Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 wild wonderful West Virginia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic wild wonderful West Virginia Next Topic  

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  10:48:30 AM  Show Profile
People---I want to tell you how wild and wonderful WV is. I just rode my four wheeler up to feed an orphan fawn. It is one and two tenths miles up there. They live by the interstate and then I can drop down here and be in the woods by a creek---totally alone in that distance. I also want to say that my landline is out for weeks and a cell phone won"t work here---have to drive up the hill to use it. They blocked my email because they said I was sending junk email---NOT! no way to communicate here. Is this almost heaven West Virginia or almost HELL> Any horror stories from your state>

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  11:03:36 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to say that life do get tedious. Especially in a holler in West Virginia. Or as old holler people say ---We're living in God's country. LOL.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  3:39:49 PM  Show Profile
In my travels through West Virginia years ago it was heaven! I loved it!

Farmgirl #7703
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  9:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Dianna---I love your saying at the bottom or whatever you call it. I have always seen beautiful things in humble paces but most people I know only see the cost of things and so on. I love humble things.

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1751 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1751 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2018 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile
It is hard to not have cell phone bars or even a landline. at the camp my husband works at the campground has no wifi only up by the lodges and offices. sometimes it is frustrating but then I think I did not always have a cell phone and an immediate way to communicate. At our little farm there is not always good communication. we have become so dependent on this and it is scary when it is not there. how fun you have many deer. we do also in Iowa. in fact I watch carefully when I drive as they are in all the ditches and sometimes cross the road right in front of you.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2018 :  04:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marlene. I have been working on a letter to you but it got put on hold because of all the aggravation around here the past couple of weeks. Will finish it soon as we seem to be getting straightened out. I don't know why the trials all seem to come at once but that has always been the way it happens for me. I think I will get my landline back in about ten days. My husband works with a man whose wife and daughter work for the phone company and they are pretty important> they got the phone company to agree to run a phone line through our tunnel---under the interstate until they can fix it right. I know that the phone company hates me because Of my horrid long phone line. At first they buried it down our road---one and two tenths miles. It kept getting cut so now there is 22 poles down the road and it cost them 16,000 dollars and the repair guy who also hates me lets me know that every time I see him and that is often as trees constantly fall on it and tear it down---oh my the hundreds of feet of line they have used on me. I feel rather guilty but it is your right to have service .LoL and happy summer to you. Expect a letter soon.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  11:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Ladies---my luck is changing! Am I ever glad. Yesterday they called and said my line was temporarily fixed---the new one will cost them 25,000 dollars. I bet they wish I would drop dead---LOL. Today they are starting to work my road which is a rutted out mess. And as for my wrecked pick-up they gave us 13,000 dollars for a rusted out eleven year old vehicle. Good things have finally came to me. I truly feel God's blessing. I surely did pray about these things. Happy days!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  12:56:07 PM  Show Profile
Yay, Barbara!! Nothing like striking gold up there in the Holler!! It sounds like these changes are going to make life a lot easier for you too which is important. We once lived on an old lime rock road that became so rutted it was almost not drivable! Then when it rained, it became a swamp. The "good" parts were like a washing scrub board and the alignment of our cars was awful! Getting help on a county road takes an act of God, I think!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  4:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Winnie---where did you live on a road like that? In Florida or Virginia? It makes me happy to know that, as now I know you understand how I feel sometimes trying to get up out of here. This road hasn't been worked properly in about five years---the ditches are stopped up and water runs the road when it rains. We clean out the culverts ourselves. I once was stuck here for four months because my little car couldn't come out for all the washouts. They refused to fix it until I called the head of the district and they came in a few days---but they half worked it.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic wild wonderful West Virginia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page