Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 FINALLY .. . . camping with my hubby, 2nd time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic FINALLY .. . . camping with my hubby, 2nd time Next Topic  

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Now, we're NOT talking glamping but basic tent camping with my hubby. He grew up going camping a lot . . I did not because I grew up on a farm and, no matter the season, there was always TONS of farm work to be done.

But after we married we starting doing a lot of camping, taking our kids out. My daughter, who is now 46, LOVES to camp and she and I do go glamping together.

My hubby has been raising Longhorns, which means DAILY cow chores and DAILY irrigating the pasture chores . . .it's been 11 years since he and I have gone camping. We were able to sell or butcher the rest of our cows . . . OUT OF THE COW BUSINESS! Since the pasture was "borrowed" we don't have to irrigate anymore.

SOOOOOOO, we plan a few days camping later this week. This will be simple, pared down basic camping. Looking forward to doing this more this summer! Praying for it to not be a bad wildfire season . . . we've had a VERY DRY winter!

Heading out Thursday . . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jun 03 2018 6:17:05 PM

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  07:37:16 AM  Show Profile
So glad you are getting to go camping. I understand farm chores keeping you from doing things. We can't go do anything either because we have to be home and take care of our animals. The little cabin we built is only three tenths of a mile from the house so that we can get away but still be at home. People think that is silly but it is so peaceful and quiet up there away from the house. I like basic camping. Have lots of fun.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.-----Sherrilyn Kenyon FarmGirl#7620
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  09:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Barbara,
I'm working on putting together "Basic Camping Supplies/Equipment with Hubby" right now. I don't want to pull things out of our glamping trailer if I don't have to because I don't want to have to put things back, dig them out again . . . back and forth, if you know what I mean.
"Basic" will be just that . . . considerably different than for glamping!
Should be fun!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  06:39:55 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh, CeeJay, this sounds like a great way to celebrate retirement from cattle raising!! You two have a marvelous time and I look forward to hearing all about it!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Yippee for you guys... after all,,, "Home is where you park your trailer or tent"..

lololol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  5:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Gracie Grace
That is so funny, and so true.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  3:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, my hubby is definitely fond of "boondocking" and that's what we did. HOWEVER, he was a little over-the-top and we went too high (altitude) too early (early May)! We found a lovely spot waaaayyyyy in the woods which was quite nice, BUT as soon as the sun went down we knew it was going to be a chilly night. We nearly froze! The next day the wind came up something awful and we decided to pack it up and get out of there before 1) it snowed on us, 2)the wind destroyed our tent and/or 3) there was blow down of trees (great potential for that).
When we got home, hubby did online research on topo maps and learned that we were at 10,000 feet elevation . . . it's too early in the season to be that high here in Colorado.
But, we senior citizens survived and will be out there again in a couple of weeks. My goodness!
Another life adventure!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  5:08:11 PM  Show Profile
There is an app for that.

So glad you are safe.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  10:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Cee

ceejay---so sory about your camping trip. This is one of those this is gettin funny but ain't nobodylaughin things. I have camped like this before and it is hard, Don;t give up and contiue to persevere,

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon

Edited by - HollerGirl56 on May 13 2018 10:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  11:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Ceejay---sorry about that mess---my neighbors fourteen year old daughter stayed with me last night and she was trying to make me get off the computer---I don't know what she hit. Anyway I grew up on a mountain that was 3,600 feet above sea level and it was a nasty cold place. That is a high mountain for southern WV. I can't imagine 10,000 feet. Seems that would be chilly even in the summer. Better luck next camping trip and you pick the spot. Sounds like something my husband would do, but he would have made me stay and freeze. HA HA

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - May 15 2018 :  12:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Barbara,
It can be chilly in the summer at high altitude. The sun is also very intense at high altitude and the oxygen is thinner. My daughter grew up here but now lives in the Phoenix area. She comes here in the summer to get a lovely golden tan . . but she HAS to religiously use sunscreen. When we go camping in the mountains you take summer clothes for the daytime because it is usually warm, sunny and nice. But, you also take chilly weather clothes because once the sun goes down the temperature drops considerably. So, by dusk you'll see shorts, tanktops and flips turn into sweatpants, socks, warm shoes, longsleeve shirts and sweat shirts, sometimes hoods or caps. We just know that's what is necessary.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  6:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We got to camping the second time. Found a lovely campsite and promptly had a flat tire so that's what we did after we finished lunch and setting up our tent . . . what fun!
It was peaceful and relaxing. We hiked and rode our bikes and relaxed. It was QUITE COLD at night so we worked at staying warm. I had to get creative with covers to stay warm and had so much stuff on top of me I could hardly move.

The sad part, our sweet doggie Bramble (talked about her in a post in "Across the Fence") was not with us. She had gone home with the angels just two days before we left. We decided to go ahead and go camping anyway . . . hoping it would help start the healing process. I think that it did to some degree, but we MISSED HER SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  10:10:33 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay, I am glad you had a chance to go camping again and relax. It surely was hard not to take along your faithful fur friend and I know it felt very strange. But, Bramble loved to camp when she was well ,and it is good that you took her so that she could always be a part of your family life and be loved and cared for. Hopefully, weather will be good for more little basic camping get aways this Summer. It is good to get out and enjoy all of the natural beauty!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  02:05:15 AM  Show Profile
So glad your second camping trip was better. Of course you missed your doggie. It is like losing an old friend. I still miss every dog I have ever lost. But it gets less sad and then you just remember the funny things they did and all the good times with them. They are always with you in a way. Hope you have many more happy camp outs. I like to camp when it is chilly better than when it is hot. I like fires and lots of cover better than being too hot.

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2018 :  7:12:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ I just read where Bramble went to her heavenly home. Am so sorry. I cried alittle to know I won.t see her sweet face when she went camping.
Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls

Hugs: Heaven's Ultimate
Good Sign
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic FINALLY .. . . camping with my hubby, 2nd time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page