Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2018 :  08:05:54 AM  Show Profile
How do you decorate for spring and Easter?

grandmother and orphan farmgirl

OneRedZinnia
True Blue Farmgirl

529 Posts

Debbie
Goodrich Texas
USA
529 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2018 :  11:31:12 AM  Show Profile
I decorate with the kids Easter baskets even though they are grown, they still love candy! I also decorate with the resurrection. In the past I have made a 'garden in a pot' with plants and a tomb made from a small broken flower pot along with three crosses made from sticks and I sit it on the table. We have filled plastic eggs with the resurrection story as well. I have a new little grandson so I will have an Easter Basket for him with empty eggs this year. He is just nine months old. We plan to cook out this year after church service and when other family members arrive, have an egg hunt.

~ Deb ~
Farmgirl Sister #5585
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2018 :  3:39:21 PM  Show Profile
My dd is almost 16, but I still decorate for Easter! I have the cutest bunny dressed up in a pinafore and apron with little wooden shoes, that stands up in a doll stand. I got her decades ago at Hallmark Crown, I think she was a “Bunnies by the Bay” soft sculpture. She sits on a Hallway table. Last year I got an Annalee that is a bunny. She will go on the coffee table. My best friend gave me an early bday gift this year (my birthday falls on Easter weekend this year). It’s a vintage table runner that is embroidered with Easter bunnies. I also have some decorative eggs that I put out, and a few other little “smalls”. A friend gave me an antique candy jar shaped like Peter Rabbit. I will fill it with Jordan almonds or something like that. I am hosting my best friend and her family for Easter Sunday dinner this year, so it will be pretty china and vintage napkins on the table. Last year I was so sick from having the flu and bronchitis and pneumonia, that I didn’t get to decorate for Easter! I like to change the decor with the seasons. I think it makes life a little more special.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  03:22:53 AM  Show Profile
I decorate for EAster. It is a nice change, springy bunnies and chicks. Most all my decorations are homemade. I enjoy getting them all out and thinking of the family members who made them. I have my old Easter basket on my table. It holds eggs decorated with tatting.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  04:34:33 AM  Show Profile
I have my spring decor up already. I have a handprinted collection of lilacs from the Lilacia Park gift store in Lombard, IL. They sell local artists work and it is quite lovely. I do have a large Avon Easter home decor collection that I will put out after Nowruz. That is the Persian (my husband is originally from Iran) 13 day New Year's celebration & the final day is the first day of spring. The Persians celebrate New Years the first moment the spring equinox begins. It is a very fun and long holiday all about family.

Chilly and flurries here in the Chicago area, but it is spring in my house!
Dawn in IL

Life is like a novel, every day is a new page......
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  12:01:28 PM  Show Profile
I have a few Easter bunny and chicks that we decorate with. Lately I have seen a few crochet Easter projects that I would like to make and add to my decoration stash. I love when it's time to put up Easter decorations because that's when I put up Spring decorations as well and I love Spring! This year my oldest is 2 and I am super excited to hide some Easter eggs for him. He did pretty good last year with some help but this year he should be able to himself.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  06:17:34 AM  Show Profile
I have my decor out for Spring already. Though we still have snow on the ground.
I use my Beatrix Potter figurines, I have bunnies and lambs and some PM figurines for Spring. We also make baskets for the grandchildren and we always make a Resurrection cake.

I also have a stuffed "Rabbit" from Winnie the Pooh that my granddaughters had their picture done with and then gave to me along with the picture because they know Rabbit is my favorite character.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  06:38:22 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas.. Keep 'em coming. Now that my daughter, her husband, and two daughters have moved home to the farm, I have more of reason to think about celebratory decor.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  09:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Love reading about everyone's decorations, they all sound lovely! I have several things for Easter, mostly things I've made or a few things picked up at garage sales - "smalls" as Nicole put it :)

I made a long pale yellow felt runner for the bookshelf in our hallway that has a scroll design embroidered down both edges in black. I also made this wreath that I hang on the side door glass in our living room (you can see the runner in this shot as well):

And then I made these carrot bunches that I hang on the French doors in our living room:

I'm not super happy with how they look on the doors - have been playing with ideas of what I can add to them to make them look right.

I have a new wreath project in the works for our front door - will take faux eggs and paint in pastel colors then speckle with flecks of black paint. Plan to add them and some small sprays of faux white flowers and some faux greenery to a grapevine wreath form.

I'll be getting everything out the day after St. Patrick's :)
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2018 :  8:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
This answer is a bit off topic. While raising our daughter (who is now nearly 40) we would decorate simply by a change of tablecloth, and springtime menus. I used to hang wreaths I made on the door and add a few flowers in vases. We would have the standard Easter egg hunt around the house and yard. But, out of all of that what does my daughter remember the most? Ha, it is truly the simplest things she had remembered over the years in any celebration. I made what we called the Silver Egg out of a piece of aluminum foil crumpled up into a large egg and inside it was a $5.00 bill. We would hide it in an extra hard place to find. She loved that challenge and was so excited to find the silver egg. She still talks about that today. We just gave her a couple of Peeps and a Silver Egg and she was good to go. She did enjoy the platter of deviled eggs at meal time too. Our first Lieberg Stonecrop flowers emerged a couple of days ago, they are usually our first tiny wild flower after the snows begin to melt in the earliest days of Spring. Best to you, Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2018 :  07:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Ever since I was a child, we had an egg tree for Easter. My Mom would blow out a couple dozen eggs (starting in January to get enough) and then we would spread out all sorts of trims and beads, etc on our dining room table and decorate eggs one afternoon. Some were gifted and favorites were hung on the tree which was on a table in our dining room. The tree was a limb from outside placed in a coffee can and then covered with green Easter grass. We also had little wooden figurines under the tree in the grass for decorations. for me, it was as important as putting up the Christmas tree!

Today, I have a few of the eggs made back in the day and I place them on my little small fake tree that stays up all year. I decorate it with each season and enjoy the little white lights all year long. This year, I made some fabric ornaments from the little cookie cutters that we had growing up. Each Easter, we always had sugar cookies made from chickens and bunnies. You can also see a few eggs hanging as well. There are also several off little chickens that we used to have in our Easter baskets that Mom used to get at Woolworths. While my version of the egg tree is different from my childhood, it is just as much fun and full of the memories.

The eggs in the bowl are a mix of some hand painted eggs from a friend,balck walnuts, blown out eggs I did this year from some pretty Maran Hens who lay various shades of brown eggs, and a blown out goose egg in the center made with spanish onion skins. Each Easter, we would wrap several eggs with onion skins and wrap them in an old nylon before placing them in the pot to become hard boiled. After they cooked a few minutes, we turned off the heat and let them sit in the water bath about 30 minutes. The colors from the onion skins transfer to the egg shell and when you unwrap the egg, it has these beautiful colors of brown and yellow. Plus, when you hide those eggs in the yard, they were the trickiest ones to find!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2018 :  8:01:45 PM  Show Profile
Love the egg tree, Winnie, I've always wanted to do one, but for some reason never have. We currently decorate with porcelain bunnies and eggs through out our home. Just put them up today, I'm late, Usually I have them up a month before Easter so we can enjoy the decorations, but time has gotten the best of us lately and our winter has arrived late as well, so we've had snow, with more in the forecast tonight and over the weekend. Difficult to feel spring'ish when it's white out! I did buy a preplanted pot of spring flowers for my front door just to have some green and spring color. We live on the high dessert so it's very brown year around here. I think I will venture to Michaels over the weekend and purchase a couple spring garlands to weave down the center of my tables. Happy Easter, happy spring everyone!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Spring-Easter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page