Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2018 :  9:47:50 PM  Show Profile
About 2 times a year I grate up fresh rodent deterrent,,,

I buy a 2bar pack of Irish Spring soap at the Dollar Tree,,,
$1
I use an old panty hose,, when I have one, or scrap tulle netting or something similar
$0
bits of embroidery floss or yarn or what ever
$0

grate up the soap, and make lil soap sachets..

I can make 9 soap sachets from 1 little 3,5oz bar of soap..

I place the sachets in the bottom of drawers and under my sink where the drain hose exits..
I have had good results with these in keeping lil rodents out of my trailers...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jul 01 2018 9:48:48 PM

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Grace only good old rat poison works for me---and I hate to tell you but mice at our cabin shack eat our soap both by the tub and on the porch where we wash our hands. I think you just dont have any mice. I have learned to use the little mice trap enclosed traps with little mice baits in them because one fall morning one of our dogs ate a big gob of rat poison at the cabin and I was running down the road home to try to call a vet and I met a hunter and he said get back up there and don't let her drink water---that's what sets it off---so went back and lucky for me she threw it all up and it got put in the trash. What a life---if only you people could only know how many times I have ran around here crazy like that you would truly laugh out loud. LOL

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  09:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh trust me,, we have rodents around here.. they would scamper up into the engine of our "Beater w/a heater" old truck... and build nests on the flat part by the air filter,, so we started putting the soap sachets in several spots of the engine.. so far it has worked as a deterrent .. we've been doing this for 4+ years... that being said,, maybe we have whimpy rodents... lol!

as for my trailers,, when I put them into storage in the barn,, I use the soap sachets as well as Dryer sheets (like the ones you buy and toss in the dryer to prevent static cling).. I place the sheets around the windows, door and cushions.. I also place one on top of each tire... It may sound like over kill,,, but it beats the heck out of having to vacuum up mouse phoo each Spring.... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  10:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Grace you too are a hoot but can WV rodents eat soap and the west ones can't This is mysterious. I will put soap in drawers and maybe it does kill them and I just don't know. LoL---now after a morning of chores I have to go take a cold bath so that we can drive thirty miles to get a propane water heater and I swear to God that life do get tedious. Rock on.LOL

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile
Grace and Barbara let me jump in here with my 2 cents. I don't think Irish Spring kills rodents but whatever the scent is in the soap will keep them away. It's like horse apples also known as Osage oranges won't kill roaches but they keep them away. When horse apples fall I pick them up and put in bathroom and kitchen cabinets especially around water pipes. The horse apples should be put in a throwaway container or on paper plate because they will ooze out a sticky fluid. Can also be used outside around water faucets to keep water bugs away. I guess that's more than 2 cents worth.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  1:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara,, first,, I cracked up reading your comment about 'horse apples'.. at first I mis-read and thought you wrote, 'road apples' which as you know is a whole different thing! snorks-n-giggles.. then I re-read your comment,, duh! horse, not road apples!! lolol!

yes, the soap smell repels not kills...

now to go back in the kitchen,, and frost the cupcakes I baked earlier...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  2:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Then why d0 ? the little monsters eat it ?This holler is filled with varmints---coon caught eating our chickens last night and my husband kicked him in the head. No hot water heater until Thursday. I think I will do an Anthony Bourdain. LOL Roc On!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  2:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Grace I haven't heard that term "road apples" but I do have a vivid imagination so I think I can guess what you are talking about.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  2:54:31 PM  Show Profile
Girls --I have a funny mouse story for you. One day we got 0ur paper up the hill and a mouse had babies in it so my husband pulled up the paper box and we brought them home and raised them in a cage at the cabin. Sweet little creatures and when they were big enough we put them in an old empty house down the holler and left them a bucket of corn---how is that for kind hearts or stupidity? As my best friend always said---you are the stupidest person that I have ever met.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  9:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Sara.. if your thinking 'phoo' you are correct.. lolol!

Barbara, you are "the mouse whisperer'... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2018 :  01:57:25 AM  Show Profile
I think I will try this . mice always build nests in out four wheeler engines and even if they still build a nest in a drawer it would still help it smell better. Ill let you know if this helps me.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2018 :  5:02:46 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago, we have a rat infestation in our attic. They got into the space by a hole in the venting grid up on the roof. It took us about 18 months of trying everything before we realized the hole in the vent grid. Once we fixed that and set traps for a few days in our attic, we were able to kill off all the rats and they have not come back. The worst of the times we had them, three fell down a vent pipe and died there. The stink was so awful and when I finally located it, there were maggots everywhere. EWWWWW!!!!! Thankfully, Warren was able to get the bleach and help clean it all up ASAP because I was about ready to move to a hotel!!! LOL!!

Then a year later, they got in my engine and were chewed up into ground meat. Again, I was about ready to gag trying to get to the Toyota dealer. They about gagged when they opened the car hood too..They cleaned it all up, deodorized it and not 2 weeks later they got in there and died again!! So, the Toyota dealer told us to get mothballs and place then in those little berry plastic containers and place them under the front of the car on the carport ground so the fumes would keep the rats and squirrels away from the engines. It worked!! We have a carport so there was no way to keep any critters out. The mothball trick was a life saver!! And .........a mental health saver for me!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2018 :  7:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie.. we too had a dead rodent (mouse).. issues.. the lil critter fell down in between the dry wall ,, and died,, and stunk up the hall way.. uugh!
I had heard moth balls work well,,, but didn't want my trailer to smell of "lil old lady moth balls"... lol!
But,, all in all, I don't envy you and your critter mishaps... lol! You Win! heeheehee!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2018 :  08:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I have a mouse story for you. As a family we are camping presently. 7 campsites full. At 5:30 this morning, after being at camp for 5 days my daughter texts me to tell me she has a rat in her camper... I was like a rat?! Where did we pick that up?! And why do you think you have a rodent? She said they are talking. Huh? Sure enough she found two mice thankfully not rats, and they even packed their own food for the trip! Lol so a trip to town to purchase mouse traps, oh and bee spray as the another daughter has met up with the bees living on the walkway to the bath house. Oh and soap and pantyhose!

Making memories to last a lifetime.
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202

Edited by - danyel on Jul 24 2018 08:46:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2018 :  3:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Danyel.... ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Rodent Deterrent.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page