YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  07:43:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Linda I didn't care for the Young Hyacinth and didn't watch it. Dearly love As Time Goes By. Watched it so many times I know some of the lines by heart. Another favorite that comes back from time to time is Last of the Summer Wine.

Along with British comedies I like most of their mysteries. The ones with heavy accents I have to skip - can't understand a word they say. They would probably think the same thing about my country Texas drawl.

Barbara, British comedies are alive and well in Texas. They have been rerunning Keeping up Appearances and As Time Goes by since 2000 - maybe even before then but that's when I started watching.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  02:33:03 AM  Show Profile
These are two British comedys that I have never seen, But I have thought of buying them. Are they really good? Today I am thinking about people who are struggling to make ends meet. My husband works with people who have to work two jobs just to make ends meet. We struggle at times too. We went to till up a garden for one of his friends and she told me that she had to shut off her heat all winter because she couldn't pay the heating bill. She had to wear a coat in the house and even sleep in her coat. It seems so unfair that the heads of companies get paid so much and they don't want to pay their workers. And they also cut their hours. My husband works for a very well known store and they certainly do not have to be so greedy. I guess that is the way of the world. I told his friend that if we didn't heat with wood we would probably have to freeze too. It is sad that in a nation of plenty it is getting harder and harder to make a decent living.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  03:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I highly recommend both. As Time Goes By is about two young lovers who are separated by the Korean war only to reunite years later. It's starts when they meet again and their life together afterwards. Last of the Summer Wine is about senior citizens who live in a village and the antics they get up to.

Here in Texas utilities won't cut your power during extreme cold or heat. And they work with people with financial needs. I understand Texas maybe different because we are a energy free state which means all our energy comes from in state. Texas does sell energy to New Mexico - maybe other surrounding states. Our power comes from natural gas; water; wind; some coal.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  11:54:23 AM  Show Profile
These British series are new to me but I am going to look them up. I just love British Mystery shows as well as Masterpiece specials.

A random thought I had today was about how life was changed dramatically with WWI. We were watching the series on PBS called American Experience the past two nights that covered America before, during, and after WWI. It was called the Great War because nobody had ever experienced such a widespread global challenge. The losses were immense and Americans resisted sending troops until the German submarines sunk vital US ships and a passenger liner 1918. Specifically, I was looking up the huge efforts of women to join in the efforts to support the troops in two vital ways; domestically and manufacturing of weapons. On the domestic side, the US was sending grain and food to Belgium which was walled off by the Germans by both land and sea. All the men had gone to war and women were left trying to provide food for themselves, the troops, and neighbors. There are photos in the Gold Medal Flour Museum in Minneapolis, MN of women trying to pull plows in Belgium to plant wheat. Gold Medal began shipping flour to Europe, as authorized by President Woodrow Wilson, as part of the US effort to support those countries attacked from starvation. The problem was that many merchant ships were sunk before they ever arrived with desperately needed supplies. It was at this time at Gold Medal the women became employees because of the growing domestic use of bagged flour purchased at grocery stores.

Here at home, women formed groups under the Red Cross to Knit wool socks and vests for the men in the trenches in Europe. Boots were not waterproof and trench foot was a huge problem and cause of amputation due to infection and gangrene. They also packaged up bandages to send to the field hospitals in Europe as there were many many wounded men every day. American women also rose to the challenge of helping with farming by joining the Women's Land Army . Many young women were eager to do their part and helped harvest crops, plant, and support farms who had lost their men to war. There were also women' groups that put together clever ways to make nutritious food at home with fewer ingredients as much food was need to send overseas to support our fighting men. It occurs to me that America would have suffered a great deal more at home if women had not risen to the challenge and created new ways of cooking, working outside of the home in factories , and took on serious farming support. These women, I believe, showed that true Farmgirl at Heart spirit and used their ingenuity, creativity and hard work to keep the home fires burning. This part of history is such an inspiration to me!!

Did you know that Daylight Savings time was started in 1918 to support the war effort?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  12:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Great bit of history Winnie, Thanks, I have known of some of the war efforts done here at home, but I always find it heart warming to hear of others. What a time in our history on how everyone pulled together, men, women and even children.
I keep thinking of the whisper that comes to me mostly when I am trying to watch what I eat and lose a few pounds. It seems to always start low and continues to get louder towards the evening. If I continue to ignore it by 7-8 p.m. it comes in as the Tasmanian devil yelling candy, soda, chips, popcorn. Some day I'm going to a muzzle on it or me. LOL
I also am thankful to Mary Jane for believing in her dream and making it real for every farm girl. I love reading the post and what great ideas I have found here from my farm girl sisters sharing.
Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  12:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Just one more thought. Winnie you brought up a good question I have been asking myself often lately. When I was working I seemed to get so much done. Now I am retired all the projects I planned to do, well they are still waiting. You are so right about falling into routine. I need to kick start myself to get after things. Karla

FGOM March 2018

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  2:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Sara---I took your advice and ordered As Time Goes By. It was a great price. Last Of the Summer wine is rather expensive, so I'll wait on that. Thanks for mentioning these to me---I have always heard of them but never got them. One of our favorites is Are You Being Served? Have you seen that one? My last thought today is that I am dreading starting four months of jury duty on the 12th---but maybe it will be a good experience.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  2:21:39 PM  Show Profile
I just came across this thread and am loving all your thoughts about porches. We had a new porch built to replace our rotting one. It was finished about 2 months ago and I'm really pleased with it. Railings are stained dark brown to match the house trim and light wood floor and steps. I had a 4-H meeting at my house on Saturday afternoon after I had gardened all morning. We wet felted for about 2 and 1/2 hours and then I really needed to sit down. I suddenly thought why don't I sit out on the porch and realized it had been built for 2 months and I had never yet sat out there. I dragged out my rocking chair, my book and a big mug of tea. It was so relaxing and restful and I so much appreciated having a lovely deck to sit on, but it is funny how you can just be so busy doing that you don't pause to enjoy what has been done or what you have.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  09:37:16 AM  Show Profile
I love to sit on the front porch and read, or just sit and watch birds, squrrels, or the goats next door. Alot of time I just sit and enjoy the day.
I just finished "Before We Were Yours". It is based around true events that took place with the Tennessee Children's Home Society, in the early 1920's to 1950. My thoughts keep going to not why but how was this able to go on for so long.
Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  5:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Winnie~ I am with you on the list and not doing things because I figure I may do them eventually. I was way better about getting things accomplished when I was working.

My son Jbear, nickname, and I love to watch "Keeping Up Appearances" I bought the set and we are always quoting something from there. Our favorite has got to be her white slimline phone. I just know he is going to buy me one as a gag gift someday.
But you know even though she does what she does she still doesn't wait for those whispers does she?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  04:03:41 AM  Show Profile
My favorite British shows are The Good Neighbors, which is about a couple who ditch their jobs and become self-sufficient in their suburban home. Although it is funny, it shows the hard parts of farming life too. The other show I like is Red Dwarf, a science fiction show.
My husband left to help his mom move up here on Sunday, and I've had the most relaxing time without him here! I get my list of stuff done and the tv off. The only downside is that I'm not used to exploratory driving, so I haven't wandered around much.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  3:04:56 PM  Show Profile
We love The Good Neighbors too. We watched it when we were in our early twenties because a friend told us about it and that it reminded her of us---and we were like that as beginning hobby farmers. Still a bit like that I'm afraid. We also watched To The Manor Born and Sorry. I think Sorry is my all time favorite. We also LOVE Absolutely Fabulous. I also have several lesser known ones. That is usually a Christmas gift for us---a new British comedy. And ladies I was wrong---I can get a fire lit under me. My husbands old high school friend called and said he is coming in a couple of weeks to visit and spend the night. We never have company so I will have much cleaning to do. My old bones will be moving now for sure. Sara---where are you??? We need a new random thought from you as this was your idea. Today I am worried about medicare and social security going broke just as hubby and I will need it. I read a right scary article about it. Good thing I am a semi-prepper. HA HA and yet not HA HA. Life do get tedious. I'm going to cook out on the porch and watch TV out there with hubby when he gets back from his bike ride. Do any of you have a TV on your porch? It's great fun and the donkey can hear and enjoy too.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  3:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Barbara I'm been here reading but not posting. Dealt with MS fog for a couple of days and when it hits I can't focus to write. Moving on we're having a raging thunderstorm so that has helped to lift the fog.

Your wish is my command - new random thought - must confess I don't have one - I could think on it and come up with one but that's not a true random thought - random thoughts come to us un-announced - they're just there for us to muse on or to discard. So I'm throwing the new random thought into your court or anyone else who has one running through their head and want to share to spark a conversation.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  3:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Sara---my cousin in Ohio has MS and I understand totally. We talk sometimes and sometimes when I call she is to tired to answer. She is 56 and afraid she won't get to age--but you are proof that you can. God bless you and I will tell her about you. Give us a thought as soon as you can. Love to hear what you are doing.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  03:57:32 AM  Show Profile
This morning my random thought is about strange friends because I am going up to help mine. My friend is a 61 year old man that I have known since second grade and he is a millionaire while I am a mere holler dweller. At times he even drives his big white Cadillac down in here to visit. I helped his mom for several years and we were good friends. He was a huge mammas baby so when she died he latched on to me and now I am his mommy---no joke. He won't do anything for himself so I go once a week and take care of him. I do laundry and I have to put belts in all his jeans for him, I comb his hair and other strange things that his mom did for him. I have to organize stuff for him and then he calls all week asking me where things are at. A royal pain. Then I have people asking me how I stand all this and I have to explain the second grade thing and that I have known him so long that I understand the weirdness. Do any of you have strange weird friends that you love them and don't know why? Sometimes I ask myself why I only meet strange people. I always say that I am a freak magnet. When I go shopping I am sure to meet a wierdo that wants to talk. But I do talk to them and try to act like they are normal so maybe that is why I am a freak magnet..

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  05:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Can't say I have weird friends though some are interesting people who do interesting things. As far as people talking to me while shopping I have that quite often. I find most of them are friendly and a few are lonely and I may the only person who talks to them that day.

Now for your friend who wants you to do mommy things for him I find it sad that a grown man can't function without a mother figure in his life. That's all I have to say on that subject because I am not a professional and I think he needs to see one.

One more thought on strangers talking to me, A week or so ago I was in the bank and while waiting on the teller to finish my transaction I turned around to see who was waiting in line. It was a tall good looking 40 something man in starched jeans, white western shirt, and white cowboy hat. Before I could stop the words coming out my mouth I said "it's always good to see a man in a hat". He grinned and kept the conversation going. He's a rancher and loves being one. Must say it did make me feel good for a young man to talk with me and the fact he was a real life cowboy didn't hurt either. It was a good thing because older women are too often invisible to younger people.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile
Sara---that is so true about younger people talking to you---one day when I was shopping and had on one of my weird outfits a teenage boy came up to me and said "You Rock' and can I hug you. So I held on to my purse and prepared to be stabbed or something---but he really did want to hug me. I agree ----nice to be noticed by younger people---but Sara that means we must be rockin it. As the old country song says --I ain't ever growin old if I keep on rollin with the flow. Yes---my friend needs help but so many people cater to him because he is rich. And I can't get away from him because he went into Sam's Club when I quit once asking my husband about me and they threw him out of the store. Sara ---he is such a mess and so rich and so spoiled that I just have to keep helping him. I think he has about twelve people at his beck and call. Sick---I agree---but money talks.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  06:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Barbara life is about choices so this is one you will have to make. Either embrace the idea of enabling him whole heartily and make peace with yourself about it or find the grit to stop it. I'm for doing whatever it takes to have and maintain peace in my life. Often to have peace I have had to let people who live in chaos go or distance myself from un-healthy situations.

Now on a lighter side - when birds sing what are they thinking about in their wee bird brains? Not thinking like you and me do but in nature's way. Whatever nature's way is.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  07:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Sara===I so agree. Life is so peaceful on this old farm and I hear the birds and hear the sound of the creek.. We live in such a special place--we go through a tunnel under the interstate and go one and one half miles down a diet road. We can still see trucks on the interstate from or house in a gap in the hill. we are so close to things and yet so hidden. I go out on the porch and watch the squirrels and birds every morning. And you are right about my friend---but if I am your friend I never give up on you and I am a forever friend. So mammas boy lucked out with me---LOL.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  6:49:02 PM  Show Profile
I was out digging a place to plant some ferns around an old oak tree, and I dug up this rock, just an ordinary looking rock, and I this thought came to me, what if I was the first person to ever touch this rock. The millions of years it took to form this rock, left untouched by humans until me. How cool is that. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  8:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Karla what a wonderful and profound random thought. I love it. Chances are you are the first person to touch it. Life is full of wonders if we are open to them.

Karla I like your signature. My sister has a saying about dusting. "I don't mind if you write in my dust just don't date it."

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  2:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever wondered when passing a house that caught your attention about the people who live there? I do.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  6:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have often done this Sara. So many favorite old farmhouses I long to go in and say hello. My one all time favorite house was while I lived in town while in college. A beautiful old two story. And one day as I was passing by I saw a lovely older lady sitting by her window and drinking from a teacup. That is one of my best memories. I had bad luck yesterday. On my way out of here I swerved to avoid a deer and my truck slid over the hill. Lucky for me it got stopped by a tree or I would have slid plumb down to the creek. Had to get two wreckers to get it up. Holler life is fun but it is truly hard. How many times I have had people tell me what a strong woman I am ---sometimes I am not so sure about that.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  4:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Karla---I have often felt the way you did about the rock. When I hear the creek rolling by I sometimes think---my family here in the 1800's heard this same creek and saw these same rocks. Somethings are eternal and we are so fleeting---so yes I understand. But as Charlie Rich says ---"Got to keep on rollin with the flow---LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  06:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Karla, I frequently wonder about the history of all sorts of old things, including family heirlooms, antiques, photos, and natural places. It is always the stories that catch my attention. Details like who was doing what, when this was first made. I frequently think about that with vintage items in my kitchen. Who actually first owned them? Where did they live and what kind of lifestyle did they have? What did they make for meals during a week? On a rare occasion, we actually have something from a Grandmother and remember her using the item: like an apron, mixing bowl, or rolling pin.

I have a question today for readers based on a discussion Sara and I were having earlier this past week on email. What traditions do you remember about "rules" for what to wear after Labor Day? I distinctly remember that white clothing and white shoes or sandals were put away until AFTER Memorial Day the next year. Growing up, school always started the day after Labor Day and that was when we began wearing darker plaids, navy sweaters for cooler mornings and shoes like saddle oxfords with bobby socks or knee socks. I grew up in Charlottesville, Va. and back then, the weather seemed to always start to cool down as soon as the calendar turned to September. What about you and the area where you grew up as a child?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random Thoughts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page