texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:36:58 AM  Show Profile
So, my garden was taken out last week when the tornado hit. Lost all the new plantings my daughter and I did. The wind pulled them out completely. Lots of debris there.

Do you think I should bite the bullet and just buy plants? Or take a break? I will miss fresh veggies but we do have an organic farmers market here in town. So much going on, not sure. What would you all do? Gardening is therapeutic but on the other hand the veggie garden has been destroyed by storms twice in a year!

Just thinking and wanting your farmgirl thoughts.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  06:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Nicole knowing how much you like to garden I would put a few of your favorite veg in containers and when your garden is cleaned up you can plan for a fall garden or for next spring. After the trauma you have been through you need time to heal and a few plants easy to care for will help.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  06:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, NIcole, what a terrible disappointment to all of your gardening efforts!!! I am so sorry to hear what MOther Nature did in you backyard!!! You are understandably in a fog about what has happened and what to do next!! My first reaction is to just take a year off and rethink what to do next. No doubt you have made a big financial investment in both your Master Gardeners class and the layout and planting of you landscape etc. Weather has become so unpredictable and problematic in the recent past few years, that I think the risks of productive gardening has grown higher. From an investment perspective, it feels frustrating to see your efforts get wiped out overnight. My own second inclination, if I was in your shoes, would be to take the summer off and invest lots of time and money into using your new Glamper. There are many places to explore and visit with weekend jaunts which would not have to be expensive. Maybe taking time to spend more time enjoying new places and learning about history and culture of special parks and areas in New England would be exciting and rewarding? YOu have put a lot of time and energy into you little camper so now could be the time you devote to taking it out on a regular basis. Without a garden needing your attention, you would be free to just pack up and leave for jaunts. You could also plan a girls weekend by having hubby stay home to hold down the fort, and take your daughter and a girlfriend or two for a real glamper weekend complete with vintage crinolines, cowboy boots, great hats and a teen driven menu. Plus in Summer you can go for trips in the week and keep weekends free for home family time. Meanwhile, you can journey and rethink what and how to garden in the future and enjoy the organic produce from your local farmer's market to take with you on camping trips!

Good luck and have a wonderful summer!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  08:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Nicole--- I would go for the gold and still plant my garden. We don't have hardly anything in here because of all our rain. It is not to late to plant. We can plant here until about June 15th. A garden heals your soul. My plants all failed this year and I am having to buy them. But so much starts from seeds, I can't wait to get mine in. I would plant but only you know how you feel. Our stuff planted later usually comes in about the same time---as my mom always said---nothing grows until It warms up. I HAVE DEALT WITH SO MANY SETBACKS I HAVE ABOUT GIVEN UP, BUT WE HAVE TO KEEP GOING. and AS I LIKE TO SAY--LIFE DO GET TEDIOUS. lol

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  08:18:53 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry you are dealing with the storm destruction Nicole, but it is still early and I would vote to replant (even if it is just a small portion) with plants. I had to replant my garden with plants after I had a blue jay dig up and eat all my seeds twice. I find gardening therapeutic and couldn't imagine skipping a season.

Good luck!

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  08:01:06 AM  Show Profile
Replant!!! You have time and it will be good for the soul! Praying you have a rapid recovery from the destructive weather!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  11:10:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey Nicole,,, I have been struggling this year as to whether or not plant a garden,, so I decided to just plant some tomatoes and bell peppers,,, well half have been eaten by grasshoppers (I think),, so now I am going to dig them up and pot them.

I don't have a valid excuse for not planting a garden this year,,, but about every 5-6 years I find myself just wanting a year off,,, and yet, I love my fresh tomatoes and end up planting a couple.

So,, do what makes you happy,,, and if you need to take a year off,, do it.. like you said,,, we have lots of wonderful Farmers Markets with an array of wonderful veggies & fruits.

But what ever you do,, make time for you,,,

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  4:36:54 PM  Show Profile
I say re-plant. Buy some things, and plant some seeds like beans; still plenty of time. And then there is the fall garden.
So sorry about your loss. Hubs lost his home to a tornado as a kid, and he gets nervous when even a light wind blows.
Are tornadoes in CT unusual? I've never really heard of any in that area; I know we get them here all the time.
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  5:02:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't think it's too late to replant. I have just gotten most of my stuff in.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 29 2018 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile
First, just ((hugs))!!! As far as your garden goes - go with your gut. If it is just too overwhelming to replant again - either skip it and focus on other things this year or only replant a smaller plot or even go with some containers instead.

On the other hand, if you know you are going to regret not having it, it is definitely early enough to replant.

What are wanting to grow? Tomatoes and bell peppers I would buy the plants at this point. But things like beans, cucumbers, any squashes, those could be planted from seed right now and do fine!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  1:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you farmgirls. A friend picked me up one Saturday and “forced” me to replant. We went to a small local organic farm that does the CSA here, and we bought organic veggies and replanted my garden. She said she knew I would not be myself if I did not replant. Thanks for the push, girls. It looks like it is really coming along nicely.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  8:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nicole, I can't tell you what you should do, but go with your heart!!!

We chose not to plant a garden for more than one reason but one BIG one is that we had such a dry winter and the water levels in our lakes and rivers is frighteningly low. Decided we just didn't want to have to struggle to keep it alive in a drought. AND, the past three years our garden has done poorly and we don't really know why.

I wish you the best!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  06:13:01 AM  Show Profile
So I am glad I planted again...ironically it is doing better than ever! One of the best gardens I have planted in awhile. All the cool temps for lettuce followed by high heat and sun...it’s doing great! :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  07:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Happy for you---we have tried and tried and this garden has ben a failure due to the weather---one thing after the other---ugliest garden I have ever grew---but I still know that it will produce---Nicole what do you do to have an organic garden? I use natural bug sprays and
Seranade for disease. But still addicted to 5-10-10 fertilizer in granular form because my grandfather used it---should I quit this?

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara,

I would. Use an organic. I use a liquid, fish based. I like those best. Smells awful for a minute but easy to use. The thing about organic vs non-organic is you run the risk of “burning” your plants with chemical-based fertilizers. You don’t have that with an organic. Liquid to me is the easiest to use, but you can use a powder too. I like “Neptune’s Harvest” - good value, great results. I use it every two weeks on my veggies.

https://www.neptunesharvest.com/liquid-fertilizers.html

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  8:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nicole,
Glad to hear your good gardening news! Hope it continues to do well.

I'm glad I didn't plant one because of our drought situation. Irrigation water will be shut off six weeks early because of the drought and diminishing supply. I just didn't want to try to keep a garden alive in this sistuation, which would have been tricky.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Thoughts on garden. Got ruined Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page