shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  5:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Could someone tell me how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker? Any recipies I have seen all say you need to use an ice cream maker. I hate to think of all the nasty stuff in commercial ice cream, so I won't buy it at the store anymore. I would really like to be able to make some, so could any of you farmgirls help me out ??

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  7:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Wellllll there is away you put your ice cream mix in in a nonbreakable container that will fit in a another container. One that both can be sealed with duck tape. Put the ice cream mix in the inside container and tape it up really well. Then put it in the outside container pack ice and rock salt around the ice cream container. Tape it up really well and roll it around the floor and in about 30 or 40 min you will have soft serve ice cream. It will usually leak but we have made this when we camp for ever. So very good.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  09:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I know you said without an ice cream maker, but last summer I splurged on one of the new-fangled models that have a canister that you keep in the freezer. You mix the ice cream, chill it, then put it in the canister and set it on the electric base which does the churning. Mine is small, and only holds about 1 1/2 quarts, but that makes it possible to try a new flavor every week (or sooner if you are an ice cream fanatic!) I love it! It doesn't take up a lot of room in the cupboard or freezer, its always ready to go, easy clean-up, and doesn't require the rock salt that older versions do. And it cost about $50. After 15 containers of store-bought, you've already spent that much! And you have total control over the ingredients.
Where we live there is a steady stream of local fresh fruits from May through September, so I appreciate the ease of being able to whip up a batch of homemade ice cream using whatever is in season on a hot summer day!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2018 :  06:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara - Do you mind sharing a link to the model you bought? DH is an ice cream fanatic and as he is on the Keto diet now I would like to explore making homemade ice creams he can still have. :)
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2018 :  9:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Well, technically it may not be ice cream by standards, but I have used the basic ice cream base recipe (not the custard version that uses egg yolks) which is 1 cup milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 cups heavy cream. Stir in a large bowl. Use a fruit of your choice, blended in a blender well. I use strawberries or blue berries, frozen peaches that have been partially defrosted. In a blender I then add part fruit and the ice cream base and blend like a thick ice cream shake. I pour this into small Ball Freezer containers and put in the freezer. Voila, individual servings of a creamy ice cream. I have made cranberry ice cream, coffee flavored ice cream, and the berry ice creams already mentioned. Stirring is really what makes the ice cream smooth and creamy. But these have turned out just fine. I split 1/2 of the smallest Ball freezer container between my hubby and I. Just enough for two. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  04:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I agree that commercial ice creams have some very scary ingredients. I always buy organic ice cream or gelato. They are delicious and you don't need to be a chemist to figure out what's in them. You may want to try organic ice cream until you find a recipe that will work for you. Good luck on your hunt for the right one!

Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  05:37:07 AM  Show Profile
If you're in a big hurry for something chilly, pour cream or half and half on frozen fruit, like raspberries. The cream freezes to each berry and coats it with frozen "ice cream."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  06:37:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the recipes! Sara, I will look into that type of ice cream maker..do you have a link? I only know about the older kind. And in the meantime, I am surely going to try the recipe that Diana and Annie talk about. Mary Jane..thank you for the "quick tip" for fast ice cream. I will try that one too! I am an ice cream lover !!

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  08:25:56 AM  Show Profile
This link will show the model I am using https://jet.com/product/detail/bd73b3528ced49c69718a8188d59b482?jcmp=pla:ggl:b_nj_dur_cwin_appliances_a2:appliances_small_appliances_ice_cream_machines_a2:na:PLA_892990319_46227959418_pla-320225849974_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=892990319&is_retargeting=true&clickid=bde05bb1-8b1b-4a6c-b4db-29e3bba9c9eb&gclid=CjwKCAiAk4XUBRB5EiwAHBLUMR4_9iPWgTgxGpOFqQilPrW26cvk3S0qROdAgvxpebn5QI4VuFt_XBoCnzUQAvD_BwE

But if you copy this: Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker by Cuisinart
and paste it in a search you will come up with it also. The link above lists it at $42.50
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  03:00:06 AM  Show Profile
I also have a cuisinart ice cream maker. I think mine was like 80 some dollars, but it was so worth it. I keep the container and paddle in the freezer all the time. Also check out jeni'splendid ice creams at home book. Jeni britton bauer. She also has good recipes for toppings, cones, etc. she does use corn syrup, but there is a reason. It keeps the ice cream from crystalizing. she did alot of research and makes this in her shop. I love making ice cream in the cruisinart no salt no fuss.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ice Cream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page