HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  11:08:52 AM  Show Profile
I canned and dried so many tomatoes last year that I haven't even used a third of them. My husband insists that we are planting forty plants again this year. Any ideas on things that use lots of tomatoes so that I can use these up and feel like canning and drying more this summer?

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  11:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Spaghetti, pizza, and chili sauces.

One of my all time favorite dishes is large elbow macaroni and tomatoes. Canned tomatoes are also good cooked with green beans.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Sara---somebody told me I should open some of these and use Mrs. Wages mixes and re-can them. Is this what you mean and would this work well in your opinion.? my mom also made macaroni and tomatoes and it was so good---I had about forgot about that.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  2:48:23 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about re-canning tomatoes. Tomato sauce may work. I yield to more experienced canners to settle that question.

I was thinking of making the sauces for suppers. I wonder if you could freeze the sauces.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  2:57:24 PM  Show Profile
I think you are right I will make sauces in the crockpot and freeze them for easy summer suppers. Thanks. That would be easy and better than the tomatoes growing old in jars.

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  4:06:13 PM  Show Profile
My local food bank accepts canned goods. I have done this for years. I also just can't quite growing tomatoes. I also will take a few to the farmers market.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  4:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Homemade tomato soup. Butter, onion and tomatoes simmered until the onion falls apart, puree and add a bit of cream or milk, if desired. Salt to taste.
By the way, minus the puree and cream, this is the sauce that is recommended by the famous Italian chef Marcella Hazan, whose book, "The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" is my absolute favorite. The recipe calls for 2 cups canned tomatoes with their juice (of course she recommends Italian plum or San Marzanos), 5 Tbl butter, 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half.
Place all in saucepan, with a bit of salt, and cook uncovered at a low simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally while cooking, and mash any tomato pieces that need it to create more of a sauce. Discard the onion, and enjoy over pasta. She describes this as the "purest of all sauces", it has such a gorgeous, simple tomato flavor. I heard about this years ago, and it is my favorite.
I know, no garlic!! Who would have though that?
Anyway, Barbara, good luck with your surplus.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  06:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for these great suggestions. It truly did help. I called a friend of mine who dearly loves canned tomatoes and she has used hers up---she will take twelve quarts. I never thought about giving them to someone. I am going to try the soup with a turkey casserole I am making today. Sounds so good. I've had a fear of making tomato soup since home ec class. My friend and I made tomato soup and everyone hated it. We also had to make iced tea that day and we forgot to put in sugar. Talk about being humiliated---LOL. But that was forty years ago---time to move on and try that soup again.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic too many tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page