katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  12:05:45 PM  Show Profile
I remember when I was about 10years old,,, we lived in New Britian Conn at the time...Daddy worked in Hartford at the Recruiting Center.
Mother would take my little sister and I to the big Department store in Hartford for a day of shopping...
My 2 year old sister and I would sit on the big tuffed round seat, my little skinny legs dangling,,, watching mother find the perfect color of gloves to match her hat or handbag... after all,, a well dressed lady always wore matching hat, glove, handbag & shoes...

I saw this photo on the internet,, it reminded me of my mother, except mother had Auburn hair.
Mother sewed her's and mine and my sister's dresses,,, so there was wiggle room in the budget for her to buy her matching accents.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2681 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2681 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  6:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Grace, such lovely memories! My mother made most my clothing through grade school as well, I remember my favorite little outfit she made me was this little skirt and vest to match, was made from green and white (a floral type) printed fabric, was my favorite. Such fond memories. Love the photo you posted, so classy and feminine. The good ole days. Miss them.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 03 2018 :  10:05:18 PM  Show Profile
I would luv to be able to go back in time,,, especially now, with my mother in a Rehabilitative facility for stroke patients.
To be that little girl again watching mother as she took care to match her hats and gloves, purse and shoes...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6521 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6521 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  06:27:13 AM  Show Profile
This is a great memory, Grace, of those days in the 1950s! I too remember just how the department store looked in the Ladies dept., children's department and of course the toy department!! Getting new shoes or accessories was a special occasion. My Mom, like yours, was a master seamstress and she made most all of our clothes as well as her own. Accessories were for a season where Easter might have been the incentive to get something new to add to an outfit. Like you, I sometimes wish I could go back for just one day to relive an experience that now is lost to a completely new approach to clothing and online purchasing. Blessings to your Mom today as she works to overcome what the stroke has taken away from her. My grandmother , who lived with us, suffered several big strokes before her death. I know the toll that it takes on them and it is so sad.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  3:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Your mom must have been beautiful! I only saw ladies that looked like this in magazines. I only remember my mom in farm dresses and aprons. We did have a glamourous teacher though---she always had beautiful dresses and every thing to match. Years later I found out that she made her own clothes and that is how she afforded the accessories. I do remember that my mom had to have a matching purse and shoes when she went to town and that almost everyone wore a hat. People dressed up when they went to town back then. My father always wore a suit. I think people are too casual now. I don't understand going out in your pajamas---ha,ha.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  4:20:38 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother had 6 girls and I was the oldest grandgirl. She sewed a lot and so did my mother. I remember getting material at the local store but I also remember going into down town Philadelphia by bus, and very occasionally taking the train to New York city to go to the garmet districts to buy material and zippers, buttons, lace and trims to make all of my clothes for the next 6 months. I felt very special.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Remember... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page