Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Log Cabin Living, the Make Do Way!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Log Cabin Living, the Make Do Way!! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 01 2018 :  4:52:45 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to share with everyone my office make over into a little Log Cabin!! I have loved log cabins all my life and always wanted to live in one. Alas, when that dream was certain not to happen, I happened upon some photos in magazines where log cabin wallpaper had been used. It looked ver real! So, I did some research, planning and talked with a few people and settled upon my strategy. With the help of Warren, we transformed my office space into a cozy little log cabin looking room. It is inside a basic Florida ranch-stay concrete block house!! LOL!!! But inside this room, it feels like a little cabin.

All of the furniture and things you see were already in my house but now relocated to this space. Here is how it turned out>

While log cabins never had computers, the other items are vintage or primitive looking. The faux fireplace is my favorite. It consists of a mantel with a wrought iron grate holding a real wooden log stack that has an electric light system that makes it look like a real fire. It does not put out heat, but it does look and sound real. The other furniture and items were just relocated from another room to this one. See the little aprons on the bunting in the window? They were gifted to me from Farmgirl Rebecca White. They are hanging in honor of our upcoming Jubilee celebration this weekend.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - May 01 2018 :  5:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Very cozy, Winnie! I too, love the fire place! Enjoy those four walls!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 02 2018 :  01:45:45 AM  Show Profile
This is GREAT! I absolutely love it. The wallpaper looks like real logs. Love the fireplace and the curtains. All so cozy and inviting looking. Wonderful idea. I hope it will inspire others to try this.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy FarmGirl#7620
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - May 02 2018 :  1:06:19 PM  Show Profile
I love how warm and cozy you made your area Winnie. Enjoy being in it and relaxing from time to time.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  12:53:20 PM  Show Profile

Winnie...This is adorable!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  08:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, you have created an awesome alternative!

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  4:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I just LOVE this! It looks so real and with the furniture, it looks perfect! It relaxes me just looking at it. Would you please tell me more about the fireplace. I have a tiny little place in my Florida home and I want to put one in it but they are all too big. I have been looking for awhile but haven’t found any that I like that were small enough. Where did you get it, please? It looks like it may be just what I am looking for. Thanks, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  06:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you all for your sweet and kind comments on my log cabin!! Every day, when I walk into the room, I am so happy that I did the renovation! It feels quite real to me even though it is just wallpaper.

Joey, the fireplace came from an online business called Primitive Passions Furniture. Their web address is www.primitivepassions-onlinefurniture.com . Last Fall, I saw the fireplace set in a Country Sampler Magazine where there was a free shipping offer. The company makes a couple of different mantel styles. You can go online, see the measurements of each, and decide if any of them would meet the size you are looking for. You can also select several ways to paint and finish your order to fit in with your decor. These are rustic and simple pieces, which was what I wanted. If you are looking for a more finished product, they might not suit your needs. I love my little faux fireplace set up and the red distressed mantel fits the room very well. Good luck and check out this site. The people are very nice and helpful too. They are also prompt in responding to business emails requesting more information on various pieces.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  7:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, thank you. I went on the web and found the store and fell in love with not only the fireplace but also the board to go over the stove . We will be ordering soon. I really enjoyed seeing all the things they make.

Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  11:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Joey, I also purchased the board over the stove but have not used it yet. What I didn't think about was the inconvenience of taking it on and off all day when I need to access the stove. I do love the look and it makes for some extra storage space on top. I suggest you try the idea with any sort of board for a few days to see if the item is going to work for you. I think a lot has to do with how much you need to cook on the stove vs just using a microwave and oven. I have also seen them used on top of a washing machine or dryer to make items easily accessible. I have a gas stove, so the burners are elevated up from the counter level making the board stand up and stick out more. From magazines that I saw, I think the boards worked best on top of glass top stoves which are flat.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  12:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Winnie. I have a glass top stove and no counter space. So the board would work well. I never use my microwave to cook. I usually use the stove every day.so the board wouldn’t work well. Good idea to try a board for a few days to see what would work ok.

Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Log Cabin Living, the Make Do Way!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page