YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  05:41:48 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, like you I have learnt from other women by watching how they handle their problems. The ones that are positive and choose to have peace are the ones I like to be around. When I can I distance myself from those that never have anything good to say and thrive on chaos and woe is me attitudes.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  4:16:31 PM  Show Profile
I have very similar approaches to each day too. My Mother always told me that life is what you make it. You can choose to be positive and look for the good, or you can allow yourself to be dissatisfied with your choices and blessings. It is easy to feel down sometimes, but I do try and remind myself that I have had many blessings in my life and that I should not waste a perfectly good day with self pity or full of negative thoughts. I think it helps to always try and be kind too. That means kind to others and kind to yourself!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  4:26:43 PM  Show Profile
I saw this quote and it made me laugh: "Sometimes you are the dog and sometimes you are the tree"
In other words, good days, bad days.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Lisa - I got the picture - short & to the point.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  08:25:56 AM  Show Profile
I had a patient I took care of for a few years, anyway she was 28 at the time. She was a 21 year old single girl who went to a party, got drunk and fell off a 2 story balcony, paralyzed waist down, lost use of her hands also. She always told me that that fall saved her life, she had been using drugs, drinking and partying all the time.
She inspired me every time I was with her. She pulled herself up from a bad situation and learned how to live on her own, go to school and work. The cool part was she figured out how to make her hands work for her with little tricks, I was always amazed watching her putting on eye liner and mascara, here I got good use of my fingers and hands and could not do as good as her. I think of her often, she is a positive survivor. Boy did I learn from her. She is a true example of, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
She went on and met a super great guy, and married. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.

Edited by - hoosiercountry on Jul 20 2018 08:33:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2018 :  06:31:46 AM  Show Profile
I don't think I would have the courage to go on like this girl did. What a brave soul. I would not want to live like that as I love to be out working and doing things. I might---one never knows how they would react. A new random thought just hit me yesterday as I was cleaning out drawers and found an old picture from the 80's. It was a pic of my sister and I and my little niece at the state fair. I looked at it and it seemed like it wasn't me and that times were never like that. My sister and I have been estranged for five years and my niece died in a car wreck in 1992. Have any of you ever looked at a picture and felt like it wasn't you and that you can barely remember those days?

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2018 :  06:51:23 AM  Show Profile
Karla, I believe when I am blessed to meet such a woman as you wrote about that the Lord arranged it so I would learn from her. I have MS but it's manageable. I met a woman who was 54 at the time and also has MS. She was paralyzed from her waist down and her bladder had been removed. At 54 she was in a nursing home because her husband divorced her and there was no one to care for her. Her spirits were high and when I visited her she never complained and always was smiling and friendly to everyone. I think of her often when the daily dealing with MS starts to get me down. I remind myself I am up and walking in my own home and I can still garden.

Barbara I have looked at old pictures of myself and either wondered whatever happened to that young girl and her dreams or am so thankful for how far she has come.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  4:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Today nagging questions have been running through my mind. What do I do when I don't have the answers and never will? How to hang on to my peace without the answer? The only answer I have come up with is the Lord knows the answer and the why; and that is good enough for me. Peace comes when I acknowledge I don't have to have all the answers and to be in control all the time.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  8:17:24 PM  Show Profile
Sara---I have learned to be still and let that small voice deep in your soul tell you the answer and I do believe that voice is God talking to us. Let go and let God as the saying goes. We don't have the answers and the why. Sometimes I sing the song when I walk that goes---Further along Lord we'll know all about it and further along Lord we'll understand why. It is the only thing that brings me peace and I will never understand all the bad that has happened to me---but it has made me the person I am today. The old me was a simpleton and a ninny. I am still learning to know the new me---more cynical and jaded and a lot less trusting. I met a lot of evil people being trusting and good. Trust in yourself Sara and God will tell you the rest. I went through a living hell for a few years and the Lord has set me free---the truth will set you free. Trust in God and hear his voice and his answer and then be strong and carry on.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  4:15:47 PM  Show Profile
My random thought this evening was when I went out and fed my hummingbirds---I thought

My random thought today was when I went out to feed the hummingbirds this evening---I thought "Stay a little longer sweet summer". Even though I can feel you girls who need relief from the heat and I am kinda sick of heat and bugs---I still love it. Because I can feel my legs aching as I walk the dogs and do my chores in the snow. To me fall means winter and being cold. But I am glad for you all that will be rid of the heat.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  05:58:34 AM  Show Profile
Barbara you are so right the seasons mean different things to each of us depending on what the weather is and what our chores outside are. I'm a cool weather person and I love the crispness of fall and the dark days of long shadows in the winter. But, and it's a big but, I don't like ice storms that break tree limbs and power lines leaving me without power for days. My corner of Texas will more likely have ice than snow.

Just one more thought on fall - it seems to be springing up all over the Farm. To me fall is as much a feeling as a season. To me summer is hot, dry, and oppressive leaving the body and mind fatigued and drained. Fall offers the promise of coolness, revival, and hope and of course pumpkins.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 07 2018 05:59:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  07:35:44 AM  Show Profile
My random thought came as we were riding our motorcycle across Indiana, Iowa, and South Dakota and we passed remote farms: do the ladies there have a good life? Are they downwind of the pigs? What do they do for enjoyment?

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  07:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, I do hope they are happy and surrounded by sweet smells and full pantries. I too wonder about life in houses as I pass by. Some houses seem to be happy while others sad. Each has a story just waiting to be told.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  11:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, I have also had those houghts when passing by new places where I have never been. The unknown is just another reason, I believe, that we should be kind to everyone, smile freely, and be willing to listen if someone just needs to talk. We never know when someone is hurting or scared , or maybe just having a rough patch with a chronic illness or maybe experiencing a loss. I think the world needs more kindness and smiles these days!!! We would all be better off if that happened.

Sara, I think you said it well that Fall is as much a feeling as an aciual change in weather. For some , it means negative memories of long cold Winter. But for many, Fall coincides with a new school year, a new energy that comes with a change of seasons, and memories of warm pretty days, tailgating with friends for football games, colorful mums and pumpkins, and fall festivals. I think the change in heat and shorter days inspire me to make favorites like chili with cornbread, pot roast , and of course APPLE PIE!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Autumn for me is the smell of chalk dust, dry leaves, and when I can make toasted oatmeal cookies. I plan to celebrate on Sept. 2, when we moved into our Kentucky home.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  07:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, I can't believe it's been a year since I started reading about your adventures of finding, remodeling, and living in your Kentucky Home. Happy celebrating on Sept 2. BTW keep the stories coming.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2018 :  11:53:05 AM  Show Profile

I love reading everyone's heartfelt comments...Such uniqueness in the way people describe their feelings about certain things as simple as changes in the seasons...Always thought provoking conversation on this forum...Love all of you and so happy to call you sisters...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  5:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Ladies---living in southern WV---the drug overdose capital of the USA has given me a new thought on who are in these houses---and I don't want to know again. I was always so trusting and I went to clean house for a couple I didn't know. I cleaned for them for two years only to find out they were in the mafia and dealing drugs. When I found out they threatened to kill me and I only got away from them because they saw a picture of my husband and his big tall Italian looking brothers and they decided we were mafia drug dealers---so yes I put my bad boy panties on and told them that was so true and they backed off. A young man two miles up from us just died alone of an overdose. I no longer think good things about houses I see. So many criminals in our little city of Beckley and child molesters. I like my own little world and try to not think about people I don't know. No more for me and I have meet several more not nice people===one came on my property and shot my dog===another moved in on us and stayed for weeks. One cussed us out and threatened to rob us after we had gave him money and tried to help him. Strangers can stay strangers to me --- I get home--lock my doors and stay safe. The world is an unsafe place. I do know there are great people and I pray to meet them. I seem to only meet the bad I need to get to church and meet the good.!My prayer is as Dolly Parton's---"Lord---Take out the bad people and put in the GOOD". that prayer is working for me.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  6:57:08 PM  Show Profile

Barbara...The best thing you could ever do is to find a church with loving Christian people who are sincerely who they say they are...Please ask the Lord to guide you to the right place with the right people...Nothing like having a loving church with Christian brothers and sisters to worship with...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Fleur
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

11 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  5:13:20 PM  Show Profile
Hollergirl56–
That’s the second time in the last 24 hours I’ve seen someone on the internet mention people shooting dogs for no apparent reason.
Is this a thing now?
Seriously, what’s wrong with some people???
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  7:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Pets are gods gift to us humans, they love w/ the purest of hearts... unfortunately, I feel there are many humans who don't deserve them. Breaks my heart.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2018 :  06:32:22 AM  Show Profile
The evil man that killed my dog was a man that had done some work on our house. He was sneaking around our property and growing dope on it without our knowledge. My dog came upon him in the woods and he shot it out of pure meanness Another person told us it was him who did it and my husband told him he had better not catch him here again. That taught me to always be aware of what is going on around here---always watch any cars or four wheelers that pass. It is so sad when someone kills a trusting animal for no reason other than to be mean and evil. I see so many people arrested for animal cruelty in our paper and it breaks my heart. Anybody who abuses children or animals is a disgusting useless person.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2018 :  4:57:27 PM  Show Profile
I too have often wondered the history of old homes and the things they could tell. I like to think I would hear of family dinners, lost love, children's laughter, loneliness, happiness, and peace.
My brother still lives on our family farm by himself, it is about 3 miles to the nearest neighbor on a long country road with little traffic. Being a medic during the Vietnam era, dealing with PTSD, and other health issues. This is his sanctuary where he finds peace. I like to think that others that live out in the country as he does also has peace, happiness, and fulfillment in all things.
My random thought is when I travel around and I really look at the different terrines, I think of our ancestors and how hard travel was for them. How did they do it. There were no freeways or nice rest stops with fast food. I see the woods, rocks, rivers, swamps, and the weather. I can't even begin to imagine traveling cross country in a covered wagon. Girls we come from some pretty tough stock.
Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6748 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6748 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  05:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Karla I too think about the women that helped to settle our country and Texas. They came to Texas in covered wagons that held all their worldly processions. Everything to set up a kitchen when they arrived at their destination and to prepare food along the way. How would you plan for such a trip? How much flour and sugar? What seeds to bring to plant your first garden when you didn't know the soil or weather conditions. A lot of unknowns. What medicines?

Women became pregnant along the way or gave birth. History tells us about the men who went west but little is said about the women who brought civilization and the makings of family and home with them.

My daddy's family came to Texas in a wagon train from the White River - probably in Missouri. When they crossed the Trinity River one brother chose to go on to California and they never heard from him again. My grandfather chose to stay in Texas and I wonder what my grandmother who I am named after thought when she first set foot on the wild Texas prairie. Was she happy? She must have been afraid of what laid ahead of her. She wasn't moving to a nice laid out sub-division but to a farm with no house, barn, or plowed fields. It would all have to be built by their hands from the ground up. I'm glad she came to Texas - I owe her - I hope she was happy here.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  06:37:02 AM  Show Profile
I too love old houses and their history. I lived in an old farmhouse for years and I loved it. Yes---pioneer women were tough and I love to read books about them. I like to think I have the best of both worlds because I am not truly into modern living but I enjoy the comforts that modern life offers. Childbirth must have been terrifying---I see so many tiny graves in the old cemeteries around here just marked with rocks and I wonder what happened to them. But still I think people were happy then and not all stressed out. There is a wonderful book I read called Pioneer Women and it tells of the hardships for woman in those days. I also enjoy the books by Janice Holt Giles---they are great stories of pioneer life.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random Thoughts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page