Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 2018 February -ShillyShally Swap -CLOSED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic 2018 February -ShillyShally Swap -CLOSED Next Topic
Page: of 4

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  09:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Sure Marilyn! Glad to have you!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  7:31:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies, how many uses can you think of to use a ShillyShally for? Here are some I thought of: Head Scarf to protect from the sun, Fly Swatter, bag to carry stuff. I am sure you all can think of many more uses!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  09:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Partners are Posted :-)

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile
A place to eat your lunch. A first aid sling for an arm,
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  2:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful! Sent Rita an email!

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  4:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies, I am glad I finally came to read your comments. I just made mine and it is a print. You know I have seen squares of hemmed fabric before and wondered what they were for...now I know. I think they will be very useful when the garden begins producing beans and peas! Or when we have a good pecan crop!!! My friend's husband shells all of their peas and he also takes care of the pecans. I believe I will make one for him. He was a history teacher so I think I might need to go back to the fabric store and find some guy fabric! This is fun.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  7:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Working on mine. Simple.. Just starting to think of Soo many uses. Might want one to keep in the car. You never know when you’ll need one.
Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  10:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Finished mine this evening! Marilyn and Sabrina, I will be mailing these tomorrow! I have also thought of many more uses for these! They will fit my little table outside perfect for outdoor tea or lunch! The car idea is great Mary! I also made one out of puppy dog feet print for Abbey, my schnauzer, to put on my sofa for her to lay on!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  07:03:11 AM  Show Profile
When making cards, they could hold the scrap snips etc. Until you are finished. I think we could all use several. Now my towels can be used for what they were intended for.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  10:23:01 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Marilyn! I like to sit and trim patterns and the ShillyShally will catch all my trimmings!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  9:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Remember to post pictures and maybe some on how you will use your ShillyShally! I decided to make a couple for my neighbors, one of which raises chickens! I’m looking for some chicken print fabric for that one!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585

Edited by - OneRedZinnia on Feb 05 2018 9:50:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  1:17:24 PM  Show Profile
Who knew hemming a square of fabric could be so stressful.....first I couldn't find my rotary cutter so my edges ended up being messy, then my iron wasn't working right.....then I couldn't find thread. (Obviously, I should hold off on joining more swaps until my craft room is organized). Now I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to trim this thing...I turned the edges under twice because they aren't neat enough to only turn once....if I put lace on the inside edge where it is turned it looks dumb...if I put it on the outside edge it looks dumb. The one in the book isn't trimmed so that is not any help :(. How did y'all trim them? I had planned to get it in the mail while I'm running errands tomorrow but I'm running out of time today to work on it. :(

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com
*Journal Through The Bible*The Life Giving Home Study*Homemaker's Bookclub*

Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  4:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina, I am so sorry this has become stressful! Do you have a 'decorative' stitch on your machine? If so, use a color thread and just put a pretty decorative stitch around the edge. That is what I did! I like the simplicity of the stitch!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585

Edited by - OneRedZinnia on Feb 07 2018 5:00:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  5:02:09 PM  Show Profile
That's a good idea Deb!! I don't think it was the shilly shally itself that stressed me out I think it was a combination of wild kids, being tired and not feeling awesome, and a messy craft room LOL. I'm better now and am going to go work on it in a bit (now that hubby is home to wrangle kids). I am going to try putting the lace on OVER the seam and if that doesn't work I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for your encouragement!!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  5:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina, I totally understand kids and an unorganized craft/sewing room! Lol! I am facing an empty nest but I do remember the days of wrangling my four sons and trying to accomplish things! Enjoy your kids! Before you know it they will be all grown up. My youngest graduates this May. A ton of emotions going on here! I am busy finding things to work on that I haven't had time to over the years. I am a homeschool Mom too but my youngest is old enough that I don't have to 'sit' with him! Lol! The weather here hasnt helped. Drizzly rain and cold!

I hope you enjoy your ShillyShally! It is on its way to you!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585

Edited by - OneRedZinnia on Feb 07 2018 5:56:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  6:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina... your craft room sounds just like mine. My Momma used to say: A place for everything and everything in its place. Only I haven’t figured out where those places are.
Then there was my sinus infection Monday Spent the day in bed...and then Hubby decided to get the flu Tuesday. Cat decided to have some blood in his saliva this morning. My day continued: Hubby to Doctor. Cat to Vet... Hubby got Tamiflu. Cat got feline Pepto, and we think cat’s gingivitis caused the bleeding.. ever have a “When it rains it hurricanes kind of week.” Needless to say I’m a bit behind on 3 swaps..
Perhaps tomorrow ...
Just hang in there..Hang Strong.
Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  6:28:17 PM  Show Profile
It will be fine Sabrina! I understand frustration, I'm not seasoned with the sewing machine and I made a knotted up mess in my own, clearly I did something wrong! Thankfully, a good friend is going to help me sort it out Friday! Looking forward to photos of this project :)

Diana
Farmgirl #6578
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  6:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Girls, even those who have been sewing almost our whole lives have problems. The other day in Walmart I was looking at threads. I've been using cones rather than spools...but the breakage is so frustrating..so I spent $5.62 for a large spool of cotton thread. Wow! What a difference. I may really enjoy sewing again. My craft room/sewing room is sooooo cold,(it is a little building in the back yard)iI sew on the kitchen table. I go out to get things...and as soon as temps moderate I will finish the clean up, throw away and organize project I started in early November. Then, maybe I can use it once more.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  6:59:13 PM  Show Profile
I agree Marilyn! I have been sewing since I was a girl and I still have troubles here and there! I also use the more expensive thread because it is a whole different experience when using good thread. Right now my craft/sewing is all over the house! Lol! My DH is building me a She Shed where I will move to one day and have my house back!

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  05:40:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok Ladies,

I took a break, tended to the kids and pondered how to make what I was trying to do work for a while then went back to my sewing machine after supper when hubby was hanging out with the kids and it all went together beautifully. I don't know why I had such a mental block about how to get the lace right at first, probably too many other things on my mind. Anyway, I got it done! And I like the way it turned out (hopefully you like it too Deb) the only thing I didn't like is that the stitching on the back side isn't as pretty as I would have prefered but the front/top is lovely if I do say so!!

I actually pinned another one together for myself and two small ones for my daughter's dolls (one daughter asked while I was prepping the first one if I would make some for the dolls-the dolls have to have a mini copy of almost everything I make lol). I will hopefully find a few minutes to sew those together today. Deb your shilly is going in the mail this morning!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  08:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina...Love that the dolls will be taken care of too. That is so sweet. Glad your daughter wants to keep her “babies” well dressed and prepared .
My daughter was the Tom Boy. My youngest son was the one who wanted to play house...explains his beautiful large family today.
Mary

Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  10:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sabrina, I love that the dolls are included in the fun!
I also appreciate how supportive Farmgirls are, thanks for encouraging words Marilyn & Deb

Diana
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  3:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Wow,, so wish I had spotted this swap earlier ... but next time I will sign up..

All that said,,, what a great idea... I am going to make one for my mother to use as a shoulder wrap or large lap cover...
I think I will use my embroidery machine to stitch her name and some flowers on it.. Thanx for the great idea!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bluedog355
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Diana
Alstead New Hampshire
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile

I'm sorry Sherry, I did not make it to the post office before it closed on the 9th, but it went out this morning! My sewing friend helped me, she had an idea that deviated from the instructions, and I liked it - hope you do as well! It was a bonus, Farmgirl project & afternoon spent with a friend! I tease her that she is my personal sewing coach :)
Thinking of more uses, would be great when the car seat is either too hot or cold; with babies or toddlers around, a place to sit, nap or warm up; a sturdy cloth for holding a guinea pig or bunny in your lap; forgot a bag, tie things up inside; and when I showed it to my Gram, she mis-understood what I said and unfolded it and covered her legs while cozied up in her chair with the tv on! Then when I explained it again, she looked it over more closely, then switched to a crocheted lap robe, haha

Have a great day Farmgirls! Looking forward to seeing how everyone's ideas came out!

Diana
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I did mail your shilly shally this morning. It should reach you Monday.

TexasGran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 10 2018 1:15:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic 2018 February -ShillyShally Swap -CLOSED Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page