HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  07:19:04 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday while planting some late cucumbers I found an old 1928 penny and I wondered who in my family had dropped it and I felt funny because they are all deceased and one of them had last touched it. how many years had it lain there waiting for me to find it---LOL. At my old farmhouse I used to find old marbles all the time while gardening and each one was like a treasure. My grandmother had found a half gallon jar full. WE never knew how they got there until the 1980's and we met a man who had lived in our house---he said the marbles were from him and one of our neighbors when they were boys. I also find old pieces of broken china in my garden and I wonder who broke them and why did they throw them in the garden. Also this garden is full of disease as it has been a garden since the 1800's. Hard to grow stuff in tainted earth---LOL. Anyway---anybody else out there who finds small buried treasure and delights in it?

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  07:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I think it's wonderful you live on land with such a rich history of your family.

I've found a few things through the years but nothing of great age.

Yesterday my oldest sister came up from the Dallas area so all four of us girls were together. As we set around the table talking I thought how different but still how alike we are. I've known them from childhood but sometimes I wonder if I really know the women they have become. I have different relationships with each of them. To me it seems like I am the one who is closest to each or is it just the way I see it.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  12:30:00 PM  Show Profile

Barbara I love finding old things too...And especially marbles...Always fascinated at how different they all are and how pretty they are when all clean and shiny!!!

Sara I only have one sister and one brother so I don't know what it is to have different relationships with sisters...I am sure it must be very unique...My sister is nine years older than me so she has been my everything over the years...My Mother passed away when I was 22 so my sister had been a Mother...Sister and Best Friend all rolled into one...We are very close and I cherish my relationship with her so much...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2018 :  2:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Judy, thanks for sharing your special relationship with your sister with us.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  09:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Sara---it is great to live on family land---but hanging around with dead people do get tedious---LOL. How wonderful you have sisters! I was always like you in my family---everyone talked to me and I got along with them all. I knew things they told me not to tell and I never did. Judy---my sister was six years older than me and treated me like dirt. She was mean and I was afraid of her---how I would have loved to have a good sister.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  3:00:06 PM  Show Profile
My random thought yesterday was "Thank God there are people far nastier than I am". We went mushrooming and got caught in a nasty storm several miles away from our house. We made it to a small camp and got on their porch and waited it out. While there I glanced down and saw a snake skin under their table and it was nasty. Then my husband showed me another one to the side. I could hardly stand to sit in all that dirt and snake skins. The great thing it made me feel better about our cabin---it only looked slightly dirty after that. Then the storm had flooded the creeks and we have to cross ours five times so it was up the highway for us. But it was rather fun after all was over with---an adventure and we came home with four grocery bags of chanterelles which I froze today. Happy summer days here in the holler.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile
One thing about finding snake skins is it means there's two bigger snakes around. Great mushroom harvest.

Today I have been thinking about downsizing - not the usual kind of moving to a smaller house - but downsizing how I spend my time. Two many good things can overwhelm as much as too much stress. So I am in the process of letting go of what no longer brings me the joy it once did and hanging on to what I am passionate about. It also frees me to pursue new adventures.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  09:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Two bigger snakes is RIGHT and I kept thinking about that as they had a lot of junk on the porch. CREEPY> A man's hunting camp---no doubt! But that's silly as I know snakes don't just crawl out on you. Today I went into the garden and I thought those morning glories have beat me again! They were up the fence and in the pole beans and gourds. So beautiful! I had pulled them and chopped them off all spring and summer and still they won. How I rue the day my friend gave me the plants about twenty years ago and I put them in my garden! Nature will always win ladies unless we keep things mowed completely off and that isn't going to happen here.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  05:14:14 AM  Show Profile
You are right Sara---I have always held on to what I liked to do in my twenties---and I don't want to let it go---but is time to let go of old pursuits. I think an old pursuit was my love of animals---too many and I love them all and they break my heart when they die. I am too old to help anymore---so much work and worry. I do love gardening and working with my plants---that I will keep until I die.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  07:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, every time you talk about being old it makes me sad. I'm 15 years older than you and I know I can't do what I used to but most things I still do but a little slower. I laugh about going to bed a size 8 at forty and waking up a round little old woman of 76. If we are one of the lucky ones who get to age we should embrace our glory years and find joy in each day we are still here and can get around.

How we react to growing older is like every thing else in our lives - it's our choice. Aging is as much an attitude as physical.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 31 2018 10:24:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  08:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Sara and Barbara, I too share the same thoughts about aging and what and how do I want to use my time. This issue has been in my mind ever since the girls grew up and left home. The things that used to consume my free time and thoughts were all about family. When the family became just me and Warren, it dawned on me that I needed a completely new paradigm. No longer were all the Christmas celebration details meaningful or needed. At first it was hard to figure out what I wanted to do and how I needed to make changes. That process geared up even bigger when I retired in 2013.

MaryJanesFarm's influence inspired me to expand my own interests in areas that I have always enjoyed but had little time to pursue. Badges were helpful and, although I have not done many, the process of doing them helped kick start other pursuits.
So many times in the past 5 years have I asked myself, how do I want to spend my time and what new things would l like to do? Traveling has been a new option and very rewarding, but it is the everyday routines that matter most because that is what fills most of our days. To this day, I know that now this process of downsizing, reorganizing, expanding, and new pursuit trials will continue as long as I am alive. I am never going to find the perfect solution because aging has taught me that my interests and needs keep changing and will continue to change in many new ways. What made sense last year may no longer be interesting. I do think that it is the process of listening to one's heart and trying solutions that make sense is really all it takes. When we cannot change, stay stuck in ways that are not rewarding anymore or that wear us needlessly down , I think we find aging frightening and unbearable. Or at least this has become what I am understanding aging to be.

Letting go of old habits or pursuits is the hardest thing for me to do. We all like to be useful and needed in some way. I have found it takes a lot of courage and understanding of self to let go. If there is nothing to fill a void, it feels like a wrong decision. It takes time to find new pursuits that make us feel fulfilled. New connections and time are necessary to give before something can be rewarding. As we age we are aware that time and energy are the things we no longer have in abundance. I think this is what sometimes makes me balk at even trying to get out of our existing routine.

So, it is little steps, little changes, and trying to keep an open mind that I try to bring to each day. Is there a need to change something? Give it a try. Is there a need to not change something? Make a note and revisit the issue again at a later day.

Sara, my Mom always said exactly what your mentioned. How we age is like anything else in life. It is up to us what we make of it and the attitude we frame it in. In a way, that is very empowering because it is true that the choice is always ours to make.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2018 :  08:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, thanks for sharing. You have such a wonderful way with words. I have come to think of letting go as freedom to move on to other things but it took me too long to get to that understanding.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  5:05:17 PM  Show Profile

To keep or not to keep...That is the question...An abundance of decorations for Fall and Christmas...Can't decide what to let go of and what to keep...Does anyone else have this decision to make...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  9:56:38 PM  Show Profile

Change is what challenges me

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  02:59:49 AM  Show Profile
I have already cleaned out fall decorations and now I need to do Christmas. Too hot to get up in the attic and sort and when I do get up there and look around I get a panic attack and climb down---how did I get all those decorations and how did I put them all up! Right now I am boxing up my 800 vintage patterns and getting ready to send them off to sell. A big job---but rather fun. I have a fear of change---don't much like it. Hard for me to let go---but we must.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  06:13:40 AM  Show Profile
Choices - Chances - Changes - Grace I like it!!!

Since last Sunday I have been without water because of under house leak. Every plumber I've called can't see me until next week. One plumber told me everybody is swamped with calls. We've been in a drought for years and this part of Texas has problems with drying soil causing houses to shift and waterlines to break.

So what am I to learn from this situation besides patience? I think I am to do it with the Lord's grace and mercy so then that's how I should treat others during this trial. Before I call a plumber I tell myself to have a good attitude and even when they tell me they can't get to me before next week I am nice to them. So far so good. The more I hang on to my good attitude the better my week has gone.

I finally decided since no one can get to me into next week I will stay with my first choice of plumber. Since I no longer drive my sisters bring me water so Annie, my plants, household needs, and myself have not gone without.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  12:39:45 PM  Show Profile

Bless your heart sweet Sara...I hate that you have been without water so long...But thank the Lord that someone is providing water for you...

Barbara I am not too much on change either...but so much of the time good things come with change...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  1:44:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Sara, what a terrible inconvenience you have had to deal with!! I am so glad to know that your sister is close enough to keep you in what you need!! I hope this coming week will get the problem fixed and there will be no more issues.

Barbara, we all balk at change so don't feel bad about that one. You are amongst friends who have the same feelings!! LOL!! I know that after I go through a challenge, I realize that things are really OK and I need not allow fear to hold me back. It is hard to change our ways and there are always these uncertain possibilities that can feel scary.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  9:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I'm sorry too for lack of water. I, too am 76 and am re-inventing myself. I decided to lead a small group class from church called "write your story". The purpose is to help write, with prompts, the stories of our childhood. Funny, sad, whatever we would like to pass on. By using the time as a ""structured time for learning". Maybe we, actually get at it. It's kinda fun to be three-quarters of a century old. Think how experienced we are!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  03:43:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Judy and Winnie thanks for the sweet words of encouragement - they sure do help in times like these.

Bonnie I had forgotten we are the same age. We must be more alike than just our age. I re-invent myself quite often. Use to be a lot easier when I was younger and dyed my hair. Nothing like being a redhead to shake things up. Have fun with your write your story class. I'm learning to do wool applique and find I like and enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  10:57:33 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie and Sara, I love your perspective on age!! It is encouraging and inspiring me to follow in the same footsteps!! LOL!! While I am a decade younger, I have already experience the uncertainties of what it means to age and how to stay relevant in the game!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  1:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Ok, farm sisters... it's all about baby steps,, and choices and patience.. and Faith.
I usually can keep myself in check,, but I am human,, and once in awhile I let a person or situation cloud my judgemeant...and I catch myself letting anger take over.. that's when I need to say, is it productive to let anger be in control,, or me... I have yes, I have 'baggage' or 'memories' that will factor in.. but.. the past is the past and I have to make sure I am not the problem for not letting go..
I try to grow from my challenges in life, past & present.. but like I said, I am human... thank goodness for forgiveness, patience and a good glass of wine! :>)

Thank you all for sharing and caring...
farmgirl hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  2:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Winnie thank you. When I was your age or a little younger I was fortunate to meet positive go-getter women in their 80s, 90s, &100s. I would like to tell y 'all about them.

My neighbor was in her late 70s when she cared for her husband who along with having his legs amputated to the hips and suffered a stroke. After he died she told me it was now her time and she would do what she wanted. In her early 80s her daughter taught her how to download free machine embroidery patterns off the computer for her embroidery machine. She joined the Wednesday workers at church and made many of the things in the bazaar.

Another neighbor in her 80s worked at her grandson's jewelry store and volunteered at the hospital. She joined the army in WWII; after the war she married and had two girls. After the girls were in school she went to collage and became a teacher. One time I told her she was my hero. She lived to be almost a 100 and never lost her peace of mind and love of life though she had a pacemaker and was crippled from arthritis.

Another woman in my little town was in her 90s when I met her. She still drove - had a license that allowed her to drive only in town - not on the highway. Everyday she drove herself to the domino hall to play dominos. When she turned 100 she went to a nursing home where she played the piano and proudly told everyone she was there to look after the old folks. She died at 102.

The last woman I want to tell you about I only met once in the nursing home in the next little town. She was 106 and still sent letters and cards to her family and friends. She was one of the sweetest and happy people I have ever met. She died several months after I met her.

These women through their examples taught me to have a good life you have to embrace it on your own terms, keep on learning and growing and how to say no as well as yes when something or someone wants to take your time you would rather spend doing something else. Their lives weren't perfect but they all had great lives that touched so many others like me.

You know it's funny but it's hard for me to remember the women who as they aged who gave up, put on their little old lady dresses, and the only thing they had to talk about was their last doctor visit. How sad not to enjoy each stage of your life and to have something to look forward to when you wake up each morning.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  2:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Grace well said. That old bag of rocks does get heavy if we continue to drag it around. When I was younger I would put it aside only years later to find it again. Not so much these days. When you're closer to 100 than fifty you learn to let that old bag of rocks alone - don't poke it - don't give all those what ifs, should ofs, could ofs, or they shouldn't get hold of us again.

Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  11:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Sara those are such inspiring stories of the women you knew! Wonderful role models. Only problem I have is that people know I'm disabled and "they" want to talk about how I'm doing! But not me, I don't have time for that!! Goodness I forget I even ever had a surgery when the Dr asks. After all who wants to remember all that! ;o)
I so enjoy the wisdom of being older!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random Thoughts Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page