YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  06:35:24 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would start a conversation on our random thoughts.

This morning I'm thinking about how I take the good things in my life for granted. Like my front porch, side porch (former carport) and deck. All great spaces to sit and relax at different times of the day but (there always seems to be a but) I let days go by without enjoying them. Why? Because they are there and will be there. When something is a constant in my life like my outside sitting areas I tend to put them off by saying I'll sit out there later but days pass and later never comes.

What are you thinking about today?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 21 2018 06:36:23 AM

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  12:27:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking that I am so happy to be home today after being gone to help a friend for two days. How nice to be home and working with my flowers. I'm thinking I am happy for my wonderful husband, my dear animal friends, and I'm thinking how lucky I am to be here in my little private holler enjoying the beauty of nature every day. I'm thinking how beautiful the sound of the creek is and how beautiful spring is. I'm also thinking thank goodness my husband is home today and he is cooking supper tonight so that I can pot my plants. I'm thinking life is good---enjoy every day as if it were your last.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  06:34:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I love this idea! Let me add my same thoughts on how much I love my little outside porch area but don't get out there enough lately. I can see if from my kitchen area and I say to myself, I need to go out and do something outside. But like you, I find other distractions indoors. I keep asking myself, why I keep doing this, but all of my answers are just lame excuses. Lame!

Lately, I have been thinking about how I always read about and have a list of ideas that I want to try, and then doing them seems to never happen. There isn't any reason why I can't make them happen. Lately, I am wondering if I don't feel the same need to be on task like I did all of my working years. When I worked, time was so limited that I used my free time more effectively and productively. Now that I am retired, I have more free time and it seems like I get fewer of my project wish list completed. Discipline! My inner drive of discipline is not as sharp because I have the perception that I have so much time. In actuality, who knows how much time one has? And we all know that dreams and ideas don't just happen on their own. We have to work at it and put some skin in the game!!

What nags you lately? Anyone like me around? Maybe we need to light a fire under each other!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  06:51:45 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
I feel a lot like that since dad passed. I have all this time on my hands to do_____ fill in the blank, but I don't seem to do much anymore. I've hit a time where I am getting rid of things and trying to unclutter life as well but other than that, I don't get out and do. I don't have anyone here during days so my time is my own. Unfortunately I do not discipline myself to do things like I once did. I need a fire lit! This has been on my mind a lot lately.

The porch calls to me but the weather here has not been cooperative and when it is there always seems there are indoor things I think of to get done.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  07:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Now that I am retired I too take time for granted but when I look back on the week or months time is going by so much faster than when I was younger.

Each day I do try to do something I enjoy and not just chores that have to be done. Last evening Annie and I sat out on the side porch. Well I sat and she stretched out on the ground gnawing on a rawhide roll that was left out in the rain. The dirtier the better she likes it. I thought about what I had written about not enjoying my porches and told myself I should do it more often - the TV show or the dishes could wait for another time - the porch would no longer have to wait.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile
People---what is all this talk about porches? All I know is that my husband built decks around all this house --- even a balcony and I am thinking why do I have to stain all this when he has a sprayer? Life do get tedious

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile
I am dog sitting for my brother-in-law's dogs in Florida. I am thinking why people want to live here? It is cloudy and humid. I miss Kentucky and can't wait to get back. I have a baby quilt to finish, wine to bottle, and a garden to put in. In the evening we sit on the front porch, wave a cars going by and see the fireflies.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Audra, I grew up in Virginia but live here in Florida. Now you know why I go nuts every year come September and do all the apple festival activities here at MJF and host a swap!! LOL!! By September, I am steady whining about the heat and humidity and anxious to participate in Fall activities!! LOL!! As I type this, we are having yet another rain deluge today. sigh. This has been going on for 10 days now with no change in sight. When you get home to Kentucky, kiss the ground!! Where are you in Florida? I am in Gainesville in the northern part of the state.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  4:58:18 PM  Show Profile
I agree---I have been to Florida and I did not like it. Also the same way as out west===when I got home I could smell the hills and how I loved it. All the states were so beautiful and I understand all who love their state. but I sure do love these old WV hills. Especially that I own 172 acres of them.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  5:10:52 PM  Show Profile
I hear you all - this time of year I start dreaming and planning for the fall - I survive Texas summers but can't say I like them but speaking the truth I wouldn't live any where else. I was born a Texan, grew of age as a Texan, and will ...let's skip that part.

Annie and I just came in from sitting on the side porch. Yes I must do more porch sitting it's good for the soul and now that Annie is used to being tethered to a spike in the ground she likes it too. She has 30ft of line to explore and likes munching on ice from my ice water. Life is good in my Little Eden.

Got to tell you I saw my first cotton tail rabbit in Paris this morning. Good to see the little critter.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 22 2018 :  6:10:21 PM  Show Profile
So glad to meet all of you sweeet farmgirls Sara--some times I think that most folks you know aren't worth knowing .That most people you meet aren't worth meeting and that most things that happen to you aren't worth living through lol. Happy beauiful days in Texas

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  04:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Lived in different places in the US and I have to say There were some we loved,

Virginia being at the top of the list and disliked some, Hawaii and Florida. Though the weather was gorgeous most of the time we lived too far from family. Though we lived near family in Florida I couldn't take the heat and humidity. We enjoy where are and love my porch. Barbara, it's great to have you here!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 23 2018 04:31:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  7:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Af

Edited by - Joey on May 23 2018 7:29:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  7:28:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Joey

After WAY too many years in Philadelphia, with the noise and traffic and snow and endless cloudy days, we moved to Gulf Coast Florida and LOVE it here. It was humid in Philly too and all the tall buildings held the heat, I think. Here I am either in the pool or at our 3 mile beach. We are in an area that does not get the Spring Breakers and so most of the year we have very little traffic (NONE, compared to Philly.) Because we are so close to the beach we usually have a sea breeze. I live in flip-flops and sunshine, very fresh seafood, and live a slower life style. I am SO happy here. My DH and I travelled the country for 5 years and enjoyed every minute of it. There is SO much diverse beauty in this great country and we are large enough that everyone can find an area and weather to suit us all.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  8:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I'm in Okeechobee until Sunday. My sweetie can't wait for me to get home.
Sara, I've always envied folks who were rooted in their hometown & had family nearby. My dad was in Montgomery Ward so we moved whenever they closed a store.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  9:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Jory---after living through the longest winter of my life and my old bones aching so bad---I think I wouldn't mind a little bit of Florida. Just no gators---PLEASE!!!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  02:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Been up since 4:00a.m. some mornings are like that. The other night I woke up at 1:00a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and turned on the TV. TCM was running back to back Miss Marple movies with Margaret Rutherford as Jane. She's my favorite actress to play her so I watched two movies and went back to bed at 5:00a.m. skipping the last one. Got up at 9:00a.m.

There are some perks to living alone and rummaging around in the middle of the night without someone asking what's wrong is one of them.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  07:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, you are several house south of where I am or I would try and get down there to visit!!

Sara, I love the older Miss Jane Marple movies too! The other night we watched one and it was delightful.

Today, my random thoughts are about the upcoming Memorial Day celebration. Originally started in 1886 to honor the lives lost from wars .http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/recon/jb_recon_memorial_1.html , I found this link that tells the history . Of course today , the holiday encompasses the losses of all the wars up to and including the current deployment areas. When we look back at the huge number of American lives lost, it is staggering. We must do more for diplomacy and World Peace. Families have lost loved ones, and continue to lose loved ones every day due to wars around this globe. This weekend, I put out our my American Flag to remind myself that peace and democracy have come at a huge cost and we must work harder to find new ways to get along in this world. We owe it to our nation and others to lead the way in Peace efforts.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  10:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---I have faced the fact that I have gotten old and slow and there is never going to be another fire lit under me I hate housework so much it bores me to tears. Rather be outside drinking tea with my animals. Great day for me---potting plants and admiring my wisteria. The dogs are passed out in the grass helping me. Happy days.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  11:02:43 AM  Show Profile
Barbara love your take on life. Grocery shopped this morning so am resting and eating cherries. Forgot to mention the glass of Merlot.

Growing old or as I like to say "thankful to still be around". I am slower than I used to be and things that seemed important at 40 -50 even 60 don't seem to be these days. My only advice for the younger crowd is to not sweat the small stuff and trust in the Lord. It's the Lord that's gotten me this far and He will be the one to see me home.

I was in the check out line at the grocery store and a young man in a the grocery store shirt was behind me with just a dab of groceries so I let him go ahead of me. We talked and he remembered me from slicing my bread in the bakery. It's always good to be remembered and especially if they remember in a good way. A good reason to always treat others as we want to be treated because no telling when you will meet them again.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  2:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Just popped in for a drink of water and thought I'd check if anyone has had any more thoughts. I agee with you that we need to be kind to everyone we meet. Especially in stores. My husband has always worked in retail and it is such a hard job. Most peple are nice but the hateful ones can ruin a workers day, I always thank my check out people and let them know I value their help. They have low pay and bad hours. I have always been such a kind trusting person and I have learned the hard way that you can't trust a lot of people. All we can do is be kind and honest ourselves and as you say always have faith in God, I sure do.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  3:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie---my horrible sense of humor has hit again. Your comment was so good and true. You are right, but it made me think of that old Hank Williams song " I Saw The Light". When Minnie Pearl said he turned to her and said "That's just it Minnie---there ain't no light". Well that's just it Winnie there ain't no peace. Being silly of course---how we would all love peace in this world. All we can do is be good to others in every way that we can.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  4:58:56 PM  Show Profile
I retired a few months back and today when talking to my husband, he had to bring me up to date. I thought today was Tuesday and here it's Thursday. I find myself slipping on current dates now, being a nurse I had an elderly lady tell me she did not know what the date was and she did not care, so don't bother asking. I find myself busy with projects and such I often wonder how did I find time to work.
Born and raised on a farm in west central Indiana. My dad called it the prairie, being so flat. Moved to Fl. when I was 46. Loved the weather, birds and the work, hated everything else. Missed seasons, county fairs, and fall festivals. Moved to eastern Oklahoma in the foot hills of the Ozark Mountains. So loved the area and the people.
Then 5 years later back to Fl., enjoying it a lot better, I am naturally cold always have been, so I don't mind the heat for the most part. Hate the fire ants. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - May 27 2018 :  5:22:53 PM  Show Profile
There's no place like home!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  06:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Today, I am thinking about the arrival of Florida's first Tropical Storm of 2018. While we over here in north central Florida are only getting waves of showers, this storm is the grim reminder that Hurricane season begins on Friday and it is anyone's guess as to what will play out. Last year's hit by Hurricane Irma left us without power for a week and a city of filled tree debris that took months to get cleaned up. And we got off easy!! Personally, I would like to skip over to mid October when usually the worst of the threat is past. Mind you, some of the worst Hurricanes came in October and early November, but the peak season for the most storms in August through September. anyone ready to talk about apples and pumpkins?? LOL!! I am Summer weary and we're just getting started! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  07:14:50 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, summer weary is right. 100+ in our forecast. Dreaming of fall and all the beautiful fall colors and cooler less humid days.

In the meantime it's daily watering for some plants; every other day for others; and weekly for a few. Now to remember whose who. From now on through the heat I will water early before daylight or after the sun goes down. There's something about those times of day that not only are they cooler but they are peaceful. Didn't the Lord walk through the Garden of Eden in the cool of the evening. I believe we started in a garden and for me life is good in my gardens.

Annie and I sat out on the side porch for a while this morning. Gotta sit earlier if I want to catch a cool breeze. Doesn't take long for the mornings to heat up now. I do believe summer's were made so we would appreciate and long for the fall.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random Thoughts Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page