Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 do you really want to live on a farm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic do you really want to live on a farm? Next Topic  

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2018 :  05:48:17 AM  Show Profile
I notice so many of you live in towns and seem to believe that farm life is fun. Children---it works your butt off and you can't set down until dark in the summer. Work, work and more work! And dear sweet Winnie how I would hate a wood cook stove. My grandparents hated doing that---so hot in the summr. I do enjoy my 1940's range though. Being a farmgirl at heart is so much easier than being a real one. It is just plain hard and no time for fun. Any thoughts

/ Being silly---but also being truthful.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2018 :  6:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes, farming is hard work, but so is working in factory, food service, teaching, sales, nursing, trucking, lawn maintenance, and the list goes on. I have lived city life, working full time nursing at the hospital then, coming home still having to fix dinner, do dishes, cleaning, getting little odd jobs done before I could sit down to relax maybe 8 p.m. if I was lucky. That is the way it is for most working women. As for me no matter how hard the work is I prefer farm life, and I would rather die from fixing fence than relaxing in a chair watching T.V. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  07:34:41 AM  Show Profile
I so agree---my husband works retail and it is so hard. He hates it and so looks forward to retiring in three years, and I do have a little odd job one day a week---cleaning for a spoiled mamas boy friend and that makes me so tired---I need to put that energy into this place---it is a big place to keep up. And yes I agree--- I am more tired when I go somewhere than if I work all day here. I love to stay here and work. I am happy I can stay home and take care of things---there just ain't no pay or praise for it. God bless you and keep on keepin on. You're right on!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  3:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Barabara, Hi,
I do see your point. Farming is hard work and taking on farm life should be well thought out. There are somethings to coinsider though. Firstly, how big a farm? Hubby and I want land to grow our own food and to walk our dogs. We don't need a 1000 acre ranch to do that but a few acres is good for us. Secondly, many of us are retired or retiring and still have a lot of vim and vigor. Me personally I am like a border collie. I need things to keep me busy or I'll get myself into trouble and I don't want to watch the Telly all day. Thirdly, many of us grew up in the burbs but visited grandparents on farms where our parents grew up. Getting a taste of a simple slow paced life helping Granny weed her garden, making fresh biscuits and chasing lightening bugs at night.... Well that fever doesn't really ever go away.

I think your post is very thoughtful and caring. Thank you for posting it. We, I mean me can dream about it and plan for it but reality now and then needs the stage.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Jul 03 2018 04:26:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  10:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Nancy---my grandparents are why I am out this 0ld holler farm. I grew up around them at their old farmhouse after they moved out of here and I learned a love of the land from them. My family were the first settlers here in the early 1800's---so farming is in my blood for sure. Can't say I am good at it---my grandfather would laugh me up out of here. He married in 1920 and raised three kids all on farm income and managed to save a little money. This is just 172 acres and is rough land. I don't know how he did it. Sometimes I feel like giving up here but I know I never will. I am too big an old farmgirl hillbilly to be defeated. LOL And yes I can walk for two miles down the holler by the creek and not see a house. The dogs love it and it is a good life.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic do you really want to live on a farm? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page