FortifiedByBooks
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachelle
Emeryville CA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  10:30:48 AM  Show Profile
I recently joined the Farmgirl Sisterhood and yesterday I received the most wonderful handwritten postcard from Winnie (Sister #3109) welcoming me to the Sisterhood! So, I thought it was about time for me to introduce myself.
I'm a City Farmgirl who will hopefully someday in the not too distant future be a "true" Farmgirl living within a decent drive to the nearest bookstore. I was in the Army before I wound up in Austin, TX and have never lived in one place for more than 5 years. I'm now living with my amazing boyfriend and our feline ruler (Dresden) just across the Bay from San Francisco, CA.
My favorite activities are reading, writing posts for my book blog, and crocheting, though I'm still a beginner when it comes to crocheting. I can often be found listening to a cozy mystery while practicing my stitches. After I save up a little money, my plan is to relearn how to sew by making my first apron. I also enjoy baking new-to-me recipes, such as "Second Breakfast Cake," which I found on Youtube.

Rachelle
Sister #7640
FortifiedByBooks.com

Edited by - FortifiedByBooks on May 11 2018 9:12:59 PM

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  10:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachelle. My name is Barbara and welcome to MJF. I am from West Virginia. I too love books! One is never lonely or bored when you have a good book to read. Hope you will post more about yourself. Happy reading.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachelle. Welcome to the farm. I'm from Virginia, born and raised. See ya round the farm.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  11:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rachelle, Welcome!
I too am a minion to a superior canine Diva princess named Shylo. I also live in the city for now but we are getting ready to move to our dream farm.
I love mystery cozies as well. My favorite author is Laura Childs and her tea shop mystery series.
Do you have a favorite author?
Welcome again to the sisterhood!

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

FortifiedByBooks
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachelle
Emeryville CA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  9:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Ooh! I've never read anything by Laura Childs but I'm going to have to check out the tea shop series! I have a few faves, all of which revolve around bookstores or libraries: the Scottish Bookshop series by Paige Shelton, the Library Lover's series by Jenn McKinlay, and the Booktown series by Lorna Barrett (my very first cozy).

Rachelle
Sister #7640
FortifiedByBooks.com

Edited by - FortifiedByBooks on May 11 2018 9:13:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  9:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle, I am from Minnesota but our son lives in Austin, TX. Welcome.......

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  9:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rachelle,,
Greetings from Eastern Washington... (I am a former Cal Gal as well as a Military Brat)lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  2:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Rachelle, I am so glad you joined us here at the online Chatroom!! You are among many friends here who love reading and all things books. There is a thread here about who is reading what so be sure to jump in and add your thoughts!! Keep us posted on your projects and ideas and don’t be shy to just jump in and share!!

I am delighted you enjoyed the postcard too. I love postcards and their long history. There are so many interesting photos and places that have been shared with family and friends for over 100 years.

Have a great week!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  5:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Hello Rachelle and welcome to MJF. You are not alone with being a city farmgirl, as I live in a busy city in Southern California. I have been gardening in my front yard for many years, but in the recent years have been learning (thanks to MJF) about canning, dehydrating and fermenting. My hope is to retire in a few years and move out of the city to a few acre property. I hope you love MJF as much as I do, everyone is so helpful here.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  8:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachelle,
Welcome from the Pacific NW. I'm a city girl/gal originally from So. Calif. I do enjoy making jam, planting a small garden, some sewing project and decoupage with old magazine ads is my favorite passion. It relaxes me after work.

Janice Ferguson Vintage Artist

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1751 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1751 Posts

Posted - May 15 2018 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Iowa.Would love your recipe for second breakfast cake. Am a bookworm my self and am always into several books at a time.Also love booktapes and right now into The Great Alone. Excellent.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

FortifiedByBooks
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachelle
Emeryville CA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 15 2018 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Marlene, I got the recipe for Second Breakfast Cake from this youtube video: https://youtu.be/oQnge18UZPM I ended up trying it on Sunday, and while it was very tasty, the blackberries didn't really sink into the cake like they were supposed to do. My plan is to rewatch the video and see if I somehow missed something.

Rachelle
Sister #7640
FortifiedByBooks.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  1:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the Sisterhood, Rachelle! I'm so happy to have you join us. I love to crochet as well. I learned how to crochet 3 years ago when I joined the Sisterhood and have been enjoying it since. I would love to see some of your projects sometime.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

FortifiedByBooks
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachelle
Emeryville CA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  11:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Krista, I'm so new at crocheting that the only projects I have are making small blankets for my cat by doing row after row of whatever new stitch I'm learning. In fact, I've only finished one blanket so far, all in single crochet. I would be further along, but my first attempt turned into a triangle instead of a rectangle because I kept missing stitches and didn't realize what was happening until I was about halfway through a skein of yarn *sigh*. I'm currently just a little bit into a 2nd blanket of double crochet, and I've been told that it will go much faster. I want to get so good at the basics that it's easy to learn the more complicated stuff when I get to the point where I want to move on to something bigger.

Rachelle
Sister #7640
FortifiedByBooks.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile
You will get it Rachelle! Once I had the basic stitches down projects seemed much easier and quicker. And then the newer stitches weren't so complicated either. Keep practicing. I bet your cat will love her blankets!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

aidanm
Chapter Leader

25 Posts

Aidan
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  2:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello Rachelle,
I am a recent member too, as well as a city farmgirl in California! I'm also a book lover so we have a lot in common!! I am definitely going to check out your book blog.

So nice to meet you,
Aidan

Aidan Murphy
Go to Top of Page

mrssarahhall
True Blue Farmgirl

1259 Posts

Sarah
Longmont Colorado
USA
1259 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  5:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachelle, Welcome! I am an avid reader and crocheter too, it sounds like we have some stuff in common. :) I am hosting a "bookworm swap" over on the swap forum and thought you might be interested in checking it out. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Sarah
Farmgirl # 5223

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

All good things are wild and free- Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page