I do have a few vintage quilts that are in good condition, however, they were purchased several years ago and I truly treasure each of them. As a quilter, I also feel that when I am commissioned to make a quilt, some folks seem surprised that it isn't for free and/or think that $50-$100 is a fair wage (including sewing time, fabric, batting, quilting). Lately I seem to be making more quilts and donating them as raffle quilts, it feels so rewarding! I also volunteer to teach folks to quilt, I think it is important to keep the art of quilting alive, but also to educate about the value of hand made gifts from the heart (maybe families will keep more quilts). Melody, I am so glad you were able to rescue the quilt for $10! I recently subscribed to a new quilt magazine "Quilt Folk" is anyone else enjoying this wonderful new magazine?

GGBQuilter
Farmgirl # 7534
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Quilt prices? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page